Running-Wizard

When Fully Recovered...Isn't... (Read 42 times)

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

So can anyone explain why the morning after a rest day it told me I was not fully recovered and the "train don't strain" yet I felt good to go, and this morning it told me I am fully recovered, yet I ran a 10K race yesterday (replacing my out and back) and I feel a bit sore ard tired today and KNOW I was dehydrated this morning.... I weigh 4 pounds less than yesterday, pee is dark (TMI?) feel so thirsty....it was a hot day yesterday and very humid and despite my best attempts at hydratig before, during and after the race I know I am still dehydrated a bit....anyway I am taking a rest day anyway but just confused about why it is telling me I am fully recovered?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Well, Kristin...  Nothing is perfect, right? ;o)

Don't take it as God's voice; there might be some reason why it comes out screwed.  We didn't put it up just for the heck of it; the guy with a decent reputation created it and we tested and tested again before we employed it.  I think it's pretty decent.  Is it perfect?  Probably not.  I mean; GPS is a great tool but it has led me to completely wrong places before (this is NOT me but some other stupid Jap! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/gps-tourists-australia_n_1363823.html).  It's only a guide.  At the end of the day, I'd say, follow your instinct over a program.

So can anyone explain why the morning after a rest day it told me I was not fully recovered and the "train don't strain" yet I felt good to go, and this morning it told me I am fully recovered, yet I ran a 10K race yesterday (replacing my out and back) and I feel a bit sore ard tired today and KNOW I was dehydrated this morning.... I weigh 4 pounds less than yesterday, pee is dark (TMI?) feel so thirsty....it was a hot day yesterday and very humid and despite my best attempts at hydratig before, during and after the race I know I am still dehydrated a bit....anyway I am taking a rest day anyway but just confused about why it is telling me I am fully recovered?

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

I'm not criticizing the tool I think it is great.... what I am wondering is maybe how much each of the 3 factors weigh in.... the night it had said I was not recovered I only got 4 hours of sleep. Not because I couldn't sleep, but because I had something going on.the night before that caused me not to be able to go to bed til 1:00 and I had to be up at 5:00 the next morning. But last night I got 8 hours of sleep because I could go to bed early. Is sleep a bigger factor perhaps than body weight? Just wondering for the future so I can better use the tool to judge my own recovery.

Well, Kristin...  Nothing is perfect, right? ;o)

Don't take it as God's voice; there might be some reason why it comes out screwed.  We didn't put it up just for the heck of it; the guy with a decent reputation created it and we tested and tested again before we employed it.  I think it's pretty decent.  Is it perfect?  Probably not.  I mean; GPS is a great tool but it has led me to completely wrong places before (this is NOT me but some other stupid Jap! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/19/gps-tourists-australia_n_1363823.html).  It's only a guide.  At the end of the day, I'd say, follow your instinct over a program.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

That's alright; I didn't quite take it as a criticism anyway.

Like I said, we went over this over and over and over; I plugged in some bogus numbers and checked and rechecked and rechecked...  Sometimes I got something like HR almost 20% up and other factors are fine and it came out "almost recovered".  The way Dick Brown explained to me was that, in MOST cases, if one is wacked for whatever the reason, there's got to be a reason why and it usually won't be just one wacked up factor.  For example, if you had very little sleep the night before, it just won't be less sleep but elevated HR to go with it...something like that.  Then it would become a matter of how much "wacked up".  Also there's a factor of today's number compared with other numbers (I think) 2 weeks leading up to.  In other words, if you continue sleepless nights for 2 weeks, it might become "a norm".  But then again, you'll most likely to have elevated HR.  So you just can't just pick one factor one day and say this or that.  It's a "flow" thing.

Again, in the end, it's still just a guide.  At the end of the day, YOU should be the best judge of it.  I feel; sometimes you just don't feel like running and it may come from plain laziness; but, if you don't feel like doing it, why not just skip it and not worry about it?  I think it says something and shouldn't be ignored.

Also, what I would really like to do is to add "leg soreness" to the factor.  Dick Brown came up with this formula based on his experience at Athletic West.  I'm not sure how many elite runners get sore muscles but us mortals tend to get it more and that should be included.  I just don't want people to go ahead and do the workout with sore leg muscles just because RI said you're recovered.

I'm not criticizing the tool I think it is great.... what I am wondering is maybe how much each of the 3 factors weigh in.... the night it had said I was not recovered I only got 4 hours of sleep. Not because I couldn't sleep, but because I had something going on.the night before that caused me not to be able to go to bed til 1:00 and I had to be up at 5:00 the next morning. But last night I got 8 hours of sleep because I could go to bed early. Is sleep a bigger factor perhaps than body weight? Just wondering for the future so I can better use the tool to judge my own recovery.

Also, what I would really like to do is to add "leg soreness" to the factor.  Dick Brown came up with this formula based on his experience at Athletic West.  I'm not sure how many elite runners get sore muscles but us mortals tend to get it more and that should be included.  I just don't want people to go ahead and do the workout with sore leg muscles just because RI said you're recovered.

Leg soreness and dead legs to me are the factors that kick in long before the three parameters you use. Having done too many hills too soon about 10 yr ago, I'm very conscious of certain signals my muscles give me. I'll rearrange runs, if needed.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I think the leg soreness feature would be awesome! I know this cycle I have pushed through some runs and I probably should have backed off. Sore and tired leg muscles probably took longer to feel better instead of recovering! And today my sore quad kept me from running! I have taken two days off and yes stuff has been going on, bad nights of sleep and maybe coming down with a cold....but what really hampered my run this morning was my quad and the fact that I could barely jog on it....i couldn't even maintain my recovery pace. I called it a day after 30 minutes and have to chock this one up to just a bad week of training.