Running-Wizard

TAPER MADNESS WHEEEEEEE (Read 33 times)

I just finished my last Out&Back. Taper has officially started. I would like to claim taper madness but honestly, I've been freaking out about this race for quite some time, so taper is just a convenient excuse to make me seem more normal. Plus I'm going to have a lot more free time to think about it, what with the reduced mileage and all. YAY!

Anyone else tapering? Care to join me in the obsessing? Have I worked hard enough? Should I have run those cut-downs one second faster? How on earth am I going to sleep for the next 2 weeks when I'm only running like half as much, and mostly at a jog? What if I don't hit the goal time for my tune-up race next weekend?

Obviously the answers are: No, you suck; yes, of course you should have and now you've ruined everything; ask your husband if he has any ideas; and you have no other option but to hit the goal time because the entire world is literally depending on you to do so.

But there are surely more questions where that came from...

Harriet, exactly how I felt my whole taper...so glad to know it isn't just me. Smile Trust your training, you will rock your race

Hungry

I've still got 6 or 7 weeks until taper time. And I WAS looking forward to it. But it sounds like it has some challenges of its own. Good luck getting through it! Last Fall, when I tapered, I focused my obsessive energy on nutrition -- I read about carbo-loading plans. One of the plans included Swedish Fish (the red chewy candies) as part of the carbo-loading plan. So that's the plan I chose. Mmmmm, Swedish Fish ...

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

Harriet, exactly how I felt my whole taper...so glad to know it isn't just me. Smile Trust your training, you will rock your race

No, not just you Smile

I think I trust the training and the plan, but I don't trust myself (to have done it properly, to have worked hard enough, to have the mental fortitude to do the best I can on race day...)

I generally lurk but this is a topic that I wanted to jump in on.  Race is this Saturday and I've been tweaking for a few days already.  Had my time trial this past Saturday and have been obsessing over the splits, how I didn't feel as fresh as I'd hoped and now second guessing my goal times.  Today I have my 'Up-Tempo'  which is supposed to be the same pace as my 5k time trial.  The bold, underlined part is 'run just hard enough to sharpen the pencil and not break the tip' which has me thinking... 'oh shit, did I break the tip on Saturday.  should i have held back some.  why aren't my legs as fresh as I thought they should be at this point.  etc, etc. '

ah yes.  taper madness indeed.

I generally lurk but this is a topic that I wanted to jump in on.  Race is this Saturday and I've been tweaking for a few days already.  Had my time trial this past Saturday and have been obsessing over the splits, how I didn't feel as fresh as I'd hoped and now second guessing my goal times.  Today I have my 'Up-Tempo'  which is supposed to be the same pace as my 5k time trial.  The bold, underlined part is 'run just hard enough to sharpen the pencil and not break the tip' which has me thinking... 'oh shit, did I break the tip on Saturday.  should i have held back some.  why aren't my legs as fresh as I thought they should be at this point.  etc, etc. '

ah yes.  taper madness indeed.

oh, this sounds familiar. Welcome to the club Smile what distance is your goal race?

Did you so the time trial alone, or run a race? I don't think I could hit the goal time running alone.

Doing a half this weekend, the Kentucky Derby Mini.

For the time trial I ended up running solo, so that at least gives me some comfort that I was mostly able to hit the times.  I had to back out of the 5k I had planned on due to family commitments so was stuck doing it alone.  So, while it seemed more difficult to maintain the times I kept in the back of my mind that it would have likely been easier with a crowd.  Still doesn't shake the self doubt.  Oh well, it'll all be over soon.

JML

You have not truly been overtaken by taper madness until you start obsessively checking the weather forecast for race day.

My favorite site:  http://weatherspark.com/

Lots of data to obsess over.   You can thank me later.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

I am already like 640 percent certain that the weather on may 5th will be 90 degrees (I.e. First hot day of the year) and blinding sunshine. It can't happen any other way, but I've made my peace with it during 600 or so km's of training on ice in a blizzard.

Heh.  Already there.  While actual temps don't concern me, it's the forecast of thunder storms that have me tweaking of potential delays or cancellations.

But thanks for the site, hadn't stumbled upon that one before.

JML

I am already like 640 percent certain that the weather on may 5th will be 90 degrees (I.e. First hot day of the year) and blinding sunshine. It can't happen any other way, but I've made my peace with it during 600 or so km's of training on ice in a blizzard.

What.....no locusts?  We have already had a train disrupt a race.....why not a cloud of flying insects?

Don't rule out blizzards yet, Kansas saw three inches of snow yesterday! I like to worry about the weather and then worry about what I should wear for each and every senerio I can come up with

I feel like locusts are reserved for races where something really big is riding on it, like money or a marriage proposal or something. My piddling HM effort surely warrants no more than 90 degrees and way too much sun. Ooh, and maybe some humidity, yeah.

But seriously, guys. I feel (physically) absolutely terrible right now! Yeah, I have a cold, and haven't slept much this week, but even so. I just dragged myself around a 5km loop and every stride was a major effort. Had thought about working in some 50/50's, since I missed that workout on Monday due to illness, but everything just HURT and sprinting seemed like a bad idea, as well as physically impossible.

Is this what everyone is on about when they whine about tapering? Geez. I thought I was going to feel physically spiffy but emotionally on-edge. Now I just assume the race will be a disaster and want nothing more but to take a nap for the next three weeks or so.

JML

My first week of taper is usually the same as yours.  I typically feel  beat up and run down.  Don't worry.....totally normal!  It is time to relax and let the training soak in. I predict that you will feel pretty good as race day approaches.

Try to resist the urge to add quality to your workouts.  Anything that you do now cannot really improve your fitness and you run the risk of injury.  Better to do less and just run the easy jogs as per the plan.   The hay is in the barn and all you need to do now is coast until the race. Easy......right?

IF IN DOUBT, DO LESS!!

If you have a cold, or struggling with sickness or sore muscles, you shouldn't be running just to keep up with the schedule.  Are you using Recovery Indicators?  If you're sick, it should show as a raised HR and you should just go easy jog or something.  If you had missed a workout like 50/50 due to illness, don't try to make it up.  Just let it go...  That was not the only workout, right?  You've done some fast running earlier; missing ONE workout won't make it or break it.  Again, a beauty of Lydiard training...or Running Wizard is that you had put together all the necessary elements along the way; so when the race arrives, you should have a knowledge that you had done everything that you were supposed to do.  For a half marathon, your longest run may not have gone 13 miles or 12 miles or whatever, but you should know that you had done plenty of long runs without beating up your legs.  You have done hills, you have done intervals, you have done fast sprint training...  When his runners came to him right before the race, Arthur used to say to them: "You've done your homework now.  Just get out and have fun!!"  Same thing with the weather.  We don't have any control over the weather.  It may be hot but KNOW THAT YOU HAD DONE YOUR HOMEWORK.  Of course, realize that, if it's really hot, start out conservatively and not try to stick with the pre-determined pace.  Start easy and pick up the pace in the second half!! ;o)  You have done fast running that it should not be a struggle.  Condition is the same for everyone; but you have the advantage of knowing that you had done all the necessary elements.  Relax, sit back and enjoy the race.  The worst thing you can do right now is to panic and try to do more or try to catch up with the missed workout.  Forget about it.  If you don't feel up for it, just go nice and easy jog for 20-30 minutes; let your body sweat out the worries.  Pre-race jitter is nothing new.  Remember, a couple of years ago when Wannaberunner ran her first marathon; she texted me the day before the marathon that she could not even run for 20-minutes, in tears!!  She ran 3:38 (I think): http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/blog/EntryDisplay.aspx?EntryID=116

Interestingly, that same weekend, I had to deal with another girl who texted me, telling me she felt terrible and couldn't run (she was running a 25k race to prepare for Twin Cities marathon 5 weeks later).  I told her to just get out and run!!  She ran a 5-minutes PR.

But seriously, guys. I feel (physically) absolutely terrible right now! Yeah, I have a cold, and haven't slept much this week, but even so. I just dragged myself around a 5km loop and every stride was a major effort. Had thought about working in some 50/50's, since I missed that workout on Monday due to illness, but everything just HURT and sprinting seemed like a bad idea, as well as physically impossible.

Is this what everyone is on about when they whine about tapering? Geez. I thought I was going to feel physically spiffy but emotionally on-edge. Now I just assume the race will be a disaster and want nothing more but to take a nap for the next three weeks or so.