RA Coaching Forum

Scout's Training Journal (Read 697 times)

Scout7

Alright, since I am the nominal head of this group, I suppose I should write about my training. Plus, I guess it'll be a good excuse for attempting to stay honest with what's going on. To start: My personal running philosophy. Running should be simple. No need to make things all scientific and complex. There are always areas that need improvement, we'll get to those at some point. All the various training methodologies and plans highlight common themes: Run easy on some days, hard on others, pay attention to your body. It's running, man has been doing it since he got on dry land. So anyway, moving on.... This is where I currently stand: Last year was good and bad. Set new PR's in several distances. I managed to get down to sub 7 average for 10 miles. Set a new marathon PR, and missed Boston by 45 seconds. Right now....running has slipped down the ladder some. I haven't been as focused on things as I would like, and I've lost some motivation. Right now, my primary focus is on just getting the consistency back up. Running easy almost every run. Shorter runs. Once I can get that back, I can start more involved training. I'm also not currently following any specific plan, and have no set races as of this moment. I'd like to do Baltimore again, and probably Lehigh. Other than that, I'm not really thinking about races just yet. So, that's it, that's where I stand as of 02 January 2008. Let's see where this thing takes us.
      Tim- Looking forward to reading your journal and following your training.
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      btb1490

Yay! I expect some good reading and running ahead! Good luck!
          Yay! I expect some good reading and running ahead! Good luck!
          Ditto to this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

its about time Smile
              its about time Smile
              Yeah. What he said.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

And you wondered why it took so long.....
                Scout7

01/03/08 Nice, short, easy run. At this point, I'm just trying to get consistent again. Since I was struggling mentally for a while there, I figure that a week or two to ease into things is probably wise. One thing about running at work, I can usually find someone to run with, which tends to slow me down properly. Otherwise I think I just go out too hard. So, running with a coworker is probably for the best right now. We'll see how things are after next week.
                  Scout7

01/04/08 Another easy run. Cold and windy, though..... And next week it's supposed to get up near 60. WTF is that all about?!?! Anway, running-related.... I think things are starting to come back. Yeah, I've lost some fitness, but that's to be expected. My mojo is starting to return, though. I think after next week, I'll look at a little more formality.
                      Glad to hear the mojo is coming back, Scout!
                      I think after next week, I'll look at a little more formality.
                      Does this mean you will run in a tux?

Scout7

I have one, so it's possible.
                          I have one, so it's possible.
                          Sweet. I only have suits. I realize the effect would be lessened, but do you think I will achieve similar training benefits?

Scout7

Sweet. I only have suits. I realize the effect would be lessened, but do you think I will achieve similar training benefits?
                            Hmmm....well, I think the quality may be somewhat degraded, obviously, but overall, I think you'll still do alright.
                            btb1490

It didn't take long for this blog to wander off into tangents... Smile I do the "run with coworkers" thing too. They make good recovery runs as you said. Keep just getting out the door, Scout!
                              Scout7

It didn't take long for this blog to wander off into tangents... Smile I do the "run with coworkers" thing too. They make good recovery runs as you said. Keep just getting out the door, Scout!
                                Working on it. Yeah, tangents.... Sorta like chords.