Pickens County Y Race Team

Doodle Trail (Read 8 times)

Well what are your thoughts on the Doodle Trail?  Are there any sections with lights?  Must be great to have a safe place to run and bike.

pschriver

I have a lot of thoughts on the Doodle Trail. I am biased because I am a supporter but I think the Grand Opening was a huge success.  The trail was loaded with bikers, walkers and runners. Smiling, friendly faces were present everywhere. Traffic continued all weekend and there were people walking the path this morning. The path is poorly lit and only open during daylight hours. Fortunately we have over 14 hours of daylight this time of year. Community support is amazing. The Moose Lodge has been passing out free water bottles and asking what they can do to support the trail. Both the Easley and Pickens Rotary have been great supporters. The embarrasing part is the county council have offered little to no support. This was done completely by the cities of Easley and Pickens.

The trail itself is amazing. It is almost completely shaded. It has a lot more rolling terrain than the SRT. Oddly, I ran it several times when it had railroad ties and never noticed the hills. The hills are more obvious now that the asphalt is down. The cities did a great job by bringing in experienced people to design and construct the trail. Signage is great (maybe a little excessive).

We still need a corridor to connect to Greenville but this is a huge impovement in recreational options in Pickens County

Are u more in need of volunteers than runners for the doodle 5k?

Lori

pschriver

Are u more in need of volunteers than runners for the doodle 5k?

Always. The more the merrier.

Yes!  That's why I like to ride in groups and not alone...scary.

Lori

tweisner

There is a rendering of the Easley Trailhead project in the paper today.  But I could not get the picture to post here.

- itri - 

tweisner

How did the bike ride go from Upcountry Outdoors?  What was the coffee stop place like?  Who showed up?

- itri - 

I rode a lap before meeting up with the group.  We had a decent size group (6); Brittany, Mike, Kevin, and some others I didn't know. It was a good social ride but we could have picked up the pace a bit!  Very chilly.  I didn't get to go for coffee though.

Lori