RA Coaching Forum

Max marathon peak / compared to base mileage (Read 312 times)

Bugs

Both my friend and I are running a marathon next May, and we're pretty equally gifted (mid-pack) runners. Our PRs are very close across the board. You know how friends are we wish the best for each other, but come race day we each want to finish first. : Big grin The local college track coach made her this plan, she said I was welcome to follow it.. She ran Fargo last May and peaked at 55 mpw, basically an intermediate plan. She's been running 25 mpw every week since and strength training. Her coach wants to put her on a 20 week plan that peaks at 75 mpw. The plan is nothing magical, weekly tempo run, intervals, some pace runs, long runs of 21, 22, & 23. Does this seem like to much mileage for a weak base? I sort of learned the hard way this summer that if your base isn't good enough, and you try to run too many miles in training you don't get enough fast miles in, and they are important too. Is there some sort of guideline for base mileage equals what your max marathon peak should be? I'm thinking I'll let her try out the plan, if it works I'll use it next year. Smile

Bugs

Hannibal Granite

It does seem like a peak of 75 mpw when she has only been at 25 is a bit of a jump, but she was was doing 55 mpw in the not to distant past and has continued to run even if not as much. If the buildup to 75 is gradual and she is listening to her body i.e. - taking an easy/recovery day if necessary and not doing what's on the schedule just b/c its on the schedule then it may be a plan that could work. To answer your original question I don't think there is a set baseline, like everything else in running it varies from person to person although there are some things that seem to apply to most. The plan is probably what I like to call the 'perfect plan' in other words if everything goes perfectly, I don't get hurt or sick or have a lazy day and life doesn't get in the way then this is what I want to do. Coach's write plans like this with the hope that everything will go well and all the workouts will be run exactly as prescribed, but knowing that things will almost definitely happen along the way that cause workouts to be altered, moved or eliminated especially over the course of 20 weeks. If the coach just gave it to her and has no follow up it is just like any schedule she could get out of a book, it is fine in thoery, but probably cannot be followed to the letter as those plans are always assume no illness, injury etc. along the way.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

It all depends upon how well you build up to 75, and you should have separate parts of the season for base building (increasing mileage, steady or decreased intensity) and speedwork (maintaining mileage, increased intensity.)

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)