Running-Wizard

5K Plan - Interval duration? (Read 25 times)

RunSaintRun

HI,

I'm about to do my first workout w/intervals for the 5K RW plan.  I'm not sure how I should structure the workout to complete the 5K scheduled that would be appropriate for training for a 5K race. Should I be doing 800's, 400's, or 200's for the target race distance?

Thanks!

Saint

JML

Check out the following thread:

Intervals

I had the same question which Nobby answered in his typically comprehensive way.

FWIW - During the interval phase of my RW plan, I ran 5x800, 10x400 and a ladder workout a few times (2x800, 4x400, 4x200).   I tend to prefer the ladder workouts as I like the variety in distances and speed.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

RunSaintRun

Thanks JML!

I just completed my Running Wizard 5K plan and I did 800's on my interval days, but i also missed my goal time by twenty seconds...so you should probably listen to JML  Smile

RunSaintRun:

Since JML linked to my previous reply, I'd have to be careful not to contradict (!!)...  But, basically, it really doesn't matter and this is where people really start to get different so we sort of intentionally kept vague.  With Lydiard training, we look at "interval" training as a tool to stimulate your anaerobic pathway--not necessarily a speed training though it does affect your speed as well.  The idea is to "make yourself tired with speed".  I used to do a workout like 8 X 540m--it just so happened that the stretch of a road that I used was about 540m.  I didn't even time myself because I knew after about 7 or 8 of them, I'll be tired and "hit the wall".

We at least went a few steps ahead from that--we specify what total distance we would expect (say, for 5k, I believe it's either "4k total" or "5k total").  This means; if you decide to pick 600m, you'd want to do something like about 7~8X (total fast distance to be 4200~4800m).  Now, you'll have a choice of the distance.  Some of you may like to run FAST and you may want to do some shorter distance like 300m or 400m instead of 1k or a mile; though we like to encourage you to mix up the distance; if you're doing intervals twice a week, do one of them with longer distance (say, 1k) and the other one shorter distance (say, 300m).  This is what I mean by "one to work on breathing (longer reps); one to work on leg-speed (shorter distance)".  Physiologically, both of them work just fine; but there's this plus-alpha that comes with it.  If you're training for a marathon, naturally, you'd probably do a bit longer reps--mile perhaps, or even a bit longer (like 2k?) and the total distance would be like 6 or 7k.

Bear in mind that, when you follow RW plan, your interval pace may look rather slow.  Trust me--fast interval pace would not necessarily produce fast race performance.  On the contrary, I've seen so many times that "slow" people thrush themselves with hard intervals, like 6:45 pace, and end up running 24-minute 5k or something.  Now they are doing interval training for the sake of doing interval training--they are not doing it to race well.

HI,

I'm about to do my first workout w/intervals for the 5K RW plan.  I'm not sure how I should structure the workout to complete the 5K scheduled that would be appropriate for training for a 5K race. Should I be doing 800's, 400's, or 200's for the target race distance?

Thanks!

Saint

RunSaintRun

Thanks for the reply Nobby.  For the first week of intervals I decided upon 800m for the first workout and 400m for the second workout. Both ending up being good workouts though I tend to run them a little faster than the recommended pace. It seems if I start off too fast I have a hard time backing the pace off for the remainder of the reps.

I've got to tell you I am loving this training plan!!!!  The training all seems to be coming together so far. My endurance is the best it's ever been I believe  and my legs feel strong once recovered from the workouts. I cannot wait for my target race, 4 weeks away!!