Pickens County Y Race Team

Gran Fondo Hincapie Oct 26 (Read 8 times)

pschriver

http://www.granfondohincapie.com/ride/

This will be the second year for this ride. It's pretty pricey but a really nice setting and good course. If you sign up for the 80 mile you get a jersey. I believe they will have a band at the after party along with a lot of the local G-ville celebs.

tweisner

It's also the same time that they have the Hincapie Warehouse Sale.  Be on the lookout for that.

And it's the same weekend as Spinx Run Fest.  Anyone running in that?  I'm gonna do the 10K.

Why didn't we get a discount code for that race?  Is it too late to ask for one?

- itri - 

tweisner

Man alive, there are over 850 people registered for all the events offered at the Gran Fondo.  Big big weekend for the area.  Runners in gville and cyclist will be overtaking TR.  Unbelievable the places people are coming from to do that ride.  Have you seen the overnight low predicated for Friday?  I'm shivering already at having to run in that temp in October but it is way better than cycling in that temperature.

- itri - 

pschriver

Packet pick-up is at the Hincapie Warehouse sale. I will be counting on the "experts" there to let me know how to dress.  A lot of the riders aren't mentioned on the Go-Green site but are coming from Japan, Switzerland, Austria and S. America. It is truly an International event.

Any suggestions for cold gear for cycling? I had to cut my ride short today - I commend whoever is riding tomorrow- try to warm up your body slowly when u get done bc it's very painful to thaw out !!!

Lori

pschriver

The easy answer is layers. I am not an expert and do most of my cold weather riding on the trainer. For tomorrow I will wear a jersey, vest, arm and leg warmers, wool socks, shoe covers, beanie and heavy gloves. I will also carry a lighter set of gloves and change out when it warms up. I will also take off the leg warmers and possibly the arm warmers when we get to the climbs. I just saw the elevation profile at packet pick-up. It looks rough.

pschriver

The Fondo was a blast. The climbs up Ceaser's Head are a cakewalk compared to Skyuka Mt and KOM. I was really surprised at how many people who appeared to be good cyclist, got off their bikes and walked up the climbs. I highly recommend this ride, but would strongly suggest training specifically for it. It is not an 80 mile, rolling hill route. My average was around 12 mph and at times I was going 4 mph up hill.

tweisner

The Fondo was a blast. The climbs up Ceaser's Head are a cakewalk compared to Skyuka Mt and KOM. I was really surprised at how many people who appeared to be good cyclist, got off their bikes and walked up the climbs. I highly recommend this ride, but would strongly suggest training specifically for it. It is not an 80 mile, rolling hill route. My average was around 12 mph and at times I was going 4 mph up hill.

You've lost your mind !!!!

But I'm glad you had a blast.  Spinx was a lot of fun as well.

- itri -