RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's "time to learn how to race " journal (Read 664 times)

Well it's been awhile since I've updated this. I am now a little more than 7 weeks away from my goal marathon. I'm on my second official 80 plus week and should have my second 300 plus mile month. I got my first 20 miler in today (ran part of it with a friend and my dh) . Not sure if I'll get a very long run in next week since I'll be pacing a girlfriend of mine in a pretty tough 10 miler on the 4th. I'm hoping to peak close to 90 miles 3 weeks before the marathon, though I'll be happy if I'm in the 80's. I've dropped doing intervals and have been doing some moderate 9 milers as well as some marathon pace and faster miles in most of my long runs. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to work next 3 or 4 weeks. If I'll do two moderate runs or keep the moderate paced work for my long run of the week. Guess I'll figure that out when I get to each week. I'm feeling WAY better (*knock on wood*) then I expected to be at this point though I'm sure that will be changing in the next few weeks. I really can't wait to get racing!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

The timing of Lehigh Half is PERFECT. I plan to race that all out.
      5 weeks to go. Just curious, what time are you shooting for in this race? Oh, and looking forward to finally meeting you next weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Future running partner.

I see you've increased your mileage the last couple of months. That's great. I see some big PR's coming soon for you!
          5 weeks to go. Just curious, what time are you shooting for in this race? Oh, and looking forward to finally meeting you next weekend.
          I'm shooting to get as close to 1:45 as I can. I know my fitness is well above what it was in 2006 when I acheived my current HM PR and I left EVERYTHING on that course. I'd love to repeat that however I doubt I'll be able to since I won't have my bunny to hang onto like I did during that race. It was great meeting you at Fools run, looking forward to Little lehigh Smile

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I see you've increased your mileage the last couple of months. That's great. I see some big PR's coming soon for you!
            Thanks, and I'm hoping to see some big PR's!

Well I did my last "hard" long run for THIS marathon. I had planned on 5 easy, 5 moderate, 5 marathon pace and faster and 5 easy to finish the run. I ended up with 12 miles at faster than marathon pace. I did slow down for the last few miles but not like I had planned. I didn't bring any water for the run so I stopped once for water and 2 power bar gel blasts (not even half a serving) by 13-14 miles the thirst set in and all I could think of the last 4 or 5 miles all I could think of was water hence the faster miles at the end instead of the 9 minute plus that I had planned. Average pace for the 19 miles was 8:48 which is a second off of Marathon pace. Other than feeling thirsty I felt great throughout the whole run and if I had water I would have ran at least 3 or 4 more miles. 2.5 more weeks and it's Half marathon time! CAN"T wait! Next big workout will be on Friday. I've got a 14 mile run planned down in Kutztown. A nice hilly course. Hopefully the headwind won't be there like the last time I ran it.

Prince of Fatness

I'm shooting to get as close to 1:45 as I can.
                I think you have a good shot at it based on that 19 miler you just ran. Nice run. It might not be a bad idea in the next few weeks to go out and run a few miles a 8 minute pace just to get the feel of it.

Not at it at all. 

I think you have a good shot at it based on that 19 miler you just ran. Nice run. It might not be a bad idea in the next few weeks to go out and run a few miles a 8 minute pace just to get the feel of it.
                  Thanks! Thursday this week and one day next week I'll be will be a double day. Maybe I'll keep the shorter run more of a tempo run. Thanks for the advice Tim!

Well I did it! I BQ"D at Run for the Red. Not only did I BQ but I did something I didn't think I could do. I ALMOST ran perfectly even splits for both halves. First half was 1:53:22 and last half was 1:53:55. Now this race is ALOT like Steamtown however the hills are steeper and longer and like Steamtown, come mile 22 the hills start again. Unlike Steamtown last year I didn't do the pace buddy on my Garmin, in fact I barely paid attention to it once I got it started right. I wore it cause I wanted a record of my splits. Unfortunately I didn't start the race with satalite so I have missing milage and missing time from when I turned if off then turned it back on etc. Due to that I didn't bother paying much attention to it cause I knew the data would be off. SOooooooooo I went by feel. Made sure I held back on the down hills to make sure I had plenty of energy for the whole race and also so I didn't kill my quads. Anyway I think that has got to be the smartest run I've ever ran!

MTA: I passed 71 people during the second half and was passed by ONLY 1 !

Prince of Fatness

I passed 71 people during the second half and was passed by ONLY 1 !

Isn't passing people fun?  From the pictures in your report you looked in control the whole way.

Anyway, I have two questions ....

Now that the BQ pressure is off what will be your focus the rest of the year?

Are you running the 5K next Wednesday?  I am planning on being there.

Not at it at all. 

Isn't passing people fun?  From the pictures in your report you looked in control the whole way.

Anyway, I have two questions ....

Now that the BQ pressure is off what will be your focus the rest of the year?

Are you running the 5K next Wednesday?  I am planning on being there.

Yes passing people is GREAT. I felt in control the whole way which is NOT how I expected to BQ.

Well I'm signed up for a 100 miler after Saturdays 100k HOWEVER I'm leaning on maybe not doing that and focusing on Steamtown in November. I plan on running all the 5k's in the Lehigh series. Whether I do or not will depend on how i'm feeling after this weekend. This summer will be sprinkled with as many 5k's as I can get in and maybe a couple of half marathons as well.

Prince of Fatness

This summer will be sprinkled with as many 5k's as I can get in and maybe a couple of half marathons as well.

This is a problem for me with running a marathon in September.  I cannot find a half other than a trail race in the weeks leading up to the race.  Not even a 10K.  It's hard to find races over 5K in the summer.  Oh well, 5K's are better than nothing.

Good luck with the 100K!

Not at it at all. 

This is a problem for me with running a marathon in September.  I cannot find a half other than a trail race in the weeks leading up to the race.  Not even a 10K.  It's hard to find races over 5K in the summer.  Oh well, 5K's are better than nothing.

Good luck with the 100K!

I here ya there. I ended up doing the CHarlie horse half marathon and the double trouble 30k before Lehigh marathon in 2007. Not exactly a smart move considering I twisted my ankle pretty bad at the end of the 30k.

Thanks!