Running-Wizard

Stairs instead of hills? (Read 25 times)

There's a set of stairs in town that basically go up a big cliff. I'm wondering if I can use those for the hill exercises? Obviously I'd have to practice downhill strides elsewhere, but steep descents are a bit of a forte for me anyway.

There are plenty of hills for me to do the workouts as prescribed; I'm only asking because these stairs are cool and would be fun to "spring" up.

The training is going well, I've been able to handle the high aerobic miles just fine. I got 91 miles last week!

I did - at least for some of the hill workouts. Smile  They just installed some new crib steps on a poorly designed trail that was really slippery. They just begged to be run - or at least attempt. (there's 320 of them, I can do about 30-50 sec at a time, recover, go again) I used other places when I wanted to bound more consistently.

I've also got lots of hills, but none configured quite like the description, so I used configurations that I felt would be most appropriate for my races. One of my races does have uphill stairs. I'm careful to differentiate running hills with hill workouts.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

The funny thing is, this is for a flat marathon...

I wonder if there is any advantage/disadvantage to spring from a flat surface (a stair) vs an angled surface (a hill). I'm guessing it doesn't really matter, so long as hills are run regularly.

Ha, now I'm seeing ads for spiral staircases in this thread.

You asked. Wink  Not quite spiral, but some of the turns approach it.

Yes, there is a difference between stairs (flat foot) vs true hill (ramp). Foot plant is different so achilles stretch is more on a ramp.

I use these steps to simulate rocks and roots that form a stair-like surface when going uphill. The up part is more than I usually do on a ramp-like surface, so it's more strength and power. I'll use the real hills, including the other side of this hill, to maintain range of motion in foot and ankle.

You're more likely to have better traction on some stairs (depends on construction) than ramp because of the angle of foot and forces.

MTA: They're not finished with handrail cable that needs to go through the posts, trying to keep people on the trail instead of cutting switchbacks.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

That looks awesome.