Running-Wizard

talk to me about morning running... (Read 41 times)

Hi everyone! So...running early in the morning. A lot of you guys do, right? At the moment I'm a "sometime before noon" runner (yes my existence is cushy) but for three weeks in July, due to child care/scheduling issues, I'm going to have to be an early a.m. runner. Like,6 a.m or earlier.

I am not a morning person, but my only alternative is running at 9 pm, and that's no good - I can't sleep after running so late.

So...any tips? Do you eat breakfast and coffee up before you run? Or just hit the road? How long does it take to adjust to an early wakeup? Possibly a dumb topic - like, just get up and get dressed and out the door- but maybe someone has the magic answer that will make this magically no problem at all...

Harriet, I run early in the morning before my husband has to leave for work, I used to be out the door by five am, but lately I am having to leave earlier since the runs have gotten longer!

it probably took me about a month to get used to getting up so much earlier, and here is the big thing...you MUST go to bed earlier!! If you are used to seven hours of sleep (or whatever number) then go to bed that many hours earlier.

I have gotten it down to a pretty good system, I put all of my clothes in the bathroom so when my alarm goes off I can get dressed without waking up my hubbie, my shoes are by the door. It takes me about ten minutes from waking up to walking out of my neighborhood. I don't however eat or drink anything before a morning run, in fact...I almost never do. Food in my stomach always means a bad run for me. Lately though because of the heat/humidity I am having to take a water bottle with me, which I will prepare the night before.

I have been running early in the mornings for a couple of years now and I love it. The weather is better, it's quiet and calm, and it's a great way to start my day!

JML

I miss morning running (my silly commute precludes it now).  I definitely prefer to run early as I find it very easy to roll out of bed and just get out the door.  It also sets me up well for the day as I am fully awake and energized after a run. I typically do not eat anything before the run and layout my gear the night before so I can quickly get going.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I am not a morning person at all... however, ironically am a morning runner. It is the only thing I will willfully get out of bed early for. I work long hours and get home late, drained of energy and starving so running after work just doesn't happen so morning running it is!

Since I suck at mornings and getting out of bed, I will always sleep til the last possible second before needing to get up....on any day, for any reason. So, as someone else mentioned, to save time in the morning I try to check the hourly forecast the night before for when I will be running and lay out clothes the night before (sometimes with a "contingency item" in case the weather is slightly different than forecasted....such as an extra layer (applied more to winter)), as well as all my accessories in one place (Garmin, ipod, ect). Then I roll out of bed, drink a little water, don't eat anything, get dressed, foam roll, then off I go! Eating right before running and drinking coffee right before running don't do well for my stomach, so I have those after I get back.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Supersono99

On the mornings that I run before work, I have to be finished by 5:20am. Since I'm slow, that equates to some early get-ups. It eventually gets easier. I just drink some water and get out the door. I like sleeping so I don't get up earlier to eat or read the paper. I set my clothes out in the bathroom the night before.

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

On the mornings that I run before work, I have to be finished by 5:20am. Since I'm slow, that equates to some early get-ups. It eventually gets easier. I just drink some water and get out the door. I like sleeping so I don't get up earlier to eat or read the paper. I set my clothes out in the bathroom the night before.

+1 this is me, exactly. Except I need to finish by 6:10-6:15

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I'm a morning person. I typically wake up between 3:00 am and 4:00 am. My usual routine is:

1. Get into running gear
                2. Eat breakfast - half a cup of muesli with half a cup of yoghurt.
                3. Drink half a glass to a glass of water
                4. Go to the toilet (yes the muesli gets me moving within 5 minutes most mornings)
                5. Drive to work (45 minutes)
                6. Run

I find if I don't have something to eat my stomach will get very uncomfortable, to the point of wanting to vomit, for about 5 to 10 minutes at some stage of my run. Eating mostly avoids this problem for me.

Of course everyone is different. You may need to experiment to find out what works best for you.

Geoff

Thanks everyone Smile I woke up randomly at 5 a.m. and thought about this thread, debated getting up just to see what it would be like, and then went back to sleep...maybe I'll start cold brewing coffee and leaving it on my nightstand....

do we need to get Suddood over here again??

Hungry

That's right. I'll rattle my virtual metal garbage can over your head at oh-dark-thirty if I hear any more of that romper room sissy talk!

MTA: Although your running log is starting to show signs of promise. Nice work!

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

For some reason all i can think of is "nobody expects the spanish inquisition!"

Our chief weapon is surprise! Surprise and fear, fear and surprise! our two chief weapons are surprise, fear, and ruthless midwestern politeness...our three chief weapons are surprise, fear, ruthless midwestern politeness and a fanatical devotion to the recovery indicators...our four weapons...amongst our weaponry are such elements as surprise,fear, and....I'll just come in again...

Hungry

For some reason all i can think of is "nobody expects the spanish inquisition!"

Our chief weapon is surprise! Surprise and fear, fear and surprise! our two chief weapons are surprise, fear, and ruthless midwestern politeness...our three chief weapons are surprise, fear, ruthless midwestern politeness and a fanatical devotion to the recovery indicators...our four weapons...amongst our weaponry are such elements as surprise,fear, and....I'll just come in again...

I've retired the drill sergeant bit. But ruthless midwestern politeness -- that I can do!

Great work, keep it up!

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston