RA Running Game 2021

Game Engagement: Please read and reply!! (Read 84 times)

Cyberic

I tend to look at it in terms of what is the weekly mileage that I can make myself do most weeks.

My 2 cents on the sandbaggging is that until the last 2-3 months of the year, it's potentially going to happen. That said, if your yearly goal is set to where you reach it with 2 months to go in the game, you potentially hurt your team in the playoffs since your team cannot get 100% reaching their weekly goal. This could have made the difference in the most recent round of playoffs for my team if we had to go into the third week.

Hmmm, so if I *think* I'll run 3000 miles, and I lower that by 15% as an insurance policy (450 miles less) and I have a good year in which I do run 3000 miles, then I penalize my team as I can't get the "green" points for the last month and a half or so.

But if I pledge for 3000, I might not hit my goal week after week...

I don't know which one is better/worse?

Maybe 5% is better? Hmmm

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I think that's where the June goal change becomes useful.  Start with that 2550 and then change to 3000 for the last half of the year when your goal becomes a little more clear and you'll be able to stay green longer into the year.

Hmmm, so if I *think* I'll run 3000 miles, and I lower that by 15% as an insurance policy (450 miles less) and I have a good year in which I do run 3000 miles, then I penalize my team as I can't get the "green" points for the last month and a half or so.

Maybe 5% is better? Hmmm

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

LOL, Zoomie, I increased my goal in June and then come August I went on IR for months! So, very annoying. I do hit green most weeks but my yearly goal looks laughable and my pace bunny died a few months ago. I'm thinking this year, pick a lower goal for winter when it's slippery out then increase it in June when I'm hopefully knock on wood running more miles!

That's totally understandable, though. It's the ones who set a pie-in-the-sky goal and rarely/never ever hit their "green" mileage sans-injury who are frustrating to the rest of their team.

This year I did exactly what you're planning -- I started low and left myself the option to increase my miles, assuming races were still happening and I didn't have any injury/illness issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sdWhiskers

Maybe 5% is better? Hmmm

This is the issue many of us have 

In 2020, my team lost in the finals because too many of us couldn't hit green anymore. But we all were running great mileage (and very few stints on IR) so can't be too upset.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Maybe 5% is better? Hmmm

I know you've been a bit beat up recently, but looking at your log, it seems rare that you don't hit the 57 miles/week (or should i say 92 km) that is needed to hit 3000.

Docket_Rocket

In 2020, my team lost in the finals because too many of us couldn't hit green anymore. But we all were running great mileage (and very few stints on IR) so can't be too upset.

I was on your team that year right? I think even with the increase mid year, many of us were still not able to hit green anymore by then.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

When every team makes the playoffs, it's actually better to under-perform during the year so that you can be green longer into the playoffs because doing poorly (in terms of going green) during the year has no repercussion except for facing the team that's done the best in round 1. That's if you want to game the game.

It comes down to what your goal is.  Win the game?  Use the game as motivation to run?  Engage online with your teammates?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Cyberic

I know you've been a bit beat up recently, but looking at your log, it seems rare that you don't hit the 57 miles/week (or should i say 92 km) that is needed to hit 3000.

Yeah I said 3000 as an example, but that is not what I had in mind.

Yeah I said 3000 as an example, but that is not what I had in mind.

For you, THAT would be a sandbag!

Dave

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Gentle reminder  (for me too)

RA has an ad free option for $10 a year. I'm sure Eric could use a small holiday gift to let him know he's appreciated.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

When every team makes the playoffs, it's actually better to under-perform during the year so that you can be green longer into the playoffs because doing poorly (in terms of going green) during the year has no repercussion except for facing the team that's done the best in round 1. That's if you want to game the game.

And this year every team made the playoffs bc we had a small number sign up. We need more runners if we want a game where some teams don't get into the playoffs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

And this year every team made the playoffs bc we had a small number sign up. We need more runners if we want a game where some teams don't get into the playoffs.

+1! ☝