RA Coaching Forum

Late race issues and season plan. (Read 169 times)

I've been struggling lately trying to maintain pace late into my races.  Has been an issue over the past few years.  Have tried to start a little more slowly and doesn't seem to help much.  Not sure if it's a pacing issue or a stamina issue.  Have a feeling it may be both.  Ran a 5k today and maintained close to 6 min. pace for first 2 miles.  Last mile was about 6:39.  Been trying to come up with a training plan to get over this hump, but not really sure what to do.  Have been doing weekly tempo runs, but may try to extend the length of these runs to see if it helps.  Ran a 10 miler the previous weekend and had the same issue.   Maintained a good pace for about 6 miles, then fell off the pace. 

Honestly, I've been trying to come up with a training schedule for my summer of racing (starting in late May and going until probably November this year).  A lot of training schedules focus on getting you ready for 1 peak race, is there anything out there that anyone's tried to get a runner through a season of races?  I realize that I can't expect to be sharp the whole season, but would just like to run consistently.  Thanks for any input.

Future running partner.

I see you have had a really good season and gotten over your late race issues. What are your plans now?