RA Coaching Forum

MRPH's Fall Marathon Training Journal (Read 543 times)

Prince of Fatness

July is just about over so just a little progress report here.

• This was a solid month as far as mileage goes.  I was consistently in the mid 50s per week.  This was my 5th straight 200+ mile month.  The base is there.
    • I lowered my 5 mile PR by 37 seconds to 33:37.  This was a big confidence builder.
    • Long runs have been solid.  The last one was a little over 18 miles with 5 at MP.

I am pretty happy with where I am at.  Plans for August...

• I have two races, a 5K next week and a 5 miler in three weeks.
    • I want to get at least two more decent length long runs in.  I am not obsessed with getting a 20 miler in.  I just want to get close to 3 hours.  That will be pretty darn close to 20 anyway.
    • I need to start thinking about stuff like taper, fueling, hydration, etc.
    Six weeks to go .... race day will be here before I know.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Solid work Tater. Are you going to crack that sub 20? I think so.

As for the 20 miler, I am now of the belief (after listening and reading from some fast dudes) that the number of miles of MP during the long run is the key. When you can get 10 or more of these, that magic 20 seems irrelevant.

Keep it rolling and looking forward to seeing you in Boston!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Solid work Tater. Are you going to crack that sub 20? I think so.

As for the 20 miler, I am now of the belief (after listening and reading from some fast dudes) that the number of miles of MP during the long run is the key. When you can get 10 or more of these, that magic 20 seems irrelevant.

Keep it rolling and looking forward to seeing you in Boston!

Thanks.

Never say never but a sub 20 next week is unlikely.  That course isn't easy.  I'm pretty sure that I am not at the point where I can go sub 20 on any course.  That 5 miler I ran a couple of weeks ago was at the shore, fast and flat.  That race was a good indicator of what I am capable on a fast course.  I know I'm getting close to a sub 20 and want to make a run for it after I get this marathon out of the way.

I'm not sure I'll get up to 10 MP on my long run this go around.  Probably more like 6 or 7, and I am running MP miles toward the end of the run, which I think is better.  But I do agree with you, and if I were to make a change for the next cycle it would be to add more quality to the long run, not miles.  Honestly I don't see a reason to ever be out there for more than 3 hours anyway.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

I agree on the 3 hour thing. I read something similar (can't recall which book though) that mentioned you should be out a max of how long you think it will take you to finish and add quality in that time. So for you and me, that would be 3:20:58 (hey I always need a little cushion).

Personally, this is my strategy during this cycle. I will be at 3 MP on the long run this weekend but that's after a hard 5k the day prior. Those MPs hurt if you also race that weekend. I have tons more respect for those runners that can do more than two quality sessions per week and not get injured.

You're on the right track in my book. But then again, what the hell do I know about running. I'm a golfer.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Prince of Fatness

I went back and checked my log.  I ran at least 4 MP miles in my LR every weekend starting June 13 (except the weekend of my 5 mile race), so by the time my race comes around I'll have a couple months of doing that.  I'm hoping that is enough.  We'll see.  And as we have said, I'll know what to do next time.  The good news is that 8 minute miles feel pretty easy and I have been catching myself dropping the pace 10 seconds or so per mile.  I feel real confident that I can hit 20 miles in 2:40.  We'll see what happens after that.

Funny you mention golf.  I used to play all of the time but since my running has picked up I haven't played all that much.  I haven't even swung a club this year.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Plans for August...

• I have two races, a 5K next week and a 5 miler in three weeks.
              • I want to get at least two more decent length long runs in.  I am not obsessed with getting a 20 miler in.  I just want to get close to 3 hours.  That will be pretty darn close to 20 anyway.
              • I need to start thinking about stuff like taper, fueling, hydration, etc.

3 weeks to go.  The two races in August went OK.  It was warm and very muggy for both.  In the 5K I ran 16 seconds off of my PR.  Effort was there I just couldn't go any faster in the heat.  I came in just under 35 minutes in the 5 miler.  This is well off of my PR but this course was hilly.  I could definitely feel those hills when I went out for my 3 hour run Sunday.  Plan was to go out 90 minutes and turn around.  I came in in 86 minutes and finished with 19.5 miles.  That will have to do as my longest run this cycle.

I'm going with a two week taper so there is still a little work to do this week.  I'd like to get another quality LR in and am thinking 15 - 16 with at least 6 at MP.

I think I'll be ready.  My mileage this cycle wasn't spectacular but I was consistant.  Counting this week I'll have 14 straight weeks over 50 miles, and even though I did not get a 20 miler in the last 6 weeks have been over 17.  We shall see soon if it was enough.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

No magic inĀ 20. I recall Jeff and Mikey mentioning quality over quantity. I was also re-reading some books (either Hudson or Daniels - can't recall right now) that mentioned training to the time you want for the LR using increaing MP miles and not fixating on distance. So in this case that would be 3 to 3:20. The 50+ base coupled with races seems logical. At least I hope so because that's what I'm doing and I don't think I will run more than 20 before my Nov shot.

Schneidr and scovill had some great taper ideas which I plan to incorporate. More of that quality theory.

Of course if this doesn't work for you to BQ, I might mave enough time to be able to adjust my training for my race.

Prince of Fatness

Time to close out this thread.  Report is here.

Not at it at all. 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Great report. So close, but the fact that you ran the race simply blew my mind. Congratulations.

Chris
                    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k