RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Ultramarathon Training (Read 622 times)

So I've procrastinated long enough. It's time to kick off the plans for the remainder of 2008. So here are the main running goals: Primary Goals July - 50K PR - Planning for sub 5 hours @ El Scorcho December - Finish my first 50 Miler. Sub 12 hours is the public goal. The secret goal is get close to 10 hours. Secondary Goals May - HM PR - Thinking sub 1:50 at the moment - we'll see when I get closer November - Run the Monkey Marathon as a training run and maybe another HM PR depending on how things go I have a couple other 50Ks that I have penciled in - but none of them are goal races - just stepping stones to a better 50 mile finish. So for those that have been following along - I was originally planning on doing El Scorcho as a training run for an October 50 miler at Palo Duro Canyon. I ran into guy I met at Ultracentric who ran a shorter race at Palo Duro last year. After he told me how brutal the hills were and how hot it was - I think I'm going to do be smart and run my first 50 on a flatter course with a higher likelihood of cool/cold weather. So right now, my training plan ideas are to start an 18 week Pfitz marathon plan for the 50K at El Scorcho and just train through the HM in May. I will probably change some of the longer runs to be a little bit longer. That gives me four weeks to recover and then start a 16 week plan (the base of which is an Ultra plan from Runner's World). See Rockenmama's log - the plan is the same. From a macro view - the plan looks similar to marathon training - except it adds in back to back long runs on the weekends.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Glad to see your ultramarathon training journal!!! When are you "officially" starting your UM training? BTW Congrats on your first trail race!!! Despite how you felt about it, I think you did AWESOME!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Glad to see your ultramarathon training journal!!! When are you "officially" starting your UM training? BTW Congrats on your first trail race!!! Despite how you felt about it, I think you did AWESOME!!
        Thanks, Pam! I officially started training for El Scorcho last night. I'm glad I started thinking about it now - because when I started looking at the calendar - I found that it was only 17 weeks away. Where did the time go? Since I had an 18 week plan - I just skipped the first week. The 50 miler training - I will start a few weeks after El Scorcho.

btb1490

Hi Mike! Best of luck with your training! That's a heck of a race you're training for, you sure don't know how to start easy, do you?
            Hi Mike! Best of luck with your training! That's a heck of a race you're training for, you sure don't know how to start easy, do you?
            Thanks, Bob! Good to see around here. At this point - I'm not sure which will be harder the 50K or the 50 miler. Time will tell. How's your pulled groin doing? Hoping things are on track for you for Boston!

WHERE ARE YOU!!!! DON"T MAKE ME COME AND FIND YOU!!! Please Please check in!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Oh Miiiiiiike!!!! Where are you? Like Pam said, don't make her come find you! She'll twist you into a pretzel if she does!
                  Thanks for checking on me Pam and Bob! I've had a lot going on in personal life plus I've been in a running and smoking funk for the past 4 or 5 weeks - finally got out there last night to kickoff training for the El Scorcho 50K. I'm also back on the nicotine patches. Part of my problem is I have too many things going on - and after rearranging some life priorities - I've decided to bail on my plans for doing the 50 miler this year. I've also canceled the plan to run the HM in May. I just don't think I'll be ready for a PR by then. I'll pick another HM or two to run later this year though. So for El Scorcho, I've butchered any hope of getting back on track with the 18 week plan I was hoping to start 6 weeks ago. I've regrouped and decided to go with the same 12 week plan that I used for Cowtown in February. I kicked it off with the first run (an easy 8 miler) last night. After the 50K - I'm contemplating another go at a marathon PR - looking at the Dallas White Rock in December at the moment. I definitely don't want to be turned into a pretzel!!!!

El Scorcho Training Week One Plan Tues: 8 mi Easy w/Strides Thur: 9 mi Easy Sat: 5 mi Recovery Sun: 13 mi Medium Long Tuesday and Thursday's runs were a nice start back, although more tiring than I expected and slower pace and higher HR than normal. Still paying the price of the smokes, I guess. A busy weekend and late nights made it too easy to blow off Saturday and Sunday's runs. I'll just have to call this good for the first week. Just shy of 17 is still a lot more than I have been running. I'm hoping I can get back to the low 30s next week and maybe be back on track with my plan the week after. We'll see what happens. Regardless of the not so great running - it's awesome to be back running again - with a purpose.

btb1490

It's great to have you back running, Mike! No more falling off the wagon, got it! Otherwise I'm sicking Pam on you! Wink Mike, for motivation, I highly suggest you go back and re-read your awesome race reports. I know they have inspired me in many ways. Please do it.
                        It's great to have you back running, Mike! No more falling off the wagon, got it! Otherwise I'm sicking Pam on you! Wink Mike, for motivation, I highly suggest you go back and re-read your awesome race reports. I know they have inspired me in many ways. Please do it.
                        Thanks, Bob! I'm trying to stay in my wagon seat - it gets easier by the day. Well, at least until I stop wearing the damn nicotine patches! I'll take the re-reading reports as both a compliment and an idea! Thanks - I definitely will! ! I've been catching up on a lot of the other race reports out there and they have already helped!

El Scorcho Training Week Two Plan Tues: 8 mi w/4 @ Tempo - Partial Check Thur: 11 mi Medium Long - Fail Sat: 5 mi Recovery - Check Sun: 15 mi Medium Long - Partial Check So a much better week than last week. I'm closing the gap - but still have a ways to go. Tuesday's tempo run was good - but I only managed 2.75 miles instead of 4 and about 20-40 seconds slower than my target pace range. I totally bailed on the 11 miler. I ran a couple shorter runs and then on Sunday I ran 10 miles. This is good news and bad news. The bad news is I came up 5 miles short for my long run, the good news is I only stopped at 10 because I was out of time before having to go to a Mother's Day event. I don't know if I could have made the whole 15 - but I definitely had a couple more miles left in me when I finished. I ran a total of 25.6 miles versus the planned 39.

btb1490

Ok, we'll take it Mike. I hope you had a good reason for bailing on your 11 miler though! Roll eyes Keep heading in the right direction!
                              Ok, we'll take it Mike. I hope you had a good reason for bailing on your 11 miler though! Roll eyes Keep heading in the right direction!
                              Thanks, Bob! No. Not a good reason, anyway. Mostly just easing back into the mileage.

Glad to see last week was better than the week before. Hope to see no failure's and less partial checks in this weeks runs!!