Running-Wizard

More Anaerobic, More Coordination, or Equal? (Read 26 times)

Today is my last hill day.

(To catch everyone up: I signed up for the 24-week plan, life got chaotic with moving across the country, after the move I signed up for a marathon 15-weeks away, decided to give an abbreviated plan a shot, so far so good. I've had 5-weeks of the high-mileage aerobic phase, 2-weeks of hills.)

It's 8-weeks before the race, and I'm ready to move on from the hills. More specifically, the bounding; hills are everywhere! Due to the hilly environs I'm used to, this phase was challenging but well within my realm of experience. On! On!

How would you guys recommend I space out the remaining phases? I'm pretty sure I want 2-weeks for the taper, so let's just leave that as is. That gives me 6-weeks for anaerobic and coordination. The most obvious choice is to allot 3-weeks each. However, I'm wondering...

If the anaerobic phase is what really "sharpens," perhaps I should give it 4-weeks, with 2-weeks of coordination?

Or is it the other way around? I could give the anaerobic phase 2-weeks, which will catch me up to the original plan?

Here's my tentative plan: if I'm running the intervals fast, I'll "catch up" and move on to coordination after 2-weeks. If the intervals are a struggle, I'll give myself as long as I need to match the suggested paces (if I can't, I'll move on to coordination after 4-weeks and adjust my time goal).

I feel a little weird sharing all of this, but you guys said you wanted updates. If reading about my training anxiety is tedious, you have no one to blame but yourselves! Smile

JML

For my money, I would go with 3 and 3.  There are specific adaptations in each phase that prepare you to run your best.  The anaerobic phase leg strength and increased turnover prepares you for the final sharpening in coordination.  There is also smooth escalation in intensity (for the PCRs etc) that is built into the plan that you might disrupt if you cut one phase short to focus on the other.  You are already on the short side time-wise in your overall plan and I wouldn't mess with the balance of the phases in the last weeks.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

elodie.kaye

I'm not in RW training, but started lurking this user group to learn more about it before buying a plan.  My comments are more general, and maybe of limited use.  I've read Lydiard's book though, and am familiar with the concepts and training.

I find I get some coordination development in hills and anaerobic.  Also, even though coordination is my weakest link, I find it can end up "capped" at a lower level if I don't spend enough time in hills and anaerobic.  Similarly, my best speed in anaerobic might did plateau sooner if I didn't develop enough power in the hills phase.  On short time, I wouldn't spend more on coordination vs. hills or anaerobic, especially if it was a longer race.  A lot of it is getting a sense of your own body's response and development, though.

Though I'm not a regular poster on the big forums or this user group, I've really enjoyed lurking on your training threads! Smile  Don't feel weird about sharing, your posts have made me look at my own training from new directions, too!

Though I'm not a regular poster on the big forums or this user group, I've really enjoyed lurking on your training threads! Smile  Don't feel weird about sharing, your posts have made me look at my own training from new directions, too!

Your points make a lot of sense. Glad the threads are adding perspective! I guess that's the purpose of a forum; that, and funny anecdotes.