RA Coaching Forum

Dustin's Training Journal (Read 541 times)

I just stumbled across this group and decided to join and start my own thread to get some feedback. A while back, I thought about creating a post in the general forum to get general advice about my training, but this forum seems like a much better place for that. Big grin I'm relatively new to running, I'll have one year of consistent running under my belt in May. I'm mainly training for 5Ks, with the occasional 10K, and maybe longer distances in the future. Right now I'm just trying to stay injury free and get my mileage up, with some speedwork thrown in here and there. I've done five 5Ks so far: 29:51 - 8/10/2007 26:09 - 9/8/2007 23:17 - 10/13/2007 22:08 - 2/23/2008 21:38 - 3/22/2008 I also ran a 10k back in November (49:57), and was injured following the race. I built my miles back up, and I've been trying to run 20+ miles a week, cutting back during race weeks, when I've got any kind of injury, etc. I'd like to get to 30+ miles a week soon. Eventually I'd like to follow a Daniel's type 5K plan, but I think getting my mileage up is more important right now. Anyways, looking forward to any feedback and advice that y'all have to give! 2008 Goals: Sub-20 5K Run 30-40+ miles consistently Run 1000-1500+ miles
      3/26/2008 Ran ~6.38 miles @ a 9:19 pace after work. Weather was decent but a little warm at 72 degrees. I wasn't sure how long I was going to run today since my ankle has been a little sore from a 5K this past Saturday. Felt good and started out way too fast, my first mile was something like a 8:40 pace and I had to force myself to slow down some after deciding it was going to be a long-ish run. It ended up being a pretty good run overall, besides all the damn walkers hogging the trail in the park. :P

That's a great progression in your 5k time in a pretty short time! Sometimes I miss being a new runner that can make gains like that that fast... Glad you found your way here. It's a fun group.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

That's a great progression in your 5k time in a pretty short time! Sometimes I miss being a new runner that can make gains like that that fast... Glad you found your way here. It's a fun group.
          Thanks! It's been fun so far, and I know that one day I'll probably hit a plateau and won't set a PR for once. Also, it seems like the gains are coming in smaller and smaller chunks. I'm not sure how long it will take to get under 20, but I'm confident that I can do it because the last 5K I did was a little hilly and I had enough left for a fast kick at the end.
            Yes, that is a nice progression with those 5k times. I endorse your plan to build the mileage up to 30-40 mpw (the more the better). Make sure too that you include a long run of about 1/3 your week's total. The absence of long runs jumps out at me when I look at your log. The fact that you have continued to make good progress in spite of this tells me that you have the potential to go a lot faster. I would also advise you to stick with the shorter races for a while, even as you build your miles up. So many beginners keep jumping to the next higher distance in rapid succession before getting used to racing. Finishing becomes the goal rather than learning to race. You are already headed in the direction of being racer. Take your time moving up the ladder, just like you have, and you won't be sorry. Welcome, and good luck with your training.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Yes, that is a nice progression with those 5k times. I endorse your plan to build the mileage up to 30-40 mpw (the more the better). Make sure too that you include a long run of about 1/3 your week's total. The absence of long runs jumps out at me when I look at your log. The fact that you have continued to make good progress in spite of this tells me that you have the potential to go a lot faster. I would also advise you to stick with the shorter races for a while, even as you build your miles up. So many beginners keep jumping to the next higher distance in rapid succession before getting used to racing. Finishing becomes the goal rather than learning to race. You are already headed in the direction of being racer. Take your time moving up the ladder, just like you have, and you won't be sorry. Welcome, and good luck with your training.
              Thanks. I know what you mean about too many beginners jumping into long distance races. I don't want to move up to anything longer until I can run it competitively, not just finish it. It seems like a lot of great runners started out that way. For now I'll concentrate on building my miles up... hopefully I'll be in the high 20s this week.
              Pammie

Wow you are good. Thats an incredible improvement in your 5km times. Good luck with your sub 20 minute goal
                  Thanks Pammie. I don't think I'm that good yet, but I'll take the compliment. Wink Currently at 22.5 miles for the week with two days to go. Legs feel pretty good with no major soreness or pain. Tomorrow I'll either do a 2.5-3 mile tempo run, with a 2.5 miles of warmup/cooldown (the park I usually run in has a 1.25 mile track), or just a 5+ mile easy run, depending on how I feel. Sunday should be a recovery run of 2-3 miles. Should hit 30+ miles in a week for the first time.
                    Yesterdays run didn't go so well. My legs felt DEAD after two miles, but I shuffled through one more for a total of ~3.1 miles at about a 10:30 pace. Decided to take a day off today since my legs are dead (pretty much telling me they need more time to recover), plus a friend needed help working on his car, and we're painting two rooms in our house. Ended up with 25.6 for the week, roughly the same mileage I ran two weeks ago.
                      Hit 30 miles this week for the first time, and ran a 5K PR. Going to try and repeat 30 twice before moving up again.

Nice work! Give yourself a pat on the back for all of us.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks... should hit 30 again this week no problem. There are two more 5Ks I want to do before summer (no races after these until August). One is next weekend (April 26th) which I'd really like to do well at because the course is certified. The other is May 16th and isn't certified. Would there be any benefit of doing a workout or two before the certified race next weekend or should I just not worry about it? I'm feeling a little sluggish/slow lately because of the increased mileage.
                            Still doing pretty good on my mileage buildup. My last three weeks: 4/7/2008 — 4/13/2008: 30.1 Mi 4:56:58 4/14/2008 — 4/20/2008: 31.0 Mi 5:15:32 4/21/2008 — 4/27/2008: 31.4 Mi 4:58:42 Hit 9 miles on my long run last week, my longest ever. Also ran my fastest certified 5K this past weekend, 21:08 in warm and humid weather. Counting that as a PR since my previous 5K was a little short (3.02 miles). My time from that race was 20:31, which works out to a slower time of ~21:20 in better weather. Hope to go over 35 this week.
                              Dude. You're doing awesome.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dude. You're doing awesome.
                                Thanks- wish I felt like it! I've been struggling with the hot weather and feeling really sluggish and slow lately. Cut back my mileage to ~25 last week after running 30+ for four weeks straight (basically just cut out my long run). This week isn't looking too promising so far, 5 easy yesterday and only 1 today because I was wiped out from moving furniture around all day at work. Guess that counts as a strength workout. Big grin