RA Running Game 2022

About Game Admin. Please Read. (Read 53 times)

John Wood

Just wanted to add my thanks for the phenomenal job Meg and Stealth have done as admins over the years. Never had anything but kind quick responses from both.

der_lizzard

Meg and Stealth, thank you for all your work. Meg I can't believe you're doing this alone; I hope you get help soon! You are doing a great job and anybody who has the nerve to gripe about a VOLUNTEER doing tons of free work deserves, at least, shinsplints, plus maybe plantar fasciitis.

Also, everybody pls pay for the premium subscription; a measly $10 annually is hardly a stretch, not even a single month of Amazon Prime.

All About that Pace 2024

+1 and you can add a small "donation" over the subscription like many of us do.

Meg and Stealth, thank you for all your work. Meg I can't believe you're doing this alone; I hope you get help soon! You are doing a great job and anybody who has the nerve to gripe about a VOLUNTEER doing tons of free work deserves, at least, shinsplints, plus maybe plantar fasciitis.

Also, everybody pls pay for the premium subscription; a measly $10 annually is hardly a stretch, not even a single month of Amazon Prime.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

As it is now, there are runners who have reached (or are just about to reach) half of their yearly goal (over two months early). Sandbagging or having a great year? Penalize or reward? If it was the end of the year this would be penalized, but now it is rewarded. Which should it be?

You are assuming that there aren't discussions happening with runners who are high to goal. One year, we had a runner in the game who planned on taking two months off in the fall because they were going to be travelling. They took a Leave of Absence in the fall (same procedure as going on IR). Apologies but I can't recall when they hit their goal for the year but I think it was in December. In the spring, it looked like they could smash their goal. Sometimes it is runners who are coming off injuries and set a conservative goal as they heal up. I don't know if you've dealt with an injury before, but sometimes you can't predict how recovery will go and that can make goal setting difficult as well. In June, runners take stock of where they are year to goal. And there are runners every year I contact to make sure that change is being made, both up or down. There is more to the goals sometimes than you see.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

+1 and you can add a small "donation" over the subscription like many of us do.

+2, mine just came up a couple days ago, and I made it a true daily double.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Instead of a suggestion, can I ask a question? Why don't we force everyone who is playing this game to have a public log? It would add transparency to a lot of these situations perhaps, but given what the mods have said before, I am sure there is a reason for this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Instead of a suggestion, can I ask a question? Why don't we force everyone who is playing this game to have a public log? It would add transparency to a lot of these situations perhaps, but given what the mods have said before, I am sure there is a reason for this.

It's never been a requirement. Even runners with private logs show in results so you can look through weeks of what a runner has logged. Also, in the playoffs, some runners have been known to flip their logs to private so competitors can't log stalk and see what sort of mileage they are running prior to results.

Is there a reason you think it would add more transparency to the game to make all runners keep open logs?

Equally, if someone in the game with a private logs sees this, please chime in your thoughts as to why you maintain the privacy of your log.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Quickadder

But would this actually make a difference? Would it then become necessary for everyone to use Strava (or similar) that downloads data direct to this site? I currently manually input my runs here as I'm using the free version of mapmyrun that doesn't have a data transfer facility - how would you tell from my log whether I'd actually run the logged miles?

The game operates very much on an honor basis, from setting our target mileage to accurately logging what we do. Yes, there are rules that have developed over the years to keep the game running fairly smoothly, but really these are more like guidelines and depend upon the participants following them voluntarily rather than being enforced by admins or team captains.

As it is, the number of players participating in this annual game has decreased steadily and I personally don't think that forcing additional requirements on participants would attract more runners to take part.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

jbaco

Agreed and Thank You Meg!

FWIW, I think Meg has done a fantastic job in running the game and communicating results/issues/encouragement to teams and individuals. It can be a thankless job, but THANK YOU!!

But would this actually make a difference? Would it then become necessary for everyone to use Strava (or similar) that downloads data direct to this site? I currently manually input my runs here as I'm using the free version of mapmyrun that doesn't have a data transfer facility - how would you tell from my log whether I'd actually run the logged miles?

No. I don't think the question/comment was raised to ensure proof of the run, just to be able to see what people are actually doing on a daily basis.

I would prefer it all to be public and updated daily (including and especially in the playoffs) because I think that makes things more interesting and fun. It's a game but also a competition - part of any competition is seeing what your opponents are doing in real time. But I imagine to your other point, we'd more likely lose people who want to stay private for whatever reason, than gain people.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

+1 to all of this.

I have no complaints with how the game has been run.  Mistakes happen - we're all human - and it's just a game, so live with them.  I wonder whether all the instant replay in sports (which I think is ridiculous - it's a game, not national security) has gotten people to expect all mistakes to be reversed.

+1 more.

Meg and Stealth.rnr have both done (and in Meg's case, continue to do) a great job.  I'm sure it's a ton of work for just one volunteer.  We are all grateful for the effort.

Back in my field hockey days, I did quite a lot of umpiring as well (also an unpaid volunteer gig).  There are always some players who will complain about decisions, even when the umpire gets them totally correct.  I told one or two of them that if they had a problem with the standard of umpiring and thought they could do a better job, maybe they should give it a go some time.  None of them did.  Some people just like to complain.  However, I am heartened to see that in this case, some have stepped up to offer help.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

baxdaddy

just another runner

Just want to add my appreciation to the Mods for running this game!

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

As it is, the number of players participating in this annual game has decreased steadily and I personally don't think that forcing additional requirements on participants would attract more runners to take part.

To this point, here are the numbers from the last few years. At one point last December, we honestly wondered if we were going to have to flip everyone to individual and have no teams at all because we didn't think enough were going to sign up. The game is really at the bare minimum now; teams sizes really can't go much smaller and still be functional in a sport like ours where injuries happen.

2022 - 68 team runners/20 indiv runners = 88 runners

2021 - 70 team/39 indiv = 109 runners

2020 - 100 team/ 44 indiv = 144 runners

2019 - 133 team/ 48 indiv = 181 runners

2018 - 158 team/ 91 indiv = 249 runners

2017 - 179 team/ 71 indiv = 250 runners

2016 - 452 team/ 341 indiv = 793 runners

The number of logs that are actually private and that I can't look at is really pretty small. I don't know exact numbers, but just based on how often I run into that when I'm looking up runners, I don't think it's a big problem. Even if a log is private, their mileage still goes on the results and you all have access to that in the results tab up top (results > individual results).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Some further details on the admin side that Stealth wrote up....

The first of most years, there is a glitch that causes the first week or two results to not run or run early. All we can do is notify Eric.

After the next year's game is set up, no one can reenter the create/modify game console without it changing all dates and times of posting deadlines and results. If you go back and try to reenter it yourself, the errors can multiply. Eric must do fixes when that occurs.

Removing someone completely from the game can cause glitches. We move to individual only.

All Star Week -  we do pick #'s, unless the game does it without us. Deadline for picking runners needs to be at least a week early.

The reason we can't make changes to IR between start of the new week and results is the game may change the previous week or occasionally the new week. We have no control of it and it is an Eric fix.

The deadline for joining next year's game is set by early to mid November. We post dates and times all over the current forum as well as multiple times in the general running forum. If a runner misses signups for either team or individual, they cannot be added manually.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

More details on new admins hopefully coming next week!

Working on it over the long weekend! I didn't forget but wanted to give people lots of time to respond as some people don't check this forum on a regular basis. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.