RA Coaching Forum

Afty's training journal (sub 20 5k) (Read 470 times)

I'm trying to put together a training plan for the summer, and I was hoping for some feedback. I just came off a spring marathon, my first, where I had a much harder time than expected (4:05, but I spent much of the 2nd half walking because of leg cramps). I am hoping to leverage my marathon fitness for some fast 5k times this summer, hopefully cracking 20:00. Last year I was able to run 20:59 on ~25 mpw, so I think this is a reasonable goal. I also want to set myself up to train for a fall marathon. My idea is to shoot for 30-40 mpw through the summer, with one interval session and one tempo/hill/fartlek-type workout each week. I've had good luck staying healthy for the past couple of years, and I've been consistent with my mileage, so I think my body can handle a higher workload this summer. I'm basing my training ideas on Pfitzinger's Road Racing for the Serious Runner and Bob Glover's The Competitive Runner's Handbook. The primary focus will be on 400m-1600m intervals to increase VO2 max, and the secondary focus will be on lactate threshold workouts, typically 3-5 mile tempos. I'm still recovering from the marathon, so this week I plan to log 25 easy miles. Next week I will shoot for 36 easy miles. Then if I feel that I am fully recovered, I will start adding faster workouts. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

I have, and I've posted in it a couple times. But it's so long that it's tough to read the whole thing and get training ideas out of it. Though looking at other people's training logs from that thread is helpful.
          My recommendation would be that you try to average 40 mpw rather than 30. There is a substantial difference, much more so than say between 60 and 70. . An idea for a workout that combines both worlds, threshold and vo2 max: Warm up 2 miles, do 3 miles at tempo, then 6 x 40 sec hill at 5k race effort. Add 1 rep each session until reaching 10 hill reps. Cool down 15-20 minutes, including a few light strides. I got this workout from reputable source and it made a real difference for me after about 4-5 weeks (1 per week). Overall your plan sounds very good. Agree with reduced miles and easy pace for a few weeks following your marathon. Again I encourage you to go for the 40 mpw rather than 30 once you are recovered.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Thanks for the recommendations, Jim. I think you're right that I should shoot for 40 mpw rather than 30. That alone would probably make a big difference. This week I ran 25 miles. I ran a bit harder than planned because I did a couple runs with friends, and we tend to push harder when we do that. Next week I'm still aiming for 36 mostly easy miles, but maybe with a short tempo on Thursday. My legs feel good. I think I'm mostly recovered from the marathon.
              Weekly update: This week I ran 36 miles. Did a 2.6 mile tempo run on Thursday at my running club's weekly race series. I had intended to shoot for 7:20/mi, but my competitiveness got the best of me and I sped up in the last mile. Finished in 18:07 for an average of 6:58/mi. Felt good all week, no aches or pains. Next week I'm aiming for 40 miles with a short interval session of 6x600m.
                Last week I ran 40.4 miles with a 6x600m interval workout and two longish runs of 12 and 10 miles. The intervals were fairly difficult. I finished all the reps between 2:23 and 2:29 with 1:00-1:30 jogging recoveries; I probably could have used a little more recovery time between reps. This week I have a 4-mile race on Thursday. I'd like to run it under 28:00 (7:00/mi), but it's going to be very hot that day so I might be a little more conservative with my pace goal. Regardless of my final time, I'd like to run negative splits because positive splits are just horribly painful.
                  Last week I ran 40 miles including a 4 mile race.  The race went surprisingly well.  It was hot that day, 84 degrees, but I went for it and tried to go out very easy in case I could not hold my goal pace.  I negative splitted the whole race, with each mile faster than the previous, and finished in 27:40.  And I felt strong at the end. 

This week I'll do 40 miles again, with a 6x800 track workout and maybe a 3 mile tempo with my running club.  If I do the tempo, I'll try to keep it at tempo pace rather than racing it like I did a couple weeks ago.

You're on the right track, Afty. Have patience and you shall be rewarded.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Thanks Jim.  I am excited about my training this summer.  I think if I can keep to a consistent 40 mpw like you suggested, good things will happen.
                        Weekly update:

I think I have a touch of piriformis syndrome in my right hip, but with stretching and ibuprofen I avoided missing any runs this week.  I ran 40 miles, as usual.  I did an interval workout of 6x800m with 400m jogging recoveries, and I finished all reps between 3:11 and 3:18, which was right where I wanted to be.  My total mileage for the month was 171.4, my 3rd highest mileage month ever.  I'm sticking to the RA mantra: Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Next week I have a 4x1200m interval workout planned as well as a 3 or 4 mile tempo run.  I am thinking about running a 5k race either next weekend or the weekend after.  I'll see how I feel later this week.

Future running partner.

I think I have a touch of piriformis syndrome in my right hip, but with stretching and ibuprofen I avoided missing any runs this week.

Be careful not to rely to much on that Ibuprofen. You don't want to mask a developing injury with that sfuff, otherwise you could end up being much worse off.
                            WannaBeFast, no worries about the ibuprofen, I am very reluctant about using the stuff.  I used it for the two days I took off to recover from my hip pain but haven't taken any since.  The hip has felt pretty good this week, and I haven't felt the need to take any more time off for it.

I've been mostly posting the sub-20 5k goal thread, but here's a quick update. The past two weeks I was in Dublin.  I found it very difficult to find time to run there, and was only able to get in 16 miles the whole time I was there. 

Today I ran a 5k race.  I felt very nervous about it because of my poor training while out of town, and I really didn't think I was going to do well.  I set my goal at sub-21, hoping to run right around my previous PR of 20:59.  But the race went surprisingly well.  My mile splits were 6:45, 6:38, and 7:00 (1.1 miles) for a final time of 20:25.  The course was certified so I know I really did run that fast!

I'm very happy with my progress, and I feel the sub-20 is within reach.  I will probably shoot for another 5k around the end of July and see what I can do then.

It's been a while, so I thought I'd give a report.  I've been reasonably consistent since I got back from Dublin.  I ran 168 miles in July and should hit around the same in August. 

I've been increasing the paces on my interval workouts, and now I'm at the point where I don't think I could run them any faster.  It's either the pace or the hotter weather, but my interval workouts are now very difficult.  I suppose that's how it's supposed to be. 

I ran a 5k on 7/23 and aimed for sub 20.  I hit my first two miles in 6:27 each, so I was right on pace, but I couldn't hold it through the third mile.  I totally blew up and gave in, and finished in 20:52.  I was pretty disappointed with myself, but it has definitely given me motivation to work hard through the upcoming month.  I will probably try again on 8/22, on a 5k course I know very well.

I also signed up for a half marathon on 10/18.  I am in pretty decent half marathon shape as is, and I will continue to focus on the 5k distance until I get my sub 20.  Once I get the sub 20, I will bump up the mileage a bit (probably by adding to my long runs) and switch my weekly quality workout from intervals to longish tempo runs at HM pace.  I'd like to be running 6-7 mile tempos at HM pace and 14-15 mile long runs by the time of the race.