RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

Prophet!

Right after a great few weeks of mileage buildup, culminating in a nice 50 mpw week, i caught a cold on monday and now feel like death looms over me. All things sore from the running are magnified by the cold. Maybe the 10% rule monster got me, maybe my limit is 50 mpw. Its frustrating to think that i may not be able to run 50mpw without getting sick. Oh well, focus on getting healthy this week and maybe stick around 40 for a while.
      Steve, I hear ya. I had a 52 mile week last week, ending with a halfway decent 20-mile long run, then wham-o! Hit by a killer cold. Kiddo has an ear infection and pink eye. Sleep is non-existant. I have a tune-up/benchmark HM on Sun that I am dredding. Oh well. HTFU and all that. Back on point, your training is going well. Keep it up.
        Right after a great few weeks of mileage buildup, culminating in a nice 50 mpw week, i caught a cold on monday and now feel like death looms over me. All things sore from the running are magnified by the cold. Maybe the 10% rule monster got me, maybe my limit is 50 mpw. Its frustrating to think that i may not be able to run 50mpw without getting sick. Oh well, focus on getting healthy this week and maybe stick around 40 for a while.
        You'll get there, dude. I think sticking around 40 until you feel strong again will help.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

the quest continues. I think i'm slowly getting into shape. Did a half-mary on sunday, planning to goal MP the whole race and do sub 2:00. 1:57 + change so goal achieved. Start of the 18 week marathon training for goal marathon is only 8 weeks away so I think i'm in pretty good shape for sub 4. Now to get my weight done to a fighting weight of 165 (180 now) would definitely get me there. I'm slowly getting comfortable to 40 mpw, although with a new job i have had to do all my runs at 4:30 AM and just can't quite get enough sleep that come sunday i'm pretty much toasted. The next 8 weeks will be focused on just lots of easy runs + strides + tempo and work my long run up to 18. I'm looking at peaking maybe to 45 - 50 mpw before taking an easy week before the start of marathon training.
            Dude - sounds like a good plan! Stick with it and I think you are set for the sub-4. You've been racking up some nice weeks these last few months. Are you running any hills? I don't know much about getting up at 4:30 everyday - but it'll be a habit soon. And nice job on the sub-2 - it always rocks when the plan comes together.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prophet!

Dude - sounds like a good plan! Stick with it and I think you are set for the sub-4. You've been racking up some nice weeks these last few months. Are you running any hills? I don't know much about getting up at 4:30 everyday - but it'll be a habit soon. And nice job on the sub-2 - it always rocks when the plan comes together.
              Yah, I've been trying to really aim for consistency. If only i can get more sleep then I think i should recover faster. All my runs pretty much have gentle downhill at the beginning , few bumps and a medium hill. Not getting up the hill any faster but definitely can feel more comfortable going up the hill at the same pace. I've pretty much ditched the HR except on my long runs where i still want to keep track of what my hr is at towards the end. Last sunday 15 miler felt pretty good. This week I'll step it back to 12 for the long run and then 16 next week, 12, and then 18. Then chill for a bit before starting the 18 week plan. As far as the losing weight part, I do pretty good for 6 out of the seven days of the week as far as eating go. But for some reason, the mighty one decided that that one day out of the week that I splurged trumps the other 6 good days.

Prophet!

so, year three won't be the year for sub 4 hrs for me. Missed way too many weeks of running...at least i got few longish run in so i think i will survive. Any thoughts on doing a 2.5 mile race the day before the marathon ? I promised that I'd help out a kid by by being his partner in a biathlon ?

Future running partner.

Depends on how hard you do the race. I ran 3 easy miles the day before my mary and I think it actually helped me. If you do it too hard though your legs might feel a little dead the next day.

Prophet!

Third year of the quest and not getting any closer. The only positive thing coming out of this year is that i pretty much managed to not cramp up until mile 24. Time to start training for next year.