RA Coaching Forum

MRPH's Fall Marathon Training Journal (Read 543 times)

Prince of Fatness

Hi all. I am planning on running my 2nd marathon this coming September and figured I would open this thread to track my training and also hopefully get some feedback along the way. A little background. 45 year old male. I've run pretty much throughout my adult years, but did not get serious about longer distances until I was about 40. Ran my first half at 41 (~1:49) and my only marathon at 44 (~3:58). Have since got my half PR down to just under 1:40. Anyway, all of this was on less weekly mileage than I plan on doing for this marathon. I am hoping to BQ (3:30). As for training, I was sidetracked by shin splints late last year but have been able to slowly work my way up to the upper 40's for weekly mileage. There is still some lingering soreness in the shins, but running doesn't seem to make it worse. I just which I could get rid of it because otherwise I feel like I am pretty good shape. Plan? I would like to hang out at ~50 mpw through mid June. I have a 10 mile race next Saturday then a half May 3. I haven't raced since last August so these races will help me see where I am fitness wise. For the meat of the marathon training I am not following any plan. I am just going to look at two key workouts per week. One will be a mid week run with about an hour at tempo (a little above HM pace). The other is the long run with MP miles thrown in. How many will depend on how I feel. I am really not looking to hit that magical 20 miles, but would prefer to consistently hit 2 and a half hours. Thoughts on that? Everything else will be easy running. I figure on average I'll be running 55 mpw. I also plan on running a few 5K's over the summer. So there you go. I'll be updating the thread every so often, probably more as the race nears. If anyone has any feedback, please, just chime right in. I'll be sure to reciprocate to others!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

The 10 mile race this past weekend went really well. It was a challenging course with a few hills and it was really windy. I ran a 1:14:30, finishing with a 6:55 last mile. This was after running two back to back 50 mile weeks for the first time ever. I'm a little stiff now, but it's mostly just tired legs and not soreness. I've been icing my shins after each run for about a week or so, and it appears to be helping. There's still some minor pain, but it is much better than a week ago. I'll continue to ice at least through the end of the month. Next up is the Lehigh Valley Half Marathon on May 3.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Ran the half marathon Sunday and got a 2 minute PR. 1:37:49. I'm pretty pleased with where I am at. Now I need to just get my base up a little higher and stay consistent. I think I have a pretty good chance at a BQ in September. I have a few short races the next few weeks. 5/13 - LVRR Summer Series 5K #1 5/23 - Spring Lake 5 Mile Run 6/03 - LVRR Summer Series 5K #2 After that I will focus more on getting my mileage up there so July I can start with marathon specific stuff.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Are you using the races as your speedwork? I noticed some tempos in there for you. Speaking with the lead of our local runners club racing team (he just ran a 1:09 at the Indy Mini so he must know what he's doing). He mentioned to add HM or MP pace to the long runs and progressively get these longer. He also mentioned doing fast finishes on all runs just to get used to finishing fast. So as an example if you have a 6 mile easy run use the first five at the easy pace and then pick up the last mile by a minute or so. No need to kill it, just get used to finishing faster. Sounded like a good idea which I thought to pass along. You planning on BQ this fall?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

I won't do much if any speedwork other than the races in May. They're all 10 days apart and I just raced a half this past Sunday, so that's 4 races in 40 days. Hopefully these shorter races won't beat me up so much. If I feel up to it I'll throw in some tempo miles. I asked about adding quality work into the long run in the swamp and got a pretty good response from mikey. Much in line by what you were saying. Yeah, I want to BQ. There is a local marathon on 9/13. I do my long runs on the course so I have home field advantage. I need 3:30. I have all summer to make an 8 minute mile pace feel ridiculously easy. I think I have a decent shot at it. Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

No advice-- I just look forward to reading this journal as you prep to BQ. Saw your post in the swamp (I lurk there) and thought your plan looked great!

Chris
              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

C-R

I bet those tempo paces will start to come down with races as speedwork. I saw that in the Swamp too and think it very applicable. Hope those shins stay quiet for you this summer/fall so you can get to Boston. Nice avatar pic - makes me laugh every time.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Thanks folks. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me but I am really looking forward to the journey.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

One more 5K left June 3.  The 5K on May 13 was a slight PR (21:04).  The 5 miler was a bit of a FAIL.  I had a busy weekend and just wasn't prepared to race, went out too fast and faded.  Despite that I still ran my second best time on that race, an I've raced that one over 10 years.  I'm not going to worry about it.

After the 5K there are a few things I want to get done by the end of June:

• Get my weekly mileage up into the mid 50's.  This shouldn't be too difficult.
                    • Get my midweek tempo run up to an hour.  I had been running the tempos at HM pace.  I am going to ease closer to marathon pace.  I experimented this evening and ran 40 minutes at about MP - 20 (about 10 seconds per mile slower than I had been doing them).  It went pretty well.  I may slow it a little bit but I don't see a problem with going an hour at that pace.
                    • Add some structure to my long runs.  I need to start throwing marathon pace miles in there.
                    If I can get these things done I think I will be ready for a solid two months of training in July and August.  If things go as planned I will have 6 200+ mile months leading up to the September marathon.

The calculators have me around 3:25 which I think is pretty aggressive.  I really think I will have to work for the 3:30 but it's doable.  For training purposes I am going to start with 8:00 as MP.  I can always adjust.

Not at it at all. 

have you thought about getting a mid-long run (12-14) in each week as well as your long run?? Between that, the hills and the faster paced long runs I did I don't think I could have BQ'D as "easily" as I did. Anyway your planning looks solid! See you on Wed!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

have you thought about getting a mid-long run (12-14) in each week as well as your long run??

I've been running 2 or so miles before and after the tempo, so that should get me around 12 by the time I get the tempo up to an hour.  When I did the 40 minutes yesterday the total mileage was a little under 10.  But yes, the plan is to get 12 or so miles in midweek.  That and the long run will be my two key workouts.  Everything else will be easy.

Thanks.   I'll look for you Wednesday.

Not at it at all. 

I've been running 2 or so miles before and after the tempo, so that should get me around 12 by the time I get the tempo up to an hour.  When I did the 40 minutes yesterday the total mileage was a little under 10.  But yes, the plan is to get 12 or so miles in midweek.  That and the long run will be my two key workouts.  Everything else will be easy.

PERFECT!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

After the 5K there are a few things I want to get done by the end of June:

• Get my weekly mileage up into the mid 50's.  This shouldn't be too difficult.
                            • Get my midweek tempo run up to an hour.  I had been running the tempos at HM pace.  I am going to ease closer to marathon pace.  I experimented this evening and ran 40 minutes at about MP - 20 (about 10 seconds per mile slower than I had been doing them).  It went pretty well.  I may slow it a little bit but I don't see a problem with going an hour at that pace.
                            • Add some structure to my long runs.  I need to start throwing marathon pace miles in there.

Just reviewing my post here to see how I made out in June.

• I ended the month with a 56 mile week.  I'm feeling good and should not have a problem sustaining mid 50's.
                            • Last tempo was an hour at 7:50 (MP - 10 seconds).  Counting warm up and cool down the workout was over 12 miles.  I'll be doing more of these for sure.
                            • The last 3 long runs I did I added 4 miles at MP during the second half of the run.  These went well.

Last night I ran the third race of a 5K summer series.  It ended up being a 15 second PR (20:31) and 33 seconds faster than the first race in the series.  I am definitely making good progress.  Most calculators have me close to 3:20 for a marathon, but as I have said before I think they are a bit too optimistic.  When I use this calculator it comes in just under 3:29.  I really think that my original 3:30 goal is what I need to shoot for, and I think I have a good shot at it.

So for July I just want to keep this going, building on the work I completed in June.  I'll go a little further on my long runs and add more MP miles to them.  Basically more of the same.

Not at it at all. 

No reason to change anything. Training looks very solid and seems to be working.

Have you had much experience with the type of surface you'll be running on at Lehigh Hosp? I see that a lot of it is not paved. On a fast course I'm sure that low 3:20's would be a very reasonable goal and sub 3:20 would not be a pipe dream.

Congrats on the big 5k PR and good luck in your marathon.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Prince of Fatness

No reason to change anything. Training looks very solid and seems to be working.

Have you had much experience with the type of surface you'll be running on at Lehigh Hosp? I see that a lot of it is not paved. On a fast course I'm sure that low 3:20's would be a very reasonable goal and sub 3:20 would not be a pipe dream.

Congrats on the big 5k PR and good luck in your marathon.

Jim, I run the canal towpaths that the race follows Saturday (long run day) and Sunday.   I am very familiar with almost all of this course, especially the second half.  Plus I live about a 10 minute drive from the finish, so there's that too.

Under other circumstances I might be a bit more aggressive with my goal time, but this is only my second marathon, so I don't have much experience with the distance.  I really want to BQ (3:30) and don't want to get greedy and jeopordize that.  Once I get the BQ out of the way I can try to get closer to 3:20.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not at it at all.