Running-Wizard

4K intervals--does that include the recovery portion? (Read 25 times)

Supersono99

If the plan says 4K intervals max total distance, does that mean 4K of speed portion only or both speed and recovery portion? It also says 15 min warmup and 15 min cool down, I'm guessing thse don't count towards the 4K or there would be no distance left.

JML

The 4k is just the actual intervals, not the recovery or warmup / cooldown.

For example -  15 minute warmup, 10x400 with 400 jogs, 16 minute cooldown would equal 4k intervals under this plan.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

Thank you!

perryw

Oh dear. The 6k intervals I have on my plan just got harder!

Supersono99

Perry, I thought the same thing. I thought tomorrow's run would be "easy" because I thought it was only 4K total, it just got harder by a lot.

Keep in mind that's maximum. You might want to build up to that. Also, take a look at the pace chart where you can do them by distance or duration.

(I think if I followed the max directions, my intervals could be longer than the longest long run specified - or close to it. I'm not there yet. Also trying to figure out how RPE up to 9 can be 1/4 or 1/2 effort.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              JML

Keep in mind that's maximum. You might want to build up to that. Also, take a look at the pace chart where you can do them by distance or duration.

This is an excellent point.  You should only run intervals while you are able to maintain good form and consistent pace.  I use the pace from RunningWizard as a guideline but generally try to run them at a pace that is hard but sustainable. (1/4 effort=hard, 1/2 effort=harder, 3/4 effort=pretty damn hard).  If you find yourself at repeat 8 of a 10x400 workout where you don't think you can continue with a hard but controlled effort, it is time to stop.

A couple of years ago (in my pre RunningWizard era), I was at the track running a 6x800 workout at a pace that was beyond my capacity.  In repeat 5, my form went south and I lost my footing while running at a very fast pace.  The resulting stumble ended with landing hard on my left heal which caused a stress fracture.  Six weeks in a boot with no running was a hard way to learn the lesson that intervals are a potential source of injury if done incorrectly.

As Nobby said in class..... "When in doubt.....do less".

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

I think this workout was above my beginner head. I ran it on a TM so I could hold the correct pace. I honestly don't think I ran the intervals hard enough as I felt like I could've kept going. The description on this workout confused me. I ended up doing 5 x 800s with 400 recoveries because my hr was120 or less after 400.

I think this workout was above my beginner head. I ran it on a TM so I could hold the correct pace. I honestly don't think I ran the intervals hard enough as I felt like I could've kept going. The description on this workout confused me. I ended up doing 5 x 800s with 400 recoveries because my hr was120 or less after 400.

I beg to differ! It sounds like you did just fine. You SHOULD feel like you could do more after these intervals. You shouldn't feel like death afterwards because the point is not to run as fast as you can, it's to get - as Nobby said elsewhere on here - "a stimulus for some amount of time". Which you did. So, win!

I felt the same way during my interval training phase, wondering if I was running fast enough because the workouts didn't seem that hard while I was doing them. But the cumulative effect of 2 interval workouts + 1 PCR per week turned out to be pretty exhausting, even without running them super-fast.

Supersono99

It must be because I have a 4 day per week plan, but I only have one interval workout and the PCR in a week. I noticed the description and some of you have mentioned more than one interval session in a week.