RA Coaching Forum

faster mile (Read 234 times)

Gig

Okay. Enough lurking, I suppose. This seems like a great group. I'm looking for help on running a faster mile. I'd like to break six minutes in July. Last year I did 6:49. Honestly, given perfect conditions, I think I might be able to get down to 5:30. For the marathon I'm running in two days (Rehoboth Beach Marathon), I used the FIRST program. I'm a spreadsheet junkie, so it really helped me. In case you're not familiar, the FIRST spreadsheet lets you put in a target finish time for a marathon, and then it customizes the pace you should run for specific workouts over 16 weeks. When I got to the point where I knew I could do a nine minute pace for the marathon pretty early in the training, I upped it to 8:45, and then 8:30. We'll see. For the one mile race, I've never trained specifically for it, but that's my plan for the one next year. So, any ideas? (Any spreadsheets? Shy)

Lots of base training this winter, then in mid/late Spring you should start working up to 2 track sessions per week (or 1 track session and 1 race such as a 5k). Long runs won't need to be more than 9-10 miles; concentrate on good track sessions instead. I think your biggest gains will come from the base training. Last Spring you had a lot of weeks under 20 miles per week and barely broke 30 other than a couple of weeks leading into July. If you can have a couple of months of running steadily at around 40 miles per week, you'll be in good shape to start your track sessions.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Daniels' Running Formula has a section with and 800/1500m training plan.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.