Pickens County Y Race Team

Garmin Forerunner 910XT gear review. (Read 161 times)

pschriver

Santa was good to me this year and left a Garmin under the Christmas tree. I have used 3 Garmins in the past (Forerunner 205, Edge 305 and Forerunner 610). The 610 with its active bezel is pretty much worthless. The 205 was nice but the size of a cellphone attached to my wrist. The Edge I still use as a bike computer and is nice for cycling but doesn't switch to running very well. I skipped on the 310 because I knew it would only be a matter of time before Garmin bought the technology for swimming and incorporated it into their unit.

The 910 XT is a true multi-sport watch. I tried it out in the pool twice and it kept my lap count and times perfectly. It does not do HR in the pool which really isn't that necessary for me anyway because I know I will be above my lactate threshold and there probably is very limited benefit in long sub-threshold swims anyway.

For running and cycling it is great. The watch is small and comfortable but the display is large enough see while sweating, bouncing and moving.The buttons are easy enough to push but not too easy that you will do it by accident.

If you are looking for a top-of-the-line multi-sport, GPS, HRM, swim lap counter you should consider tis unit

ehunter

I started using this particular Garmin last year and so far its my favorite.  A huge benefit is that the battery lasts 18 hours - which is excellent for an Ironman race.  I once had to wear a watch to keep up with overall time, a garmin for my bike leg (for HR purposes) and then switch to another Garmin before the run (again. for HR purposes).

Being able to use it in the water is a big plus as well.  I haven't used it for training swims in the pool, but in open water its great.  It even tells you how many strokes you take - IM Louisville took me 2134 strokes.  Lots of cool information.

Not sure how everyone survived prior to the advent of all the Garmins.

pschriver

Funny you mentioned the battery life because my Edge failed at about 80 miles into IM Cozumel. It was a real mental let-down for me as I had trained to keep my HR at about 10 bpm under my Lactate Threshhold.. I really felt lost at that point. I had my Forerunner 205 in my transition bag so I had a working Garmin for the run but at that point it was just a matter of survival anyway.

I think a gear review clinic would be such a helpful thing to have once a quarter, maybe in conjunction with another clinic of some sort? Reviews are, obviously, our primary source of feedback, but it's not the same as seeing, touching, using the actual thing. This could apply to everything from wetsuits to protein powders, new tools to bike racks, eh? Many of you have been around long enough (to see watch technology advance from sundial to digital) to know the usability, quality of a lot of the stuff. Your opinions could be useful.

ehunter

You forgot to mention enduralyte tablets.

Haley, I bet you aren't even old enough to remember rotary phones, black and white TV with only 3 stations and you had to leave your seat to change the channel,  8 tracks and vinyl records, push knobs that changed the radio station in the car by sliding the dial down the receiver.  Oh, you may remeber this - it isn't quite as ancient - "Members Only" jackets?

tweisner

I got my very first Garmin for Christmas this year...the Garmin Forerunner 10.  It tells me my pace and my distance and does so in a stylishly simple way.  It is a small, light, comfortable watch and I got it in a sporty lime green color.

- itri - 

That Garmin sounds awesome.  If I had it, it would tell me that I've swam 0 miles with 0 strokes since septemberish.  I feel like I could beat Eric in the Raleigh 70.3 if it wasn't for the swim portion and the bike portion of the race.  I wish some of you others would have signed up when we were peer pressuring you to.

FYI:  I emailed the organizer of the Greenville Duathlon and asked for a group discount but haven't heard back.  Also, we are supposed to get a discount on the Reedy River Run this year because of the mess last year.  long story but it involved an hour wait at packet pick up and then lost bibs on race morning.  So i'm waiting to hear back about that too.

So i have a Nike GPS watch and it's pretty basic. but I can't find the cord that connects it to the computer and I can't recharge it.  that's annoying. I see that me and Traci signed up for Downtown Greenville 5k....

at least one other person will be freezing their butt off with me.  Does anyone know of anyone else from YRT doing it?

I usually do a good job of not getting sick, but i've been sick twice now.  I was sick on Christmas and I had to go home from school thursday and missed friday.  I did my class this morning feeling weak and it was tough!

I'm officially switched to the M.B. Half, so that is a relief.

anxious to get some energy back.

thanks for listening.

ehunter

That Garmin sounds awesome.  If I had it, it would tell me that I've swam 0 miles with 0 strokes since septemberish.  I feel like I could beat Eric in the Raleigh 70.3 if it wasn't for the swim portion and the bike portion of the race.  I wish some of you others would have signed up when we were peer pressuring you to.

FYI:  I emailed the organizer of the Greenville Duathlon and asked for a group discount but haven't heard back.  Also, we are supposed to get a discount on the Reedy River Run this year because of the mess last year.  long story but it involved an hour wait at packet pick up and then lost bibs on race morning.  So i'm waiting to hear back about that too.

So i have a Nike GPS watch and it's pretty basic. but I can't find the cord that connects it to the computer and I can't recharge it.  that's annoying. I see that me and Traci signed up for Downtown Greenville 5k....

at least one other person will be freezing their butt off with me.  Does anyone know of anyone else from YRT doing it?

I usually do a good job of not getting sick, but i've been sick twice now.  I was sick on Christmas and I had to go home from school thursday and missed friday.  I did my class this morning feeling weak and it was tough!

I'm officially switched to the M.B. Half, so that is a relief.

anxious to get some energy back.

thanks for listening.

"I lost my cord that connects my watch to the computer ,  I have an upcoming race that might be cold,  I had to teach a class while feeling weak, my wife beats me, Eric won't return my calls,  and I've been sick for two weeks now. "

oops...  i meant to say I'm a fearless deer hunter and a rugged farmer and I'm super manly and I did ironman kentucky when it was 120 degrees and I wear camoflauge to bed!

ehunter

I'm sorry Josh.

I do need to be more sensitive don't I?  I feel bad now.  I need to stop picking on people when they are down in the dumps, sad,  and blue.  Instead of making it worse, there has to be something I can do to make it all better.

Maybe this will help:

tweisner

Why don't you two just :   Kiss and make-up.

- itri - 

ehunter

This should go under the thread that Haley started regarding being old as sun-dials, etc.

I was a KISS freak beginning in 4th grade.  And I was a member in good standing of the KISS Army.  Had all their albums up through maybe 8th grade or so.  I wanted to be Peter Criss, the drummer.  I still might one day, you never know.