Running-Wizard

Fartleks: am I doing them right? (Read 45 times)

Nuinta

Hi,

just got my plan, tonight is my first easy fartleks run, so I am so glad to see this info. I have to figure out how to do this on a treadmill, I've sort of maybe tried doing it a couple of times outside in the past ... But didn't have daylight to run outside today.  So treadmill it is.  Maybe i'll do recovery during a show and the speedy play during commercials? Any suggestions?

I do fartlek runs on my treadmill and it really is whatever you want it to be. I do sometimes run hard during the commercial breaks and recover during the "show"   or sometimes I will alternate between a short hard effort followed by a long recovery and then a longer more sustained effort followed by another long recovery and go back and forth like that. There is no pressure on this workout, it really is what you want/need it to be for that day. Just relax and have fun with it!

Philliefan33

My fartlek runs vary a lot, depending on how my body feels and my mood.  Sometimes I use visual cues (run fast until the next white mailbox), sometimes audio cues ( I call these "iPod fartleks" -- fast for one song, recover for 2 songs), but usually body cues -- run fast until I feel like I want to slow down, then recover until I want to go fast again.

I didn't have many "fast" portions in my fartlek run yesterday.  It was hot and I was on a hilly course.  I pushed the effort a few times to increase my breathing / heart rate, but I bet when I look back at the data there wasn't much pace difference.

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler

My fartleks end up like that sometimes too! Sometimes i am running the easy part much more than the fartlek part Smile

Hungry

My fartleks end up like that sometimes too! Sometimes i am running the easy part much more than the fartlek part Smile

Ditto!  When I read the words, "Easy Fartlek," I believe it translates literally into "EASY speed PLAY."  (Did I get that to work correctly?) In other words, any "speed" portions are only as fast and for only as long so that the overall workout still feels "easy" and "play[ful]."

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I was tired today and my recovery indicator told me "train don't strain"....so my fartlek consisted of almost all easy running and 2 strides. Thanks for helping me realize this was ok Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to