RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

Prophet!

Too ambitious ? Recent races : 12/9/06 - Marathon - 5:08:31 Splits 10K - 1:07:23 Half - 2:20:57 30K - 3:24:40 24m - 4:47:01 2/20/07 8.15 Mile Race - 1:12:30 3/18/07 10.8 Mile Race - 1:42:26 (on a very hilly, net downhill course). 4/7/07 10K Ford Island Bridge Run - 52:03 5/12/07 5K Jamba Juice BananaMan Chase - 24:02 (PR by ~ 4.5 minutes) 12/09/07 - Honolulu Marathon - 4:41:35 Splits 10K 1:04:38 24M 4:21:29 Currently running 6-7 days a week, 2-3 easy/recovery (5,6 miles), 2 easy days + strides (6 - 8 miles), 1 tempo (4 - 6 miles), 1 moderate long (10 - 12).
      I don't think it's too ambitious. As far as I can tell you've been running not quite a year and your easy 6 mile runs are now nearly a minute per mile faster than your 2-3 mile runs were when you started. YOu have a long way to go but plenty of time to get there and your current training looks pretty solid to me.

Runners run

Scout7

I agree with Mike, it's definitely do-able. And I think you have the right focus for now, too, which is frequency, working on form, and building that base. You've got about 38 weeks till the race, which is a good amount of time to really build that base and get in some strength and speedwork down the road.

Why is it sideways?

I agree, too. You've doubled your mileage, gradually, over the last six months, which is pretty awesome. Seems like you've got the right long-term mindset for the marathon. I also like the consistency and variation in your schedule. One thing I would think about is scheduling a short race (5k - 10 miles) or two a month so that you can monitor your progress and also practice racing--maintaining form while experiencing some suffering will be crucial in the marathon. Good luck!

Prophet!

thanks for the input...I'm going for another suffering experience this weekend..10.8 m race along rainforest coastline. I'm probably going to treat it as a slightly pimped out training run...hoping for 9 - 9:15 pace. This will be my longest race since the marathon. After thins one i'll look into finding a 5K or 10k race. A question, it feels like my easy pace have been dropping lately...could it be just from my recent mileage bump ? easy comfortable pace few weeks ago was about 9:20 - 9:30, now it feels more like 9:45 - 10:00. Maybe i should get that Forerunner 305 with HRM and see what the heart rate is doing...
              It's definitely normal to see your easy pace get slower when you are ramping up the mileage or when you start adding workouts or races. Make sure your easy days are easy enough to recover for your long runs, workouts and races. The opposite also happens--when you drop mileage and stop doing workouts your easy pace gets faster. Does this mean you're getting faster from reducing training? No, it means you have fresh legs with nothing to recover from... Modified to add: Nice work in the 10.8 mile race. How are the quads today?

Runners run

Prophet!

Thanks, I actually had some side stitches around miles 9 that i thought kindda hampered my plan of hammering the last 2 miles, i haven't had them in a long time so were quite unprepared for it...da quads were super sore last night and this morning...loosened up quite a bit after my morning recovery run so i'm super stoked and ready for more Smile .

Prophet!

Just an update - been running everyday since the last 10 miler, 46 mpw last week and feeling good. Running a day or two of 10+ pace seems to really work with resting the legs. Trying to hit 43 - 45 this week and then rest week next week to about 35, hopefully rest the legs for upcoming 10K. 50 mpw doesn't seem so unattainable now and will shoot for that after a few more weeks in the 45+. Been running without music so i'm getting the hang of relating breathing to effort and with the Garmin, to pace and heart rate. 8:20-8:30 tempo seems pretty dealable now, so I'm excited about the 10K. two-a-days = i might need to start doing to this to up my mileage, with dissertation defense coming up...i might do one day of this...pros and cons ?
                  Scout7

Well, I know that the plan I've been looking at using has 2 days a week with multiple runs, so it's certainly not unheard of. Those are more common in the first half of the plan, starts with 4 & 4 on Mon & Fri, then goes to 4 & 6. In the second half, it usually drops one or both, depending on the week. I wouldn't make them very long, or very hard.

Prophet!

Captain's Log #3, Stardate 4/2/07 Last week 41.8 Miles. Everything feels great. Been running with the HRM and pretty much confirmed that i've been running my easy runs at the 'right' pace..135 - 145 BPM is pretty comfortable at 9 - 9:15 pace. After about 4 miles HR climbs up despite maintaining the same pace, cardiac drift, is my aerobic system at this pace is not good enough to maintain that pace ? This week (37 - 42 mpw) Monday - 6 m easy + strides. Tue - 6m tempo (40m at 8:15-8:30 (hopefully) w/warmup and cooldown). Wed - 6 - 8m easy Thur - rest Fri - 3 mile easy + strides Sat- 10K Race + 2m recovery Sun -10 mile easy/recovery Have a good week everybody. Modified - Pretty wiped out after today's run..ate tons of food and all kinds of bad stuff today...i'm not sure why...maybe the mileage is catching up with me again and i might need some rest. My quads are hurting for some reason even though i ran on the track for the tempo. Might be a recovery pace tomorrow.

Prophet!

10K race update! 52:21, 8:26 pace. Gun time, chip time 52:03, 8:23 pace Splits : 17:36 (missed first one) 8:23 8:16 8:16 8:20 (last 1.2). Pretty happy with it. Legs aren't as fresh as i'd like them to be but I'm pretty stoked that despite most of my recent running in the 9:30ish and up, i can still pull an 8:30 during a 10K. I guess at the moment low intensity more mileage is working for me. I need to find a 5K next, I think sub 25 minute is well within reach.
                          Nice work. A pretty nice negative split there so you could probably go a bit faster right now, but that is a pretty nice effort for a first 10K. You ran the last 5K at 8:18 pace, which is almost a minute per mile faster than you ran a 5K back in October!

Runners run

Prophet!

didn't think about that way, 5K PR in the first half, another 5K PR in the second half...way cool!
                            muse_runner

keep running.

atta boy! nice job. keep at it! Smile i just boobed your training log. BOOB!
                              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Prophet!

SurfNRun's Log #4 Nice run this morning. Was planning to go for a 10 mile progression but ended up running 13.6 m. Right ankle twist at mile 3 didn't stop me from having a pretty good run. Progression one i started super slow around 10:30 and work myself up to around 9:00 pace for the last few miles (which will be my goal marathon pace come december). I really could have push a faster pace but instead ran an extra 3.6 miles at very comfortable 9:30 average pace, actually i was running 9:15 pretty comfortable but decided to dial it down a bit. Considering this is my longest run since the marathon i felt surprisingly good, felt like i could do it over again (but probably not Smile ). I think i'm gonna have to start having some sort of workouts during the long run, it makes the time go by faster. Next race, Jamba Juice BananaMan 5K chase in May, 10K or half marathon in June.