Running-Wizard

Longest long run (Read 86 times)

laurita

Hello Nobby, first of all, thank you very much for your very complete answer. The reason i decided to give a try to Running Wizard is because it was recommended to me when i mentioned on a previous post how surprised i was by how different seemed to be marathon training programs available when i first started to do some research on them:

• Smart Coach on Runner's World:  Longest training available is 24 weeks. Running only 3 times a week, including a speed or tempo run. Cross training suggested on the other days. This program seemed to have you running very little during the week and then somehow supposed to make it to a really long run on the weekend. For example, week 5 was 12 mile long run, then 6: 14 miles, 7:16, 8: 6, 9:18, 10:20, 11:16, 12:7, 13:20, 14:16, 15: 20, 16: 8, 17:16, 18:20, 19:16, 20:9, 21:20, 22:12, 23:8, 24: race 26.2. Once i saw all these details, i thought, OGM, iam going to be burned by the time i get to the race if i even make it not getting hurt before with so much effort and not being prepared.
    • Hal Higdon programs: Novice 1 training is only 18 weeks! Running 5 times a week and optional sort of tempo by doing the 3/1 strategy. Cross training suggested on Sundays, Rest on Monday and Friday. I liked that there was more running during the week but i didnt see me running 15mi after week 10, increasing from that point and then be ready by week 18.

Those plans made me think that i had to come up with my own plan if i wanted to train longer and safer, but somebody recommeded my Running Wizard, and iam actually happy about the program, just really needed to get information on the science behind it and why it should work, somehow i thought that maybe it was going to be better than the other programs for me, but maybe it was going to to still have at least 1 or 2 longer runs as the others too.  I think i read at least one article (i cannot remember the its name) that stated something very similar to what you were saying, that after 2.5 hrs there was really no more benefit, and greater chances of damage. The stats you mentioned ("after LA marathon, he texted me and said the group's "finish rate" went up from 75% to 95%; and the injury rate dropped from 27% to 5") and all the other cases mentioned earlier, are good reasons to believe this way of training should work better and seems to be safer too. Also in my hometown, at least as a woman, there is not a safe place to run on the streets, i run on a small park near my house, so shorter distances are easier to manage.

Something else that i wont have available is a place to train hills. I'm thinking i will need to get the training on a treadmill, do you think this will still work?

Thank you again, iam really very much happy that it is possible to have this interaction, after all as someone new on the marathon distance this is really a big challenge!

laurita....my hill training weeks for my program just happened to land on weeks where we got lots of snow and ice in my area and i wasn't able to go outside for the workouts. i did one of the hill workouts on the treadmill, it's tricky, but you can do it. Finding the right speed with the right incline took me a bit, but i did figure it out. not as good as running a "real hill" but an option if you don't have any other choice

Hungry

laurita....my hill training weeks for my program just happened to land on weeks where we got lots of snow and ice in my area and i wasn't able to go outside for the workouts. i did one of the hill workouts on the treadmill, it's tricky, but you can do it. Finding the right speed with the right incline took me a bit, but i did figure it out. not as good as running a "real hill" but an option if you don't have any other choice

I am doing most of my Hill workouts on a treadmill (because of snow and ice ... and lack of hills nearby). I think Nobby has mentioned somewhere that stairs are a very good substitute for actual hills, maybe even better. When I watched the videos of people bounding and springing up a hill, I could see replicating that action on stairs (two at a time, for example). (On the other hand, going down stairs might not be a good idea.)

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

Hungry

Earlier in this thread, Nobby mentioned the 3x20 mile plans with some disdain. I followed one of those types of plans last summer before running a marathon in October. I am now almost 14 weeks into an RW marathon plan, and I happened to look at a plot of my daily mileage over the last year. After customizing it a bit, I think it shows graphically one of the big differences between these plans -- namely, the length/duration of the mid-week runs (see RED curves in plot below) and overall consistency. (Maybe I'll update this plot after I run the race in June.) For someone who is concerned that, with RW, they aren't running enough "really long" long runs (like they would with one of the 3x20 mile plans) and are afraid they won't be prepared for the full marathon, I think it might help to look at this to alleviate those concerns. It stood out to me when I looked at it and thought I should share:

MTA: Deleted -- Not sure how to post the graph as an image here. Oops.

Maybe easier to link to it: http://www.runningahead.com/logs/829207e9fa8845b1aef0c88124433cd9/reports/graph?e10=10&l12=2013-06-22&g12=2012-06-01&x=12&y=20&t=0

laurita

Christirei, SubDood  thank you for sharing...... this is great news that at least a few have tried and it worked, not looking forward to spend so much time on a treadmill though....i might look for some fun stairs hah

I just took a look to the plot, so it seems that we are running longer more frequently right? That is what i thought with the SC, that i wasnt going to be running enough with an easy, an interval and a crazy long run every weekend. Its a very nice plot, thanks again! I hope you remember sharing later on to see the final shape.

Hungry

I just took a look to the plot, so it seems that we are running longer more frequently right? That is what i thought with the SC, that i wasnt going to be running enough with an easy, an interval and a crazy long run every weekend. Its a very nice plot, thanks again! I hope you remember sharing later on to see the final shape.

Yeah, the plot is still a work in progress. But the thing that stood out when I looked at it the first time was how the "really long" runs in the 3x20 plan looked like skinny weak tree branches sticking up from a small foundation (trunk), whereas under the current RW plan, the plot just looks really dense and solid. I've still got a ways to go, though, but I'm glad someone else found it interesting. I'll be more likely to update it now! Thanks!