RA Coaching Forum

Eispickel Training (4-1)!!! (Read 858 times)

Marquess of Utopia

Week 11 & 12 completed: Week 11:Monday & Tuesday were hot as hell but the weather was cool for the reminder of the week; what a difference that makes. 4 miles Tempo Tues. Thursday 6 x 1.2Km; 4:09 - 4:14; heart rate topped at only at 192 but I could move my legs any faster. Saturday was a solid endurance workout too 15 miles with 6 miles under 6:40 pace with the fastest mile ran uphill (6:28). Week 12: I'll start this story on Saturday night at my wife's cousin's wedding. The night started with way too much drinking. I got up early the next morning and ate a big breakfast, drank several cups of coffee, and swam laps in the pool. I was feeling fine. At the gift opening I was stung by a yellow jacket, and 10 minutes later I was feeling woozy, I looked pale. I went to the bathroom, sat down and the next thing I knew my skin was numb and I was dizzy and in a haze. I went to the hospital, they ran blood tests, CT scan to rule out stroke. My electrolyte levels were normal. They discharged me four hours later and they wanted me to see my family doctor the next day. The doctor thought it was a "perfect storm" since I'm not really allergic to bees and I didn't have any swelling, but my finger was itching for two days from the sting. The docter wanted me to take it easy so I rested Tuesday. After this experience I've almost decided to never drink again; I usually only have 2-3 drinks per month and I'll probably stick with that. With anything it’s about moderation; I was just stupid to try to drink with guys almost twice my weight. To top it off it was a really stressful/busy week at work so when I was able to run I had to cut it short. Thursday, very humid I ran a few solid 1Km's but I really fell off at the end. Saturday felt great, one of my running buddies wanted to run 20 miles at 7:00 pace. We ran fairly consistent splits the first 18 miles and were at 6:50 pace; we slowed it down at the end (I averaged 6:55 pace for 22.6 miles). This week: 5 miles of tempo on Tuesday; 8 x 800’s on Thursday. 17 miles on Saturday. ~ 62 miles total

Future running partner.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious. For me the binge drinking seems to happen about once or twice a year and I always say the same thing "NEVER AGAIN!", but somehow... Yes

Marquess of Utopia

Week 13: 7 miles easy Tuesday morning; then 8 miles with 5 miles at 6:00 pace over lunch. The weather was nice; I felt like this was my best tempo run in a long time. I didn't run on Wednesday; I was too busy with work. Thursday was another solid workout: 9 x 800s averaged 2:50, with about a minute rest. On Saturday I ran without a watch; we started at an easy pace, finished at about marathon pace. Race week:
        • 4 miles of tempo on Tuesday.
        • 1 minute strides on Thursday.
        • 10 mile race on Sunday. Race goals: - Set a PR (I could set a PR in my sleep, last year I ran 10 miles before the race and then ran at my goal marathon pace). - Run under an hour.
          I haven't been hitting my weekly mileage for the past two weeks. I was looking over my training plan and realized that my goal race is less than four weeks away. It's time to increase the intensity and cut back on mileage. (51 miles this week)

Marquess of Utopia

Week 14: Solid 4 mile tempo Tuesday. Strides on Thursday; 200 - 400 meter fartleks at 5:30 - 4:50 pace. Finished with a 1200m at 6:00 pace. The race went well on Saturday. It was foggy and in the low 60s. On pace the first two miles, The two mile hill was harder than I thought it would be; I wanted to hit 6:10's on the hill but I was closer to 6:20. The 5th mile was a few seconds over six minute pace, I felt like I was recovering from the hill. I dug deep the last 5 miles to try to make up for some slow miles. At this point I could hear people cheering for the first female. Kudos to Kip who decided to take a picture of me instead of Ashley when forced to choose. He sure is a loyal guy, except he was also noted saying "go catch that guy Ashley" he was also heard grumbling about a lost opportunity after his loyal gesture. 5:40 for the last mile gave me 14 second lead over Ashley, but still 12 seconds off the 1 hour mark. At he beginning of the year I thought a 1:04 - 1:02 10 mile would be a good goal. I knew I was in good enough shape to run sub 1 hour, but on a hilly course it wasn't in the cards this week. Very Successful race! Three weeks until my half marathon. Vacation week: I don't have a lot of plans this week for running. I going on a climbing trip to Longs Peak this week. I would like to run 20 miles on Wednesday. I would also like to run at least 2 out of the 4 days of the trip. (above 9000 feet) (50-55 miles?)

Nice race! Way to avoid getting girled. And you can't blame him for cheering her on too; I've been known to offer conflicting advice to runners to keep both of them motivated. You both ran better as a result, I'm sure.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Marquess of Utopia

Vacation week: Easy on Monday. Tempo on Tuesday, then two runs on Wednesday (14 + 6). Off the rest of the week. I added 6 miles hiking on Friday and 12 miles hiking and climbing on Saturday to my logs. (it wasn't running but it was strenght balance and an endurance test.) 35-40lbs backpack, elevation from: 9,425' - 14,251'. Week 16: Tuesday Tempo. I may go a little slower than usual; I'm still recovering from climbing and I feel that I'm on the edge of catching a cold. Intervals Thursday, 12 - 14 long run Saturday. (~50 miles)

Marquess of Utopia

On 10/11 I ran a 5 mile XC race at a controlled tempo pace with a 4 mile warm-up and 3 mile cool-down. Last week I rested all week because of shin splints. I blew up in the half marathon; my heart rate was higher then normal for the pace I was running but my breathing was relaxed. Calves cramped up, low energy level, serious side-ache during the last mile. Now I'm worried about the marathon in less than 4 weeks. I would like to hit these splits for the first 22 miles (which is much slower than my original plan of 6:40 - 6:50 pace): 1- 7:15 ……… 12- 7:05 2- 7:10 ……… 13- 7:05 3- 7:05 ……… 14- 7:05 4- 7:05 ……… 15- 7:05 5- 7:05 ……… 16- 7:05 6- 7:05 ……… 17- 7:05 7- 7:05 ……… 18- 7:00 8- 7:05 ……… 19- 7:00 9- 7:05 ……… 20- 7:00 10- 7:05 ……… 21- 7:00 11- 7:05 ……… 22- 7:00

Marquess of Utopia

Completed Weeks: 18, 19, 20 My shins have been feeling better everyday. I have been avoiding 6 minute pace or faster becase that seems to make my shins hurt more. I logged a 16 miler a week after the half marathon, then another one on the following wednesday; an 18 miler on 11/1 and 12 miles on 11/8. It's all about the taper this week, I've been setting my pace between 7:40 and 6:20. 5 more days to the marathon.

Oh Mighty Wing

glad your shins are feeling better. Yeah for Taper!

Marquess of Utopia

This was a tough week. Ran a marathon in 3:02:45 on Sunday (and didn't blow up). Completed in a club Pentathlon on Thursday and won the 1500 in cold windy conditions. To finish my races for the 2008 year I ran in North America's largest cross country race (Living History Farms) My goal was just to run faster than last year; because my legs are completely shot. I ran about 3 minutes faster!!! Now it's time to take it easy get fat next week ! Big grin

Future running partner.

Awesome races. You should be able to do sub 3 hrs your next mary!