Running-Wizard

Goofed up long run: I blame the weather man (Read 30 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Was supposed to do a long aerobic run today, 14 miles at about 9:05 pace. Weather report said clear until about 10 AM, then increasing chances for thunder storms, so I got up early and started out at 6:30 or so. Made it to the turn around point, and then I felt the drops and heard the thunder. Some of the strikes were getting pretty close (about 3 seconds, by sound), and I found it hard to stay at a 9:00 pace. I ended up running about 8 minute miles for the second half, which i presume took me out of the aerobic range. Would have been interesting to see a heart rate strip after each lightning strike. It's really impressive how loud they can get, and how much energy must be released when it hits. I imagine if it hit you, you wouldn't feel a thing. I kept running with my head hunched between my shoulders, as if that would help at all.

Boston Strong in 2014!

But you didn't get hit by lightning, so it was a good run!

2014 goals

2000 miles; 5k < 24:30; HM < 1:56Century Bike Ride

Upcoming:

NYC Half Marathon 3/16Boston Marathon 4/21

zonykel

There are lots of thunderstorms in my area. With summer around the corner, I expect them to be a common occurrence. If you can see lightning, even over the horizon, head home. If you hear thunder, head home. As far as not feeling it if you get struck by lightning, well, that may be true if you die. But if you don't get struck directly, you can still get a good zap with permanent damage to your nervous system. Why risk it? There is a reason sporting events get cancelled during a thunderstorm.

northernman

Fight The Future

There are lots of thunderstorms in my area. With summer around the corner, I expect them to be a common occurrence. If you can see lightning, even over the horizon, head home. If you hear thunder, head home. As far as not feeling it if you get struck by lightning, well, that may be true if you die. But if you don't get struck directly, you can still get a good zap with permanent damage to your nervous system. Why risk it? There is a reason sporting events get cancelled during a thunderstorm.

I agree. Did not mean to imply I was tempting fate. Sky was clear and no sign of thunder or lightning until the half way point, at which I was 7 miles from home, and no option but to run back. That's the reason I ran faster than planned!

Hungry

Glad to hear you got back safely, northernman. We also had some lightning this morning a few miles farther north. I stayed inside and ran on the treadmill. This afternoon, we got hit with heavy rains. I now have a very wet basement. The water filled up a window well and spilled right in.

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

Supersono99

I fear lightning, that sounds scary as hell. Glad you made it safely.

Oh dear Subdood....hope you can get it cleaned up quickly with no further issues! We are having severe storms tonight and I am praying they pass through! Hubbie leaves tomorrow morning and it is my only chance for an outside run this week!

Hungry

Oh dear Subdood....hope you can get it cleaned up quickly with no further issues! We are having severe storms tonight and I am praying they pass through! Hubbie leaves tomorrow morning and it is my only chance for an outside run this week!

Thanks, Christirei. I'm probably starting to sound like the person who always has some greater tale of woe: "Oh, you think YOU've got it bad, let me tell you  ...  Lightning? That's nuthin'!  I gots flooding right here in my basement!" Yeah, I'll shut up and/or keep things positive.

Speaking of positive ... Holy Crap!! Is anyone looking at the RW status chart?  There are some serious PR's being set left and right. Please click on this link: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RunningWizard/forum/b348a45b422449ad98c044933452fe22/resume#focus

(Somebody, please look at my stupid chart or I swear I'll stop updating it!)

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston