Running-Wizard

Need advice on building up to start of RW training plan (Read 49 times)

I've enjoyed lurking in this forum and learning more about how to use the RW plan I have for the Marine Corps Marathon.  I thought I'd be able to build my mileage up to the 30 ish miles per week in my plan but an old it band/piriformis/something has cropped up again.  I'd really like to be strong for the marathon and enjoy it so I've eased way back on running and am seeing a chiropractor in hopes of really healing it this time.  My hip is feeling better but yells at me when I run faster or longer than about 2.5-3 miles.

I've been running pretty steadily for the past 5 years including several half-marathons and one full back in 2008.  I finally participated in a local training group last summer and saw nice improvement in my half marathon time (from 2:10 in 2010 to 2:05 last year; the 2:10 hurt every step pretty much and the 2:05 felt great with minimal soreness after).  I tried the Maffetone LHR training over the winter, hoping that running at an easier pace would help to resolve my hip issues but it wasn't enough on it's own.

I'd appreciate thoughts and advice on how to build up or adjust the RW plan so that I can let my hip heal and still be ready for the Marathon.  I've finally accepted that just running with no cross training is not such a good idea for my body, so I've been riding my bike on the trainer. The chiropractor has given me several exercises to do every day, mostly glute strength and single leg balance stuff.  In a weird spin of karma, I won a month of boot camp after pooh-poohing such things for years.  The chiropractor ok'd the boot camp participation and the trainer for boot camp seems amenable to adjustments, etc.

My plan officially starts May 12 so adjusting the start of it is probably the first step. Adjusting my attitude to be ok with very little running when there's a plan out there waiting for me is the next.

Advice? Kind words? Suggestions?

Thanks!

2014 - hmm, what next?

JML

Hi Patty Mr,

My personal opinion is that you are in a tough spot.  The injury you describe sounds similar in scale to an ITB problem I had in 2009. It took a long time to resolve and I pretty much had to take my training week by week until I figured out how to resolve it.   Starting any training program for a marathon was not possible for me at the time until I sorted out the injury.  While I am a huge fan of the running wizard approach and think that it would be a good training plan for your marathon, I would counsel getting your injury sorted out before you start training for any race, never mind a marathon.  Given that the initial phase of rw is composed of lots of longer aerobic runs, you may well prolong recovery from the injury if you try to train through it.

I hope that you feel better soon.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Hi Patty Mr,

My personal opinion is that you are in a tough spot.  The injury you describe sounds similar in scale to an ITB problem I had in 2009. It took a long time to resolve and I pretty much had to take my training week by week until I figured out how to resolve it.   Starting any training program for a marathon was not possible for me at the time until I sorted out the injury.  While I am a huge fan of the running wizard approach and think that it would be a good training plan for your marathon, I would counsel getting your injury sorted out before you start training for any race, never mind a marathon.  Given that the initial phase of rw is composed of lots of longer aerobic runs, you may well prolong recovery from the injury if you try to train through it.

I hope that you feel better soon.

Hi Patty! I agree with JML. You really should sort out that hip issue - both let it heal, and figure out why it happened so you can avoid it in the future - before starting with any training plan. It doesn't sound like something you'll be able to train through.

Running Wizard is great though! Totally recommend it when you are ready to start marathon training. Good luck!

Thanks JML and Runharrietrun!  Not what I want to hear, but probably what I need to hear.

My hip is making good progress so I'd be crazy to cut that progress short by ramping up mileage before I'm really healed (I keep reminding myself of this).  The chiro I'm working with has videotaped me on a treadmill and had a few form suggestions; he wants to see me run again in a few weeks.  I think I'm on a good track, but I've thought that before Joking.  I'm not ready to rule out the marathon yet, but will look into the deferment policy.

Suggestions for making peace with the unpredictable healing process?  Any and all suggestions for healing the IT band, TFL, piriformis, etc. appreciated!  JML, what helped with your hip issue?

2014 - hmm, what next?

JML

Suggestions for making peace with the unpredictable healing process?  Any and all suggestions for healing the IT band, TFL, piriformis, etc. appreciated!  JML, what helped with your hip issue?

It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind regarding the marathon.  I had to downsize a race from a full to a half due to an injury issue a few years ago and it was the right choice.  I ended up running a PR at the half and giving my injury time to heal without the wear and tear that comes with marathon training.

My problem manifested during training for my first marathon after an 18 year break from running.  My pain was mostly in the outside of my knee but I did feel the tightness and pain up through my hip as well.

What helped me (in no particular order):

- Becoming good friends with my foam roller

- finding a deep tissue masseuse who spent some quality time digging out the knots and adhesions in my ITB (particularly around the knee).  I strongly recommend finding a practitioner of Active Release Technique (ART).

- Strengthening - achieved through a variety of body weight exercises (including walking lunges, single leg squats)

- More running - I think that I developed the problem by trying to do too much too soon and aggravated the ITB as a result.  I learned (the hard way) that resuming training like I did when I was in my teens (two a days, multiple speed workouts per week)  was not a particularly good idea.  Taking the time to slow down my pace and allow my legs to acclimate to the stresses of running was definitely part of the healing process.

Good luck!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

northernman

Fight The Future

Thanks JML and Runharrietrun!  Not what I want to hear, but probably what I need to hear.

My hip is making good progress so I'd be crazy to cut that progress short by ramping up mileage before I'm really healed (I keep reminding myself of this).  The chiro I'm working with has videotaped me on a treadmill and had a few form suggestions; he wants to see me run again in a few weeks.  I think I'm on a good track, but I've thought that before Joking.  I'm not ready to rule out the marathon yet, but will look into the deferment policy.

You might take a look at "Anatomy for Runners". I'm about halfway through it, and the author seems to have an interesting take on running injuries and how to resolve them. he's a physical therapist with experience in biomechanical engineering, i think.

Northernman - great minds think alike?  I just ordered that book!  It's great to hear a good review of it; I'm sure that I'm doing something that aggravates this hip thing since it never really goes away.

JML - lots of similarity in the injury story so that gives me hope!  Mine started as ITBS in 2006 while training for my first half marathon.  Now I realize that my weekly mileage was too low and my long runs were too high as a percentage of my weekly miles, yay hindsight.  I saw a sports med dr & physical therapist and thought it was healed but the pain came back when I tried to run longer runs.  Since then I've seen 3 more physical therapists, and bought a foam roller but the pain was now in my hip rather than at my knee.

The latest round of treatment is with a chiropractor who practices ART and "dry needling" (a form of acupuncture). I'm thinking of getting more acupuncture since what he's done has helped (along with the ART, etc.)  I've backed way off on running and am trying to love the bike since it doesn't aggravate my hip.  I'm trying to make peace with just seeing how it goes from week to week and will try to ease back into running very conservatively.  I hope to keep working with the chiropractor as I start running more, I think he'll have some suggestions about form that may help prevent this from returning (along with actually having some core & glute strength : )

Sorry, if I'm obsessing a bit, I really love running and do want to be healthy enough to keep doing it for years to come.

2014 - hmm, what next?

I'm back to obsessing again : )  I figure if there's any group of people out there who'll understand, it's this group (hopefully)!

A month later, my hip is noticeably better and my impatience is flaring.  It's still a bit stiff during the day but the stiffness and pain while running is less.  I've had a few runs where I thought, "hey, I haven't noticed my hip hurting" and that didn't jinx it, so there's definitely improvement.  I've been running around 10 miles per week and have added some biking sessions.  The biking feels good on my legs and makes me think I'm maintaining some fitness (keeps me off the crazy train, for the most part  : ).

So now I think I'm ready to increase my mileage a bit and see what happens.  I'm still seeing the chiropractor weekly which is a reality check of sorts. I'll ask him to look at my form again and help me with adjustments.  So far (on the treadmill) he noticed that my right foot swings out and my shoulders are stiff.

I've thought about going to an acupuncturist since the dry needling seems to work.  If that would speed up the healing process, it could be worth it.  Thoughts?  Experiences?

I'm a long way from starting any marathon plans but I'm considering using run/walk intervals for a 10 miler next month if I can comfortably cover longer distances.  Letting go of 2 races that I registered (and paid) for is a bit hard but I keep reminding myself that a healthy hip is worth it.  I am looking forward to running a bit more and getting back to doing longer runs.

I enjoy reading about the progress and PRs of others using RW, keep up the great work!

Patty

2014 - hmm, what next?