Running-Wizard

One more hills question.... (Read 34 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Ok so I'm visiting my grandma for the week. It is supposed to be my 2nd (really 3rd but I missed the first hill workout due to life stuff that came up) and final hill week. Thing is, my grandma lives in a HILLY area. I mean, there is NO flat stretches in her whole area, everything is undulating and many areas are quite steep. Looks like EVERY run this week will be a hill workout! Should I still designate one run as a formal hill workout and do the bounding?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I'd say "yes." Bounding is different than just running hills. But, depending upon how hilly your runs normally are, I'd use caution in terms of not overdoing things. Maybe run gentler hills the next day.

Enjoy!

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

greetings from the Bavarian alps! I have the same issue as you, Kristin - I'm on vacation and supposed to be "doing hills" when everything is a hill. Like a 2000+ meter hill Big grin

I was going to skip the bounding and just spend two weeks running uphill, but I think aktrail is right. Slogging up hills is not the same as bounding. I'm going to try and fit in some hill bounding later this week; I probably won't do all the prescribed workouts but I really think 1 or 2 would be helpful.

Ok so I'm visiting my grandma for the week. It is supposed to be my 2nd (really 3rd but I missed the first hill workout due to life stuff that came up) and final hill week. Thing is, my grandma lives in a HILLY area. I mean, there is NO flat stretches in her whole area, everything is undulating and many areas are quite steep. Looks like EVERY run this week will be a hill workout! Should I still designate one run as a formal hill workout and do the bounding?

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Wow!!! Yeah the Alps may have a little incline!

greetings from the Bavarian alps! I have the same issue as you, Kristin - I'm on vacation and supposed to be "doing hills" when everything is a hill. Like a 2000+ meter hill Big grin

I was going to skip the bounding and just spend two weeks running uphill, but I think aktrail is right. Slogging up hills is not the same as bounding. I'm going to try and fit in some hill bounding later this week; I probably won't do all the prescribed workouts but I really think 1 or 2 would be helpful.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I'd say "yes." Bounding is different than just running hills. But, depending upon how hilly your runs normally are, I'd use caution in terms of not overdoing things. Maybe run gentler hills the next day.

Enjoy!

Hmmmmm, I'm just entering my final week of "Hills" on my RW plan and am now concerned that I have been doing it wrong.  I've been doing hill sprints rather than bounding...just trying to summit the hills as fast as possible.  What are the potential benefits to my training that I've been missing by doing it that way?

Hungry

Hmmmmm, I'm just entering my final week of "Hills" on my RW plan and am now concerned that I have been doing it wrong.  I've been doing hill sprints rather than bounding...just trying to summit the hills as fast as possible.  What are the potential benefits to my training that I've been missing by doing it that way?

I'm not sure exactly -- but I'll try to respond anyway.  I think you probably benefitted some from running the hills like sprints. But the idea of the hill "bounding" is to do them slowly, so that they are a "plyometric" exercise. OK, I confess, I don't even know what "plyometric" means ... but the idea is to strengthen your legs to prepare them for the Anaerobic phase to follow. There are exercises where, if done very slowly, they are very difficult and build up a certain type of strength -- slow push-ups for me are a good example. So, I think the idea is the same here. My speed during hill bounding is slower than my Jog pace, but I really feel it in my legs!

Does that make any sense? You still have a week to try doing the bounding motion. There is a link to a video (?? or maybe just pictures??) on the RW website, and it gives a pretty good idea of how to do them.

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

Thanks SubDood.  I'll definitely be doing some bounding this week.  I've been feeling it in my legs after the hill sprints too, so maybe I'm not off too much from where I need to be.

Thanks SubDood.  I'll definitely be doing some bounding this week.  I've been feeling it in my legs after the hill sprints too, so maybe I'm not off too much from where I need to be.

Take a look at the description here to see some of the things you're supposed to focus on - like form - as well as things that you shouldn't do at this stage.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Take a look at the description here to see some of the things you're supposed to focus on - like form - as well as things that you shouldn't do at this stage.

Thanks.  I did my hills session pretty much "by the book" this a.m.  Three sets...was going to try a fourth, but decided not to overdo it.  Was very careful with the speed and was keeping my focus on form the whole time...even during stride outs and recoveries.  A great work out!  Oddly though my legs don't feel tired...more like very loosened up and, for lack of a better word, "alive."  A very different feeling overall from the hill sprints I was doing earlier.