Pickens County Y Race Team

Memorial Day bike ride (Read 10 times)

pschriver

If there is any interest in a disorganised Memorial Day bike ride post it here. It would be free and loosely supported. Distance and destinations are open for discussion.

tweisner

Traci Weisner, Shannon Leatherwood, Beth Bailey are interested

- itri - 

pschriver

Any idea of distance? Options could include 12m, 18m, 30m and 50 miles. I think it would be a good idea to start at 8:00 am now that it is warming up and to beat the drunks who start driving around noon

tweisner

8am is perfect.  I think 25 miles would be a good medium.  We usually do 20.  But we would try 30.

I can send out a mass email to let all know we are planning a group ride?!

- itri - 

Where are you planning to ride Peter?  I would love to go if I can swing it.

pschriver

I would be happy to start at Wren but I don't know the routes there very well. Starting at the Pickens Y we could either do a route through Clemson that is pretty flat to rolling or a loop up 178 into Eastatoe Valley which involves one climb but is nothing like Paris Mt or Caesars Head. I'm up for anything and I'm sure Theresa is also.

tweisner

I'm for the route with the least traffic. Eastatoe Valley sounds nice.  What kind of distance is that?

- itri - 

pschriver

Eastatoe would be a 30 mile loop without the climb and 35 with. I ride the route about once a week and there is rarely any  traffic. Once you get north of Pickens there is not much traffic. Legacy Square next to the Pickens McDonalds would also be a good place to start.

Just let me know where you decide, anything is fine with me.

tweisner

Ok, so let's meet at the Legacy Square next to the Pickens McDonalds at 7:45 am on Monday, May 27 for a 30 mile ride.

That good?  I will send out a mass email to see if anyone else might like to join in.  But I will wait til tonight.

Modification on time:  meet at 8:15 to roll out at 8:30

- itri - 

pschriver

Sounds good,

1st  Annual Pickens Y-race team ride. Self supported and free. Geared toward intermediate cyclist. I will try and map it out on map my ride

pschriver

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map-routemgr.asp?myroutes=1

Here is a link to the route

We are going on a hiking trip that day so I won't be able to go.  Thanks for the invite!

tweisner

Peter, thanks so much for putting together a fantastic ride this morning.  Lots of fun.  Lots of people.  It was great.  The road signs were very helpful.  Thank you for taking the time to do that.  Everyone wanted to know when we were going to do it again.  And a great big thank you for changing Shannon's tire.

- itri - 

pschriver

I think we would be very lucky if we could find a day with better weather. We can definitely set up a group ride once a month if there is interest. The turnout was great and it was a great looking group of all abilities. I will look at the calendar. As always my, Sat ride is every other weekend starting at the Pickens Y at 8:00 am where I do endless 12 or 18 mile loops until I reach the prescribed distance.. Next one in 2 weeks but due to Clemson graduation it will be this week and next week and then every other. Good training rides but not as scenic. Scenic rides will be in between.