RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Ultra Marathon training journal (Read 757 times)

Now I don't officially start UM training until the 21st of April, however I'm starting the journal a bit early. I am in the middle of marathon training however instead of training it for Boston, due to injury and sickness I've decided to use the marathon for build up for my first 50 miler August 9th. I'm still trying to get dh to let me do a 50k in July (running out of time but I think I've got him) Anyway I think writing what I'm doing and what I have planned really helps with my training.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Tomorrow I plan on running at least 16 miles. It's been well over a month since I've ran that kind of distance, BUT I've gotta get it done! Plan on taking it super super easy and slow, we'll see how it goes. If today's wind continues it won't be pretty.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Awesome, Pam! Good luck on your 16 miler! I'll probably be starting my 50 miler log soon too. I'm thinking of one in late October - but haven't made up my mind yet. What are your training plans regarding the long runs? I've been looking at several different plans and am working through my own version. One of them peaks with a 50K. The other peaks with back to back marathons on a weekend. My plan will be somewhat between these two plans, I think.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks Mike!! Can't wait to for you to start one up too! This is what I'm looking at right now (at least as far as the weekends go. I maybe tweeking the week day miles depending on how I'm feeling. Rest 6-10 miles, including 4x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 7-9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 90-minute run 3-hour run (or about 18 miles) 2 Rest 6-10 Miles, including 4x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 7-9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 90-minute run 3-hour run 3 Rest 6-10 miles, including 2x2 miles at HMP Easy 5-mile jog 7-9 miles, middle 3 at MP (5:00) Rest 2-hour run 3.5-hour run (or about 20 miles) 4 Rest 5-8 miles, including 3x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 6 miles, middle 2 at MP Rest 1.5-hour run 2-hour run 5 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 3.5- to 4-hour run (or about 20-24 miles) 3-hour run 6 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 3.5- to 4-hour run 3-hour run 7 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 mile at HMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 3.5- to 4-hour run 3-hour run, last hour at MP 8 Rest 9 miles, including 3x2 miles at HMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 2-hour run 2.5-hour run 9 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 miles at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 4-hour run 3.5-hour run, last hour at MP 10 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 miles at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 4-hour run 3.5-hour run, last hour at MP 11 Rest 9 miles, including 3x2 miles at HMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 2.5-hour run 3-hour run 12 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 4-hour run 5-hour run (or about 27-29 miles) 13 Rest 9 miles, including 6x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 4-hour run 5-hour run 14 Rest 9 miles, including 4x1 mile at TMP Easy 5-mile jog 9 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 2-hour run 2-hour run 15 Rest 7 miles, including 3x1 mile at MP Easy 5-mile jog 7 miles, middle 3 at MP Rest 1.5-hour run Easy 1-hour jog 16 Rest 6 miles, middle 3 at HMP Easy 5-mile jog Easy 3-mile jog Rest: Stay off your feet 50-mile race

So the Runner's World ultra plan. That's one of the ones I was looking at. I'm still thinking/re-thinking my goals for this year. But should have a rough idea in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to see your progress over the next 6 months and see you reach your goal!

So the Runner's World ultra plan. That's one of the ones I was looking at. I'm still thinking/re-thinking my goals for this year. But should have a rough idea in the next couple weeks. Can't wait to see your progress over the next 6 months and see you reach your goal!
              Yep I have a friend who's been using it for Umstead this April. Oh and I'm still thinking/re-thinking my goals for this year each and every day. I just happened to sign up for the 50 miler on a "carefree" day lol I can't wait either lol. Hope I don't crash and burn Tongue

btb1490

I just wanted to pop in and say HI and that I think you guys are awesome, Pam and Mike! Good luck with the training Pam, and thanks for starting up a new blog!
                  I just wanted to pop in and say HI and that I think you guys are awesome, Pam and Mike! Good luck with the training Pam, and thanks for starting up a new blog!
                  HEY BOB!!! Nice to see you! Thanks again for all your support!! Boston is getting close, how ya feeling? Oh and YW Big grin

Had a great run this morning. Ran 12.75 of the Half marathon course that I'll be doing at the end of April. I think after the past few weeks long runs Maureen and Jill needed (and who am I kidding myself as well lol) Needed a change of pace. Maureen did this race last year and finished somewhere around 2:03 and this will be Jills first race. Both are hoping to get under 1:55. Well I think after todays "tempo" pace run they are more confidant in how they will do. Run felt AWESOME! It was nice to see the parkway unthawed, will definitely getting back there to run more often during the week. All in all had a great week!

All in all had a great week!
                      Good deal. I love confidence runs. They make it so much easier going forward to tackle future workouts.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Good deal. I love confidence runs. They make it so much easier going forward to tackle future workouts.
                        So right about that Blaine!!

Got in a really nice half marathon distances run in yesterday. I had actually planned to do a double but found out that my garmin that I had stopped using some time ago (been using dh's) is really screwed up lol. Not sure why I took mine and not dh's but after running maybe .2 of a mile and looking at my wrist seing 3.10 miles in 1 minute and 42 seconds I turned back around and went home to get dh's. I'm not a slave to the garmin when it comes to pace I do like to have an idea of how far I have ran and do to thoughts I had earlier about maybe just doing one run, I wasn't sure how far I'd be running. So needless to say I ended up running more than I had planned for the day in one run. Definitely felt good physically and emotionally. Today I ran my normal local route. Felt so good I was sooooooooo tempted to run further. However I played it smart. I'm taking tomorrow off (spring break started right after school today) and plan on doing my long run sometime Friday. Hope it goes well!

Nice miles you've been racking up there, Pam!

Nice miles you've been racking up there, Pam!
                              Thanks Mike!!

Well I had a great week last week. Did my first 20 miler and finished off the week with a 14 miler on Sunday. On this week's agenda I have another 20 miler (on Friday) and will be running another 14 miler on Sunday. I'm thinking of taking it easy again on the 20 miler and maybe doing the 14 miler as ether a tempo or progression run. Depends on how Jill is feeling. I'm really enjoying running back at the parkway and the beautiful weather we are having at the moment. I'll be doing a 20 mile training run on the 13th of April over at Long Branch. I'm hoping to do it at marathon pace. I still haven't decided on what my goal time is for Long Branch, guess I'll figure that out within the next few weeks.