Pickens County Y Race Team

Greenville Triathlon Aug 10th (Read 9 times)

pschriver

Last day before price increases for the Greenville Triathlon. http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=2621

This is a really popular event. The swim is long for a pool swim and the bike has a lot of rolling hills. The run is partially on a really cruddy trail but otherwise is a nice venue. We will be having the usual Sat swim at 9 and bike at 10 on Saturdays to get ready.

pschriver

Without traffic control I would not try to ride this route but TYB is offering a free group ride this weekend. https://www.facebook.com/events/302604083255439/

Can't go this weekend but might plan on riding Monday but I wonder if I need to try to swim at west side pool before the race ....

Lori

tweisner

I would recommend swimming there before the race.  Much different than the Pickens pool.

- itri - 

atripp71

me and my hubby wanna join ya'll for the swim and bike saturday morning.  Is it open to anyone and Peter how far of a bike ride are you gonna do? My hubby needs a 10-15 miles for practice for the greenville tri.

pschriver

The bike is a 12 mile loop on the Pickens course. There is also an option to do 18. Either is fine with me

Can't go this weekend but might plan on riding Monday but I wonder if I need to try to swim at west side pool before the race ....

Lori, are you all healed up?

Traci, how is your recovery going?

I guess I will try to swim there next week but I thought I might be ok since we swam way farther than we needed to at Clemson lol.   I signed up for the next to last slowest swim time

Lori

Lori, are you all healed up?

Yes finally I can fully expand my lungs!! but I've lost some fitness and I don't expect a great time at gvl tri but atleast I'm back in the game Smile

Lori

tweisner

I guess I will try to swim there next week but I thought I might be ok since we swam way farther than we needed to at Clemson lol.   I signed up for the next to last slowest swim time

The pool is cold.  And the 50m length makes a big difference.  You get half way there and you are ready to touch the wall and there is no wall there.  You then have 25m to go before you can touch the wall.  So its just different.  And of course you can do it without having been to the pool ever.  But if you can get over there and see what's its like I think it would be good.  You can't touch the bottom anywhere in that pool either.

- itri - 

tweisner

Traci, how is your recovery going?

As I texted Josh this info, here is the update for others - I am running every other day and adding two minutes each time.  I am up to 28 minutes.  I will run 30 on Sunday morning.  Trainer Bill is keeping a close eye on my progress.  He plans to put me through a functional movement screening next week to see how the hip alignment is holding up and to see if I am moving correctly, etc, etc.  I still have some feeling of something on my right back side (i.e. piriformis, sciatica, hamstring,??).   Its not necessarily painful but its just still there.  However, it doesn't get worse.

I'm, of course, not doing the marathon in Richmond.  If things continue to improve, I'm planning to do the half.  That's November 15.

I want to do Tri the Ridge.  Just to wear that Tri Kit I'm buying.

- itri - 

pschriver

As I texted Josh this info, here is the update for others - I am running every other day and adding two minutes each time.  I am up to 28 minutes.  I will run 30 on Sunday morning.  Trainer Bill is keeping a close eye on my progress.  He plans to put me through a functional movement screening next week to see how the hip alignment is holding up and to see if I am moving correctly, etc, etc.  I still have some feeling of something on my right back side (i.e. piriformis, sciatica, hamstring,??).   Its not necessarily painful but its just still there.  However, it doesn't get worse.

I'm, of course, not doing the marathon in Richmond.  If things continue to improve, I'm planning to do the half.  That's November 15.

I want to do Tri the Ridge.  Just to wear that Tri Kit I'm buying.

As always I am quick to offer unsolicited advise. I would not force myself to meet a goal race while injured. There is always next year. Take a deferral and rehab. The Sprint should be fine. Glad to hear you are a little better. Kits should be here Aug 8th in time for G-ville

Are u able to do an easy ride yet? Let me know if u want to this week.

Lori

tweisner

I haven't added back in biking or swimming as I am just resting on the every other days of not running.  When I am running symptom free I will add back in the bike and the swim.  I think I could bike on the SRT and I can swim with a buoy and be fine.  LOL.

Richmond is 14 weeks from August 9.  Trust me, I will not jeopardize my recovery with doing any race.   I have until Sept 30 to defer or change races with it costing me the same amount of money (i.e. it will cost me $20 to defer or change races at this point).  I'm just taking it one day at a time.

I ran 30 minutes today.  That's a big milestone for me.  And I'm excited to have gotten to this point.

- itri -