RA Coaching Forum

Gig's Training Journal (Read 267 times)

Gig

I picked a funny time to start my journal, since I haven't run since Wednesday, and I don't plan to until this Wednesday. Yesterday, I said to my wife that I picked a good day to be injured as we watched a few runners go by in the near-freezing rain. I thought about it for about two seconds, and decided that no, I'd rather be running in that than not running. They looked pretty comfortable. On November 22, I ran the innaugural Rehoboth Beach marathon. At about 10K, I felt a pain in my calf. I ran through it for two miles, tried to very gently stretch it out (which didn't work), HTFU (with help from my emergency stash of ibuprofen), and finished the race--kicking ass, thank you. 3:46:34. The calf continued to hurt, but it felt good enough to do a few miles on Monday. I set out to do three, but did 4.5 instead. Then on Wednesday, I set out to do three or four, but ended up doing 7.25, and a bit hard at the end. What can I say? It felt good. But it didn't that evening, and it still doesn't feel great. I've been doing some RICE therapy, and even though I think I'm ready to do some easy miles, I'm going to wait until Wednesday. Here's the plan.
    Wednesday, 12/3 -- 8 miles, EASY! Then RICE for 20 minutes, then a 60-minute karate class. Thursday, 12/4 -- 4 miles, still easy. Then RICE for 20 minutes, then a 60-minute karate class. Friday, 12/5 -- Just a casual run/walk if I have somebody to do it with. Saturday, 12/6 -- 4 miles at 9:00 pace to see how it feels. No karate class, but I may compete in a tournament. I'll see how I feel on Thursday (deadline to register). Sunday, 12/7 -- If everything is okay, 12 miles at 8:50 pace (normal workout pace for me). If it's not okay, rest.
    In addition to running, I bicycle to work most days. I don't count this as exercise because I ride very slowly and casually. I mean, I certainly consider it exercise, but not something I choose to log. I'm also planning to do thhe 100 pushup challenge soon. I may even start today. I want to build a small base for doing some upperbody work in 2009. Oh, and karate. Thanks for letting me share. Gig
    Gig

So I had 28 miles planned for last week, but it turned out to be more like 18. That's okay, though. It allowed me to recover that much more. Now I'm ready to start building up. This weeks plan:
      Monday, 12/8 -- 7 miles easy, plus pushups (at least 80) Tuesday, 12/9 -- rest, but maybe do some crunches Wednesday, 12/10 -- 10 miles easy, then a 60-minute karate class, plus pushups (at least 100) Thursday, 12/11 -- 4 miles progressive, then a 60-minute karate class MTA: No karate tonight. It's a Midnight Madness shopping adventure in Annapolis, instead. Friday, 12/12 -- pushups (at least 120) Saturday, 12/13 -- 5 miles easy, but finish fast Sunday, 12/14 -- 15K RACE
      The pushups are part of the 100 pushups challenge. I started last week, but decided that it'll be better to start over again today.
      Gig

36 miles last week, plus I completed Week 3 of the 100 pushups challenge. This week, I'm shooting for at least 40 miles, plus completing Week 4 of the PUC.
        Monday, 12/15 -- 7 miles easy. Tuesday, 12/16 -- no running. Pushups (at least 120). Wednesday, 12/17 -- 10 miles easy, with some tempo worked in. 60-minute karate class. Thursday, 12/18 -- 5 miles tempo. 60-minute karate class. Pushups (at least 140). Friday, 12/19 -- 4 miles tempo. Saturday, 12/20 -- 8 miles easy. 60-minute karate class. Pushups (at least 40). Sunday, 12-21 -- 12 miles easy. Pushups (exhaustion test--as many as I can in one set). That's 46 miles. The Saturday run may get cut short, or the Friday run eliminated all together. The Wednesday run hinges on how much homework DD has, so that could get truncated as well. Still, I should be over 40 by the end of the week.