Running-Wizard

My unfinished business with the 5K (Read 202 times)

JML

Thanks guys.   It was a really good day.  I am already looking forward to the next race.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Sorry, guys, that I've been slacking. Had a 4-day marathon clinic (and not just a content!!) this past weekend in Boulder; came home and trying to catch up and got a new project... Trying write this, sneaking during a seminar!!!

JML; I'm sorry to say but you are through with me--I have a policy; that I don't help runners who run faster than me!!! (With my recent being 20:06)

Seroously, a big congrats!! We used your story as an example on Sunday that, by simply balancing the training, you WILL get this huge jump in performance. Actually I was particularly pissed off..., I mean, happy for you that you did it on 4-days-a-week plan!! But that proves that we got the balance right for that plan as well.

One thing I'm curious to know, and if this is so, I really e want others to remember as well, is whether or not you actually trained "race pace" interval or tempo run??? You see, it really doesn't matter. You put them ALL together and it'll come to you in the race. The race pace comes to you in the end. You thrash your so-called "expected" (or wishful) pace in training and more often than not, that will end up over-training. There's no need for that.

Well done, John!!

Thanks guys.   It was a really good day.  I am already looking forward to the next race.

JML

Good luck getting rid of me Nobby.   Now that you have turned from a hobby jogger into a slightly faster hobby jogger, I am sticking with Running Wizard!

As to your question, I never specifically trained for race pace.  There were a few short intervals (200s, 100s and strides)  that ended up being faster than race pace but they were really brief efforts.  I think that my fastest tempo run ended up around a 7:30 pace and my fastest time trial was 3k @ 6:37. After two cycles of RW, I completely trust that it is going to come together on race day and don't see the need to do longer efforts at goal pace.

When I get back to the US, I can extract some pace / mileage stats from my training log.  I am a bit curious as well to see how the numbers stack up.   I am in Africa currently and the Internet access is a bit spotty.

Thanks

Jon

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...