RA Coaching Forum

CR's training journal (Read 632 times)

C-R

Well here goes since we are getting to the start of '09. I thought I would put this out for the experts to dissect and comment. Goals for the year: Stay running injury free PR in 10k (<49:40) pr="" in="" hm=""></49:40)>< 1:49)="" pr="" in="" marathon="" /><3:48) 2000+ miles race plans for '09 sam costa hm - march 28 - race this one (previous pr is 1:49 and i want a low 1:40) st. louis marathon - april 19 - want to race but is it possible after racing 3 weeks prior - want something near 3:45 indy mini - may 2 - running with friends for team in training so this will be a training long run only geist hm - may 19 - same as indy only for acs sunburst marathon - june 6 - still in the air but not to race, simply to help a friend run their first indy marathon - oct 17 - race this one - looking for something in the 3:30s hhfmm - nov 22 - because i'm an idiot and it sounds fun. training plans right now i am building base. currently five consecutive weeks of 40+ and will most likely have 1620+ miles this year injury free. i will want to maintain this type of level throughout the year. my training is a very low heart rate with a ceiling of 138 (max of 197). i do not speed work at this time. i've started running doubles at least once per week to get used to this. i currently run one long on weekends. my plans are to ramp up miles and build in speed and tempo work in a structured manner. i do not have a strict plan that calls for specific miles per day as i need to be flexible. my plans do include having one midweek run of 1.5 hours or more added to the weekend long run. my thoughts are adding this in late jan or feb. i am totally new to this planning to peak and training for specifics. i've read lots of books that provide plans upon plans upon plans but i would rather learn how to build a proper plan on my own as opposed to using a one-size-fits all canned plan. teach an man to fish....... with that i look forward to the comments, suggestions and thoughts. one last thought - long term goal bq in 2010 2000+="" miles="" race="" plans="" for="" '09="" sam="" costa="" hm="" -="" march="" 28="" -="" race="" this="" one="" (previous="" pr="" is="" 1:49="" and="" i="" want="" a="" low="" 1:40)="" st.="" louis="" marathon="" -="" april="" 19="" -="" want="" to="" race="" but="" is="" it="" possible="" after="" racing="" 3="" weeks="" prior="" -="" want="" something="" near="" 3:45="" indy="" mini="" -="" may="" 2="" -="" running="" with="" friends="" for="" team="" in="" training="" so="" this="" will="" be="" a="" training="" long="" run="" only="" geist="" hm="" -="" may="" 19="" -="" same="" as="" indy="" only="" for="" acs="" sunburst="" marathon="" -="" june="" 6="" -="" still="" in="" the="" air="" but="" not="" to="" race,="" simply="" to="" help="" a="" friend="" run="" their="" first="" indy="" marathon="" -="" oct="" 17="" -="" race="" this="" one="" -="" looking="" for="" something="" in="" the="" 3:30s="" hhfmm="" -="" nov="" 22="" -="" because="" i'm="" an="" idiot="" and="" it="" sounds="" fun.="" training="" plans="" right="" now="" i="" am="" building="" base.="" currently="" five="" consecutive="" weeks="" of="" 40+="" and="" will="" most="" likely="" have="" 1620+="" miles="" this="" year="" injury="" free.="" i="" will="" want="" to="" maintain="" this="" type="" of="" level="" throughout="" the="" year.="" my="" training="" is="" a="" very="" low="" heart="" rate="" with="" a="" ceiling="" of="" 138="" (max="" of="" 197).="" i="" do="" not="" speed="" work="" at="" this="" time.="" i've="" started="" running="" doubles="" at="" least="" once="" per="" week="" to="" get="" used="" to="" this.="" i="" currently="" run="" one="" long="" on="" weekends.="" my="" plans="" are="" to="" ramp="" up="" miles="" and="" build="" in="" speed="" and="" tempo="" work="" in="" a="" structured="" manner.="" i="" do="" not="" have="" a="" strict="" plan="" that="" calls="" for="" specific="" miles="" per="" day="" as="" i="" need="" to="" be="" flexible.="" my="" plans="" do="" include="" having="" one="" midweek="" run="" of="" 1.5="" hours="" or="" more="" added="" to="" the="" weekend="" long="" run.="" my="" thoughts="" are="" adding="" this="" in="" late="" jan="" or="" feb.="" i="" am="" totally="" new="" to="" this="" planning="" to="" peak="" and="" training="" for="" specifics.="" i've="" read="" lots="" of="" books="" that="" provide="" plans="" upon="" plans="" upon="" plans="" but="" i="" would="" rather="" learn="" how="" to="" build="" a="" proper="" plan="" on="" my="" own="" as="" opposed="" to="" using="" a="" one-size-fits="" all="" canned="" plan.="" teach="" an="" man="" to="" fish.......="" with="" that="" i="" look="" forward="" to="" the="" comments,="" suggestions="" and="" thoughts.="" one="" last="" thought="" -="" long="" term="" goal="" bq="" in=""></3:48) 2000+ miles race plans for '09 sam costa hm - march 28 - race this one (previous pr is 1:49 and i want a low 1:40) st. louis marathon - april 19 - want to race but is it possible after racing 3 weeks prior - want something near 3:45 indy mini - may 2 - running with friends for team in training so this will be a training long run only geist hm - may 19 - same as indy only for acs sunburst marathon - june 6 - still in the air but not to race, simply to help a friend run their first indy marathon - oct 17 - race this one - looking for something in the 3:30s hhfmm - nov 22 - because i'm an idiot and it sounds fun. training plans right now i am building base. currently five consecutive weeks of 40+ and will most likely have 1620+ miles this year injury free. i will want to maintain this type of level throughout the year. my training is a very low heart rate with a ceiling of 138 (max of 197). i do not speed work at this time. i've started running doubles at least once per week to get used to this. i currently run one long on weekends. my plans are to ramp up miles and build in speed and tempo work in a structured manner. i do not have a strict plan that calls for specific miles per day as i need to be flexible. my plans do include having one midweek run of 1.5 hours or more added to the weekend long run. my thoughts are adding this in late jan or feb. i am totally new to this planning to peak and training for specifics. i've read lots of books that provide plans upon plans upon plans but i would rather learn how to build a proper plan on my own as opposed to using a one-size-fits all canned plan. teach an man to fish....... with that i look forward to the comments, suggestions and thoughts. one last thought - long term goal bq in 2010>

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Ok. First week of the New Year is complete and it was a 48 mile effort. 10th consecutive 40+ of base building. I am planning to race a HM on March 29 and St. Louis Marathon on April 19 (is this too close for best results?) My weeks will consist of pretty straight forward runs. Most of these will be easy which I define as a AHR of less than 134 with one long run and one run at marathon pace each week. I do not have plans for any track work for this cycle. The next two weeks look like this: 1. 5/5/8/6(4mp)/6/5/15 2/ 5/8/6/8/6(4mp)/8/16 My entire plan is available through April 19th at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmDWjMx3QJ7DQ8pHTcgI8Uw Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. I am shooting for a 1:42 HM and a 3:35 in St. Louis.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Keeping up with my 40+/week Added tempo run this week. Only 4 miles (+1warm up and 1 cool down). Ran these at avg 7:09 but seemed a bit fast. I understand a tempo to be a run that is brisk and that you can hold for an hour and that you are not exhausted at the end. This was the case for my run, but it wasn't long enough to tell. How do you know what the right pace feels like? I plan to add a mile to these every week so I can get up to 10 miles on the tempo. Long run this week = 16 and all on trails. Lots harder than roads but I think the extra work will pay off in April at St. Louis. Next week - more of the same 45+ with a tempo on Wed and a 18 mile long run. Following week is a cut back with only a 12 mile long run.

Future running partner.

Keeping up with my 40+/week Added tempo run this week. Only 4 miles (+1warm up and 1 cool down). Ran these at avg 7:09 but seemed a bit fast. I understand a tempo to be a run that is brisk and that you can hold for an hour and that you are not exhausted at the end. This was the case for my run, but it wasn't long enough to tell. How do you know what the right pace feels like? I plan to add a mile to these every week so I can get up to 10 miles on the tempo.
          I would try using a pace calculator based on a recent race time. They are reasonably accurate. Also keep in mind that tempo pace differs depending on how long you run them. The longer the tempo, the slower the pace. Remember that the purpose of the tempo run is to stress your ability to buffer lactic acid and therefor increase the speed and intensity at which you reach your lactate threshold. This is accomplished with runs of 20-40 minutes at LT pace reasonably well. I would think that much longer than that at LT intensity becomes a little too much like an actual race and therefor starts to become too intense to be a training run. Now if you set a pace of say 7:10/mi for tempo pace. Let's say you are able to increase your distance at that pace without the workout getting any more intense than any of the previous tempo runs. This would mean your fitness is improving. If you where to keep doing this until you could run 10 miles at tempo pace then the workout becomes less of a tempo workout and starts to become more of a marathon pace workout, which serves a different purpose. Not saying anything is wrong with your approach, but with this approach the adaptations that occur will differ as the distance gets longer but the intensity decreases because you are getting more fit.
          C-R

Good points Tom. I dediced to punt and pin the opposition inside their 20. I was re-reading Hadd and his LTHR runs seemed tailor made for me based on a MHR of 193. I ran a 5.5 mile tempo yesterday and it was a good workout but it didn't seem too much. I plan on keeping these in my routine and increasing miles on it every week until I get to 8 miles in the tempo with 1 warm up and 1 cool down. That will give me the 10 mile midweek run I think I need and I can use my HR data to see if there is any improvement over time. The rest shall be easy miles so I can build to average 50 mpw. Cut back on the long run this week from 18 to 14. Up to 20 the following.

C-R

Update for current training state. I'm now averaging about 45 mpw with next stop in the 50s. I ran a 10k this weekend and set a new PR by over 6 minutes (43:10). Planned on running a bit faster but it wasn't there yet. Right now McMillan says 3:22 for my marathon but I'm not quite sure although I fit the numbers pretty well for 10k and a recent 5 mile. I have a HM on Mar 28th where I plan to see if I can run 7:15 per mile or less. That will be the teller. I have another 20 miler na dsome longer weekend runs in the works. Mostly playing by feel with long run during (10-12) the week and one on weekend (15 and up). Any suggestions where I might get some added speed. Should my weekend runs have a majority of miles at MP? Say on a 16 mile run 3 warm up - 10 at mp - 3 cool down or am I too close to the race for something like this (4/19)? The rest of the miles are at an easy pace whihc now seems to be around 9 mpm. Thoughts?

C-R

Training is going well. Ran a couple of races recently (PR in 10k and 4 mile) am now running at 50mpw. Most easy with one day of some type of speed work. I have a HM this weekend and looking for some thoughts. My goal is for a sub 1:35. Mind you this is a 14+ min PR for me but that was before I ran by building any kind of base. I call than my dysfunctional running period. Anyway, I'm looking to go out at 7:15 and hold steady throughout the race. Course is hilly for central Indiana which basically means we have a couple of speed bumps but it does go through quite a few subdivisions and so changes directions frequently (no turn arounds but several 90 degree turns) My base is there and McMillan times fall perfectly into place. Since I don't race much, I'm looking for some last minute thoughts. Is an even pace a good idea? Should I go out at 7:20 and hit it harder later?

Future running partner.

Training is going well. Ran a couple of races recently (PR in 10k and 4 mile) am now running at 50mpw. Most easy with one day of some type of speed work. I have a HM this weekend and looking for some thoughts. My goal is for a sub 1:35. Mind you this is a 14+ min PR for me but that was before I ran by building any kind of base. I call than my dysfunctional running period. Anyway, I'm looking to go out at 7:15 and hold steady throughout the race. Course is hilly for central Indiana which basically means we have a couple of speed bumps but it does go through quite a few subdivisions and so changes directions frequently (no turn arounds but several 90 degree turns) My base is there and McMillan times fall perfectly into place. Since I don't race much, I'm looking for some last minute thoughts. Is an even pace a good idea? Should I go out at 7:20 and hit it harder later?
                  CONGRATS on the PR's. Have you done any race pace running on similar terrain as the course. If not, and if I'm wearing your shoes, I would start conservatively. Maybe about a 7:30 pace and just feel it out. If you get to 7 miles and you feel like your not pushing it then you can speed up and run a negative spit. Either way you should end up with a big PR. If you've been able to maintain a 7:15 pace in training for 7 or 8 miles then I'd say you have a really good shot at sub 1:35. Also keep in mind that on a hilly course your mile splits are going to very a lot. Mine do by up to a minute depending on whether that mile was mostly uphill or mostly downhill. Don't let that send you into a panic. Just focus on maintaining a smooth controlled effort and look at your overall time over several miles to make sure you are on pace.
                  C-R

CONGRATS on the PR's. Have you done any race pace running on similar terrain as the course. If not, and if I'm wearing your shoes, I would start conservatively. Maybe about a 7:30 pace and just feel it out. If you get to 7 miles and you feel like your not pushing it then you can speed up and run a negative spit. Either way you should end up with a big PR. If you've been able to maintain a 7:15 pace in training for 7 or 8 miles then I'd say you have a really good shot at sub 1:35. Also keep in mind that on a hilly course your mile splits are going to very a lot. Mine do by up to a minute depending on whether that mile was mostly uphill or mostly downhill. Don't let that send you into a panic. Just focus on maintaining a smooth controlled effort and look at your overall time over several miles to make sure you are on pace.
                    Thanks Tom. I've managed to keep the pace for 4 - 5 mi but it feels like I should be able to hold it longer. We don't really have hills here. Mostly bumps so it shouldn't be an issue. It's a local runner joke to reference hills in Indiana. I like the idea of going out with some left and seeing how the race unfolds. Good idea. I'll report back on Sat with a recap. MTA - the race starts and finishes about a mile from my house (nice warm up and cool down) so I am very familiar with the route and areas. Oh so familiar.

C-R

Update - screw the 7:30 stuff. Ran a 7:03 avg for a 1:32:21. Got in a rhythm and just kept at it. Lots of sub 7's. I think 7:30s are doable for the St. Louis marathon. We'll see. Thanks for the ideas. They made me challenge my ideas and that's a good thing. Recovery run tomorrow and a 20 next weekend.

Future running partner.

AWESOME! I kind of did the same thing today. I went out a little faster than I had planned to and just focused maintaining a good solid effort. I ended up running a really good time for me. It's a testament to what a strong period of base training can get you. Sometimes it's good to just go for it, especially if training is going well. It got Sammy Wanjireireireiereuuuuu..... a gold medal.
                        C-R

Taper week heading into the Sunday marathon (St. Louis). Nothing but easy miles. Legs feel great but fighting a cold. Coming off the run on Sunday, I plan to run very easy on Monday for a few miles and see how things are. I will adjust my schedule accordingly. Any post marathon advice? I have a HM on May 2. don't plan to race it but would like a respectable time (1:40-1:45)

Future running partner.

After your marathon take at least a few days off. If you get the DOMS, wait until most of the soreness goes away. Do stuff like walking, bike riding etc.... to help you recover faster. Within a week you be feeling ok again. Ease back into training. I would say the week of your half to just take it easy and gradually work up your mileage again. Use the the HM as your long run for that week. Good luck on your race!
                            C-R

Ok - a bit of a recap. Ran a 3:28 (PR by 20 minutes). Missed BQ by 8 minutes. This is now my quest - to crush a BQ in the fall/winter. To get there I plan to: 1) lose that last 10 lbs - dragging that extra weight can't be good for my speed. 2) add some cross training - currently I do the 100 push up challenge and I added kettlebell workouts this last week. 3) Run more miles - avg 50 mpw and build to 60-70 during the 14 weeks prior to the marathon 4) Run weekend long runs with a 15% easy - 70% MP - 15% easy schedule: 2 easy - 11 MP - 2 easy and so on. 5) One tempo or track workout during the week starting in May. What do you think?

Prince of Fatness

What do you think?
                                CR .... I'm in the same boat as you are essentially, training for a fall marathon and trying to figure out what to do for my quality workouts. I've decided on a midweek long tempo (about and hour) somewhere between HMP and MP and then throwing some MP miles into my long runs. I'll also probably race a 5K at least once a month. But it will be 2 quality workouts a week. I would think that if you want to do intervals you would probably want to stick with longer slower intervals with shorter recoveries. I found 6X1000 at ~10K pace with a 90 second jog in between to be a good workout for example. Where I am stuck, and you ask this, is how much MP to throw into the long runs. Not only how much, but how frequently. Is this done on every long run, every other, etc,? If you want to lose weight I would suggest trying to do it before you get to the intense part of your training schedule. Not sure if that helps much but there you go.

Not at it at all.