RA Coaching Forum

Dustin's Training Journal (Read 541 times)

Thanks- wish I felt like it! I've been struggling with the hot weather and feeling really sluggish and slow lately. Cut back my mileage to ~25 last week after running 30+ for four weeks straight (basically just cut out my long run). This week isn't looking too promising so far, 5 easy yesterday and only 1 today because I was wiped out from moving furniture around all day at work. Guess that counts as a strength workout. Big grin
    I hear you on the sluggish and the heat. Dealing with the same things here what with Texas summer approaching and just getting back to the training after a month's layoff. I would definitely count moving day as a strength workout!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Future running partner.

I hear you on the sluggish and the heat. Dealing with the same things here what with Texas summer approaching and just getting back to the training after a month's layoff. I would definitely count moving day as a strength workout!
      I have a hard time with the heat as well. RW had some good articles last year in relation to beating the heat. I think a mistake I have made in the past was to try to maintain my pace on hot weather days the same as any other day, particularly longer runs. On hotter days you may want to consider starting at a slower pace then usual and accept the fact that the heat is going to cause you to run slower than usual anyway.

I've found that on hot days that it is worth carrying a water bottle. I use one of the ones with a hand strap, which involves much less sweating than my backpack with the water bladder.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Last two weeks: 5/5/2008 — 5/11/2008: 25.3 miles (cutback week) 5/12/2008 — 5/18/2008: 34.9 miles Thanks for the heat advice. It's been getting too hot to run long in the afternoons, so I hooked up with a local group that meets on Sunday mornings to do long runs together. Mostly marathoners (including a sub 3 hour, 15-16 minute 5K guy) and a few triathletes. We ran about 10.3 miles at a 8:35 pace, a little faster than my normal easy and long run pace (~9:15) but I had no problem finishing it and felt good afterwards. Going to continue meeting up with them throughout the summer and maybe the fall. They've got me thinking about running a half-marathon later this year! Shocked

Future running partner.

Last two weeks: 5/5/2008 — 5/11/2008: 25.3 miles (cutback week) 5/12/2008 — 5/18/2008: 34.9 miles Thanks for the heat advice. It's been getting too hot to run long in the afternoons, so I hooked up with a local group that meets on Sunday mornings to do long runs together. Mostly marathoners (including a sub 3 hour, 15-16 minute 5K guy) and a few triathletes. We ran about 10.3 miles at a 8:35 pace, a little faster than my normal easy and long run pace (~9:15) but I had no problem finishing it and felt good afterwards. Going to continue meeting up with them throughout the summer and maybe the fall. They've got me thinking about running a half-marathon later this year! Shocked
            I'd say you are already very capable to run one, with a respectable time. At the very least, under 2 hours.