Pickens County Y Race Team

Peter/Coz (Read 91 times)

ehunter

Peter, you told me last year that you were hoping to do Cozumel again this year.  Are you still giving that some thought or have you ruled it out?

pschriver

Theresa is 100% in favor of going. I had a setback last year with plantar fascistic (PF)  of my left foot so it was out of the question. Right now I am dealing with PF  in my right foot. If it straightens out and I can put in the hours this summer, I will do it again. We had an awesome time in Cozumel and will make it a mini vacation. My A race is still REV3 Anderson but  I still have unfinished business in Cozumel

ehunter

I'll do it again someday as well, but it keeps getting more and more difficult for me to work out a fall race. Coz would be a bit easier since it is always so late, but the months of September and October are very hard for me to keep any kind of a semblance to a training plan.  I planned on taking a year off from Ironman but I'm getting the itch again - and I really want to go back to Louisville - I fell in love with that race and venue.  Its also about as late of a race as I can do...its actually almost perfectly timed for my business.  If it was a week earlier, it would be ideal.  I don't know, though, I may still take the year off from the full distance - have to decide soon.  I do hope to do Rev3 Half - but I will wait as late as possible to register just because of the questions surrounding Sept/Oct.  Worse case scenario may have me doing the Oly.

Did you see all the info about Cozumel this past year?  Some kind of stomach virus hit the island that week and many of the athletes were affected.  High DNF rate due to it.  I feel for them - I got sick the year I did it and it was miserable.

Good luck with the PF.  That stuff can be a boogar.

pschriver

I packed my own water and Ensure and lived off of it until the race. Almost every trip to Mexico runs the risk of GI issues. That's why we have antibiotics.

ehunter

My illness didn't stem from drinking bad water or anything like that - I got sick at the beginning of the race when we jumped off of the dolphin piers at Chankanaab.  I jumped from the high dock, and when I went under, salt water flooded my mouth and nose.  Within 15 minutes, I was sick as I could be.  Its the only race where I needed a porta potty at the halfway point of the swim.  I swear to you I did not think I was gonna make it out of the water in time - I got panicky.  But thats a whole nuther story.

My understanding of the sickness this past year was that it wasn't induced by "bad water" or anything else that usually happens there.  Even the locals were getting sick I was told.  Just some kind of bug that was going around.

I'll do it again someday as well, but it keeps getting more and more difficult for me to work out a fall race. Coz would be a bit easier since it is always so late, but the months of September and October are very hard for me to keep any kind of a semblance to a training plan.  I planned on taking a year off from Ironman but I'm getting the itch again - and I really want to go back to Louisville - I fell in love with that race and venue.  Its also about as late of a race as I can do...its actually almost perfectly timed for my business.  If it was a week earlier, it would be ideal.  I don't know, though, I may still take the year off from the full distance - have to decide soon.  I do hope to do Rev3 Half - but I will wait as late as possible to register just because of the questions surrounding Sept/Oct.  Worse case scenario may have me doing the Oly. Did you see all the info about Cozumel this past year?  Some kind of stomach virus hit the island that week and many of the athletes were affected.  High DNF rate due to it.  I feel for them - I got sick the year I did it and it was miserable. My illness didn't stem from drinking bad water or anything like that - I got sick at the beginning of the race when we jumped off of the dolphin piers at Chankanaab.  I jumped from the high dock, and when I went under, salt water flooded my mouth and nose.  Within 15 minutes, I was sick as I could be.  Its the only race where I needed a porta potty at the halfway point of the swim.  I swear to you I did not think I was gonna make it out of the water in time - I got panicky.  But thats a whole nuther story. My understanding of the sickness this past year was that it wasn't induced by "bad water" or anything else that usually happens there.  Even the locals were getting sick I was told.  Just some kind of bug that was going around.

recap:  I  me  my ironman i louisville me cozumel my diarrhea, I bad water, me Rev 3, I salt water up my nose, me dolphin, I porta potty, me work strawberries, I november, me october, my september, zzzzzzzzzzz   zzzzzzzzzzz  zzzzzzzzzzzzz

ehunter

I'm glad you're finally figuring out that it actually is all about me.

On a different note, did you get the email today about the Y Tri Series?  It had the complete schedule and early registration discounts.  All of the races are going to have a duathlon attached to them as well.  I'll post a different thread regarding it.

pschriver

This may convince you to go back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrbxqP5y0WE