RA Coaching Forum

Wingz wants to run a HM without getting hurt... (Read 503 times)

Wingz, how many times do you run per week? It doesn't look like more than 3 most weeks from your log, but there's so much x-training in there it's hard to tell quickly. I find more short, easy runs help me keep away from the injuries. Even just a mile or two (can make it more later if you want) 2-3 times more a week I think would help you.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Craig. Thanks for asking. You're right - the past few months I've only been running around three times per week. Several things influenced that, stress being the top of the list. I've started summer break from school, though, and after this weekend another stress (prepping fo rmy black-belt test) will also be lifted. So this is indeed a good time for me to increase the freequency of running. I think part of why I've not run as often is also that I really enjoy running. I don't want to just go out for one or two miles. I want to go out and go and go and go and go. Only my body can't handle it and breaks down. So I guess I'm a victim of my own impatience also. Blush I'll have to think on that and get back to you!

Roads were made for journeys...

Future running partner.

I think if you want to complete an HM without killing yourself, you can do it on 3 or 4 days a week of running. It's really I matter of working your way up to being able to cover the distance. Work up to running at least 10 miles on the weekend then 2 shorter runs during the week. If you are doing lots of cross training you can definately do it on 3 days week if you need to. If you want to run on the other days thats fine too. Just keep those workouts short and easy (30 to 40 min).
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Tom. Thanks for the feedback. I think in general you're right. Most people can run 3-4 days per week and crosstrain successfully. Unfortunately, running three days a week isn't currently working for me because I'm breaking down on the longer runs and they have to be longer in order to have any semblance of mileage in a week. (Read: I'd like to be in the double-digits, lol!) I think for me for starting up I'd do better with multiple short-short runs, so that's what I'm going to try now. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've taken these last few days off from running, and have not been having any pain in my knee, so I think I'm ready to start back up next week. I've been stretching and have tried some leg lifts. I was surprised how weak my muscles were in that area. It feels to me that I've got a pretty big imbalance going on that I need to tend to. ... *sigh* So much for the easy road, eh? Tongue

Roads were made for journeys...