RA Coaching Forum

CeliacChris's Training Journal Preparing For Marathon #1: 05/03/09 (Read 451 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'll admit to lurking for a while since every time I search posts for answers, I usually end up in an old thread here. Since I'm diving into the deep end with some lofty 2009 goals, it makes sense to keep myself accountable here. Hopefully I'm not completely out of place doing so... A bit of background: Started running in August 2007 with C25K, averaging 15 minute miles at the end of the program. Followed on with one hour runner, and built up slowly, but was still very inconsistent with my running habits. In February and march got an awful cough and cold that took me out of running for 6 weeks. In May I ran my first 5k, shocking myself with a 31: Xx finish. One month later, I whittled that down to a 29:58 finish (in miserable heat and humidity). Around that time, a friend dared me to attempt a half marathon in September. I was going to just finish, and was aiming for sub 2:40. As I built base, my long runs settled into an 11:15 mm groove, and I surprised myself by finishing in 2:09:24 (my adjusted goal was 2:15:00, based on a few great long runs). Right after that, I started adding in some cross training to my routine. I bike to work 2-3 days a week, do tae bo, and strength train (arms and abs) 2 days a week. I started tracking this in my log as of last week. My next race is a half marathon in Phoenix on January, with the goal of repeating my 2:09:24 finish, and seeing if I can knock a couple of minutes off my time. Training has been going very well for that, and I'm happy with my paces on recent long runs. I'm now scheduled to run 5 days a week, and have been fairly consistent, except last week, when I was sick, tired, and working way too many hours. Realizing I needed to get a new goal, I decided to throw my hat in the ring here. The goal this journal will focus on: I need a goal to base build. If not, I get frustrated and quit. I plan to run a May marathon, but that is flexible. This is a run for survival, just to build up base from which I can launch into focused marathon training. If base building doesn't go well, I'll re-adjust. No rush here. In reality, I want to RACE the Marine Corps Marathoon in 2009. No time goal yet, although 4:30 or lower would be nice. I'm thinking a great side benefit would be to PR in all of my other existing race distances in 2009, but that's a pipe dream. This Week's Schedule: M: 4.5 miles steady T: 5.75 mile interval workout: Interval workout. Warm up a mile easy. Then alternate a mile at 8:45 - 9:00 pace with 1/4 mile easy - do that 3 times. Finish with a mile easy cool down. (these intervals have been a slow growth process over a few months, next week is an interval workout with short intervals) Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) Swing Dance Class (not really a cross train, but still a workout) W: Tae Bo 5 mile Bike Commute home (bike is at work already) R: 5.5 miles steady Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) F: 4.5 miles steady Bike commute (10 miles total) S/S (whenever I fit it in around teaching drumline): 13 mile long run I'm a little light on the biking this week, but real life obligations mean I need the car right after work. Ok, I'm off to get my butt in gear (literally). Chris MTA: removed unintentional emoticon

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Oh Mighty Wing

you are amazing!!! I look forward to watching this journal!

Future running partner.

From what I can see, I think your goals are very reasonable. It looks like you have the right approach, by building a base first. The interval workout this week looks pretty good. When you say short intervals next week, do you mean shorter and faster or shorter with shorter recovery? Also what kind of mileage are you targeting during this base phase?
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

From what I can see, I think your goals are very reasonable. It looks like you have the right approach, by building a base first. The interval workout this week looks pretty good. When you say short intervals next week, do you mean shorter and faster or shorter with shorter recovery? Also what kind of mileage are you targeting during this base phase?
          During the first marathon base phase, I'm aiming for 40-45 mpw at the peak. Probably a little shourt compared to others, but the goal is to finish. After that I'll retool for the second, more serious marathon attempt. RE: the interval workout. The "shorter" one for next week is shorter intervals at a slightly faster pace: Jog 1/2 mile easy. then alternate 1/4 mile at 8: 30 pace with 1/4 mile easy - do that 8 times. Finish with 1/2 mile easy. Shannon-- you're my inspiration to focus on this and actually post here. Smile

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Week 1: completed, mosty on plan. Work crisis meant I was in the office super early on Thursday, so I ended up doing that run on the day AFTER my 13 miler and abridged the run from 5.5 to 4.4 miles. The shortening wasn't really a leg issue, but the person I was running with before drumline was recovering from running a marathon and needed to stop early. MTA: I should note the 13.1 I did on Saturday as a training run was completed comfortably in about 2 hours and 15 minutes, or six minutes slower than my 1/2 marathon PR. I think this means I have a shot to PR in my 1/2 on January 18, but am not sure. Thoughts? This Week's Schedule: M: REST. My legs are feeeling things, so I think no exercise is good, for once. T: Bike to work (5 miles) 4 mile run Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) Bike to Swing Dance Class (5 miles) Swing Dance Class (not really a cross train, but still a workout) Bike home (2 miles) W: 5 mile run Tae Bo R: Interval Train: Jog 1/2 mile easy. then alternate 1/4 mile at 8: 30 pace with 1/4 mile easy - do that 8 times. Finish with 1/2 mile easy. Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) F: 4 miles steady Saturday: REST-- possibly a short bike ride Sunday: 8 mile run I'm a little light on the biking this week, but fewer commuting days are limiting me. The whole rest day (possibly 2) is a change, but I think my legs need it some. Chris

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Week 2 of 24: Completed, although a leg cramp kicked out overnight led to a pulled calf muscle and three days of no exercise. I did my first run after the injury yesterday, a very gentle 10 with walk/run mixed. By the end, my legs felt great and I think I'm recovered for my three upcoming races. This Week's Schedule: M: 4.5 miles easy T: 5.5 miles: Tempo + Intervals. Jog a mile easy to warm up. Then do 2.5 miles at 9: 30 pace. After 3 minutes easy, alternate 1: 30 fast with 1: 30 easy - do that 4 times. Finish the remainder of the run easy. Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) Bike to Swing Dance Class (5 miles) Swing Dance Class (not really a cross train, but still a workout) Bike home (2 miles) W: Bike Commute (10 miles total) Yoga R: 5 mile run Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) F: 4 miles steady Saturday: REST Sunday: 10 K race Chris

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Oh Mighty Wing

sweet plan!
                celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Week 3 of 24: Completed, with one missed run on Friday due to Hangover. Lame reason not to run, I need to HTFU better. The 10K went well, mostly because Shannon pushed me. Physically I felt blah and would have likely given up had she not been there. Most of my runs (except long runs) are being completed on the treadmill since its easier and warmer. Not the best choice of venue, especially since I run slower on the treadmill, but I HATE the cold. This Week's Schedule: M: OFF T: 4 miles steady Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) W: Stationary Bike -- 60 minutes (too darn cold to bike commute) Yoga R: 5 mile run Tae Bo F: 4.5 miles steady Strength train (45 mins, all arms and abs) Weekend (around drumline schedule): 12 mile long run Stationary Bike (60 mins)

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

btb1490

You've come a long way in a short time! Congrats on your dedication. I would say if you can train 13.1 miles comfortably at a time just short of your PR, then you absolutely have a shot at breaking your PR in your upcoming race. Your plan looks good, keep doing what you're doing.
                    celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Crappy running week for me yet again, and the downturn in training definitely made itself felt in my long run. I'm going to stick to 5 runs in a week, but wanted a few thoughts/advice: 1. Should I try to run one mile a day? My biggest problem is just getting out of bed and onto the road 2. My monday "easy" run was 1 minute per mile faster than I normally go, and I didn't feel awful. Am I running my easy runs too slow? This is what I actually did this week (running-wise)-pretty lame week: Tuesday's run: Run down falls road into fairmount. My legs felt great, so I just remained where comfortable and even ran the whole way up the hill at the end. Splits were as follows: Mile 1: 9:09 Mile 2: 9:52 Mile 3: 9:56 Mile 4: 9:57 Last .39 miles: 10:18 Thursday's run: Only had about 20 minutes to run after work, but did it on the treadmill, 1.5% incline, 10:36 mm, 2 miles. Firday's run: Worked a 16 hour day and could find a safe place to make up the mileage on Saturday. Sunday: Long run at fairmount park, taking water every 3 miles. No other carbs taken or needed. I attempted to stay very steady in pacing, although my legs were a bit crampy (I was dehydrated from teaching all weekend). The last two miles felt like a death march. Mile 1: 10:35 Mile 2: 10:28 Mile 3: 10:29 Mile 4: 11:02 Mile 5: 11:08 Mile 6: 10:43 Mile 7: 10:25 Mile 8: 10:31 Mile 9: 10:45 Mile 10: 10:35 Mile 11: 10:25 Mile 12: 9:58 This week's plan: Monday: Off Tuesday: 5.5 mile interval train--Interval workout. Warm up a mile easy. Then alternate 1/4 mile at 8: 30-8: 45 pace with 1/4 mile easy - do that 8 times. Finish the last 1/2 mile easy. Strength train Wednesday: 4.5 mile easy run Yoga Thursday: 5 mile tempo run: Jog a mile easy. Then do 3. 5 miles at 9: 30 pace. Finish with 1/2 mile easy. Strength train Tae Bo Friday: Bike to work (5 miles) 4.5 miles steady Saturday: OFF Sunday: 13 miles

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Here we are, officially registered for the Lincoln Marathon. Whew-- Scary. I'm finally back on the training wagon, but my plan does include a step-down week this week before starting the build for May. To be clear: I know I don't currently have the weekly mileage for a Marathon, but this is a "just to finish" so I can build the base to really train for Marine Corps in October. I am also doing the ChaLEAN extreme strength program/diet (although the diet is adjusted) for the next three months alongside training. I need to build core strength. My plan for this week: Monday -- Chalean Burn #3 Tuesday -- 4 miles EASY; Chalean Burn #1 Wednesday -- 5 miles EASY Thursday -- Chalean Burn #2 Friday -- 4 miles EASY Saturday/Sunday -- 10 miles Easy, ChaLEAN Burn #3, ChaLEAN Abs No cross training this week. Any thoughts? Also, I went VERY EASY yesterday on my long run, and it was actually a lot of fun. I think I may have been doing my long runs at too fast a pace (high 10's feels painful after 6 miles, at the 11's I finished 13 and was tired, but could have kept going). Thoughts are welcome here. Yell at me for my pitiful miles as well.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

F: 4 miles steady Saturday: REST Sunday: 10 K race
                          I'm a little late to this thread, but here's something to consider: I've found that if you're gonna take a day off prior to a race, better to do it two days before rather than the day before (i.e. Friday off, easy on Saturday, Race Sunday). I've found that I am often flat after days off. And a nice easy run the day before (with a few race-pace strides sprinkled in) helps keep me loose and sharp for the race. Same applies after a race -- if I'm taking a day off, I try to take it two days after. A real easy run the day after a hard race seems to make a world of difference in getting loose and hastening recovery.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

I'm a little late to this thread, but here's something to consider: I've found that if you're gonna take a day off prior to a race, better to do it two days before rather than the day before (i.e. Friday off, easy on Saturday, Race Sunday). I've found that I am often flat after days off. And a nice easy run the day before (with a few race-pace strides sprinkled in) helps keep me loose and sharp for the race. Same applies after a race -- if I'm taking a day off, I try to take it two days after. A real easy run the day after a hard race seems to make a world of difference in getting loose and hastening recovery.
                            Thank you-- That is a helpful thought and something I will do in the future. I have plenty more races in me. Smile

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Oh Mighty Wing

Ditto what Globby said!!
                              celiacChris

3Days4Cure

On Jeff and Shannon's thoughts-- Should I run easy the day after my long runs as well? I usually leave a rest day, but am itching to knock out my 5 miler today versus tomorrow. For what its worth, Marathon Training during drumline season is a real test. I average less than 8 hours sleep total on the weekend, so it can be hard to drag myself out after the long weekend to run for 2-3 hours. Tony did good and didn't let me come home last night until I banged out 10 miles. If I can successfully nail my plans and mileage during drumline, training for the fall marathon will be easy.

Chris

2022 Goals

Back to 10k