RA Coaching Forum

Blaine's Training Journal (<s>Sub-16 5k</s> - failed) (Read 927 times)

When is your last 5K?
    Saturday. I'm going to do a 2 week look back after the race since last week was a waste fitness wise and this week my goal is simple: sub-16.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Future running partner.

So how did it go!

Week 20 Goals: I have no goals this week, and I have no plans. My schedule is so messed up that I will take what I can get. Ran at lunch yesterday and after work today. I'll probably run at lunch tomorrow. Thursday I'm driving down to CT and as I plan to go into work early and want to spend as much time as possible with my nieces and nephews when I get down there, I doubt that I will have time to run. Friday and Saturday I'll be at fitness seminar. I imagine that I'll have time to run Saturday morning before it starts, but I have no idea if I'll be able to sneak a run in Friday. I'll have an hour drive to get there first thing in the morning and won't be able to check into my room until 3:00, so I might have time to run afterwards depending upon the schedule. There'll be a networking event in the evening so I may or may not have time. Saturday night I drive most of the way back to Maine to stay with friends in Massachusetts, but then Sunday morning I'm up at the crack of dawn to drive the rest of the way back so that I can cheer my wife on in her half marathon. It would have been nice to stay in CT and visit with family and friends, but hopefully I'll get a chance when I'm back down there in October. I think that my wife will be happy that I'm at her race. This is a women-only event, but they have an SO 5k that if I'm feeling up to it I might jump in, but at this point I tend to doubt it. If I do jump in, it'll be a workout and not a race.
        I'm going to do a 2 week look back after the race since last week was a waste fitness wise and this week my goal is simple: sub-16.
        Weeks 20-21 Very low mileage the past couple of weeks, averaging less than 30 miles both weeks. My training is been a little bit off my schedule since I hurt my hip in August, and while I had good individual workouts I wasn't able to get in as much quality as I wanted (or any of the cross training.) I took 3 days completely off in the 2 weeks leading up to my last race, 2 of them due to excessive driving as I went to a fitness conference the week before the race. I got a lot of good walking around time in my vibrams, though, and did about 5 miles last Sunday in them while I watched my wife run her half marathon. This weeks run were no fun, especially early in the week. I was in a funk, I was ready for the season to end, and I just had no motivation to get out and do anything. Switching up my runs helped a little mid-week, but not enough to make much difference. I just had to try to avoid the negative energy going into the race, which I mostly managed.
        So how did it go!
        The 5k went well in terms of it being a race, but it was a 16:30 so this season is officially a failure. It's been a while. I was in good shape through about 3k, but somewhere between 3k and 4k I just fell apart and lost it. I went out a few seconds slower than I wanted to, but within range for the pace I wanted. My splits were 3:06, 3:07, 3:15, 3:29, 3:21 and 7 seconds for the extra bit over 5k from the watch. My mile splits were 4:59 (I should have been at 4:55-4:56), 10:22 (5:23), 15:58 (5:36). This season is now over. I'm ready to take a little time off. I'm going to try to get into the pool later this week and see if I can swim without my hip hurting; I doubt that I can lift yet. I might go see a doctor and see if they have anything to say about it, but I probably won't since it is improving, just not healed all the way. In a week or two I should start going stir crazy to run again and once I feel the motivation I'll figure out what I'm going to do between now and January 3rd, when I run a 50 mile race. Mileage wise I don't expect to be too far off from the 5k training, but the distribution of miles is going to be much different.

Run to Win

Marquess of Utopia

I still think you can do it. This workout is solid: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/debadab61b6945c1a0dce67881c49a98/workouts/56965f35bbe7452eab4aa182f225722c I wonder if you needed a few more workouts like that?

I still think you can do it. This workout is solid: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/debadab61b6945c1a0dce67881c49a98/workouts/56965f35bbe7452eab4aa182f225722c I wonder if you needed a few more workouts like that?
            I know I'm capable, I've just never done it and it appears that 2008 is not going to be the year that I do. Right now I haven't planned past my 50 miler and a return to the Cox Sports marathon next May, so I'm not sure if I'll attempt it again in 2009 or not. I may make the Beach to Beacon 10k my goal race and then just see if I can utilize the fitness from that in a fast 5k shortly thereafter. I don't want to give up on the fun trail races again next Autumn.

Run to Win

Hannibal Granite

I was in good shape through about 3k, but somewhere between 3k and 4k I just fell apart and lost it. I went out a few seconds slower than I wanted to, but within range for the pace I wanted. My splits were 3:06, 3:07, 3:15, 3:29, 3:21 and 7 seconds for the extra bit over 5k from the watch. My mile splits were 4:59 (I should have been at 4:55-4:56), 10:22 (5:23), 15:58 (5:36).
              It actually sounds like you went out to fast not to slow, slowing down that much is not a sign that you should've gone out faster. If you had gone out in ~5:10 (5:09/ mile will put you just under 16:00 for 5K) you may have been able to hold on a little better. Even though I still doubt you could've gone under 16, but something in the 16:10-16:20 range was more than possible with a little less aggressive first mile. I know you thought you were in sub-16 shape, but I just don't see it from your log. I've done a workout similar to the workout eispickel highlighted and was in low 16's shape at the time the difference was and I did 20x400 not just 12. I know you work (or volunteer) as a coach and are very knowledgeable about running in general, but perhaps (like many of us who know a lot about running) are not honest with yourself about what you can really do? As I said several posts ago I believe you have the talent to go sub-16, but the mileage and consistency with intensity with race pace or faster type workouts has to be there. Even though you are thinking of this as a failure I don't think it is. Based on other times you have run this year your 5k is the best, which means even if you aren't where you want to be you're better than you were and that is an accomplishment, either that or you are just more suited to 5k which could also be true.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

It actually sounds like you went out to fast not to slow, slowing down that much is not a sign that you should've gone out faster.
                Normally yes, but not on this course. On this course, you have a mile+ of net downhill running, all of which comes back in about a 800-900m culminating a half mile before the finish line. If you don't go out fast, you aren't going to get your time.
                I know you thought you were in sub-16 shape, but I just don't see it from your log. I've done a workout similar to the workout eispickel highlighted and was in low 16's shape at the time the difference was and I did 20x400 not just 12. I know you work (or volunteer) as a coach and are very knowledgeable about running in general, but perhaps (like many of us who know a lot about running) are not honest with yourself about what you can really do?
                I know that I didn't have the workouts that I wanted 'cuz of the hip, although I was on track to get them in. I was still in better shape this year despite the past month+ than I was last year, when I ran basically the same time just a few weeks after a 50k. I think that given good racing conditions (read: not 100% humidity like all 3 races were) that I still could have done it, but I didn't. Which leads to...
                Even though you are thinking of this as a failure I don't think it is. Based on other times you have run this year your 5k is the best, which means even if you aren't where you want to be you're better than you were and that is an accomplishment, either that or you are just more suited to 5k which could also be true.
                The goal this season was sub-16. I failed to run under 16 minutes. How is that not a failure? As I've said before, I don't see failure as a bad thing. It's merely means that I didn't reach the mark that I set for myself. I have plenty of excuses, and whether my problem came from training, goal setting, or just bad luck doesn't really matter. I don't say that what I did this season isn't a good accomplishment and that I'm not proud of how I ran. Just that I didn't run what I said that I would 4 months ago. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't believe that the current political correctness that requires that all kids in grade school get a ribbon just for showing up is a good thing. I want to have goals to strive for and I want to recognize when I don't make them. I also want to recognize when I do make my goals, and enjoy making them, which is all the better when they are something that I have to work for and that don't just come easy. Most things in my life have come easy and I've been able to laze my way through them. Running is about the only thing I have to work this hard at to do well in. I do appreciate the feedback, even if I do disagree with your assessment. (I also think that my marathon was a better accomplishment than a couple more mid-16 5ks, as well as training through a 34-low 10k for that matter.)

Run to Win

Future running partner.

Looks like you put in a real solid effort and you did the best you could given the circumstances. 16:30 is still a great time. I think your right when it comes to setting a tough long term goal. If you don't make it there are usually other successes that come out of the process to be proud of. Also by not making your goal, you'll have more motivation and experiences to learn from to help you be more prepared next year. When you do eventually break 16, the rush will be even greater. It's as if failures add to the emotional jackpot that you win when you succeed.