Running-Wizard

Is this an error? My longest run in my HM 20 week training plan is 5 miles. (Read 48 times)

wilke925

I just signed up last night for a half marathon training plan with my planned race being December 8.  The plan I was given is a 20 week plan starting last week on July 21st (so I'm already a week behind) and the longest run in my plan is only 5 miles.  This doesn't seem near enough to have me ready to run 13 miles on race day.  Could this be a glitch?

frank777

Phew!

See the earlier thread in this forum The Longest Long Run, which I posted when I had the same concerns about my marathon plan. After reading through the numerous responses, I decided to increase the distance of my weekend slow long runs, although I still maxxed out at "only" 23km

JML

What did you enter for parameters to create the plan?

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

wilke925

What did you enter for parameters to create the plan?

I haven't run any races yet so it was kind of hard doing the questionnaire.  I think my vo2max was around 28.  Currently I'm half way through a 0-10K program which has me this week running 20 and 25 minutes at around 11min/mile.

Depending upon what you gave it for race distance and time as well as your longest run to date, it may have given you something like that - or could be an error. The plans top out at 2.5hrs, but maybe less if you're starting with a 1-hr long run or less.. My marathon plan has me maxing out at 8.5 mi in 2.5hr. I had done an 11mi race in 3 hr (on snow and frozen lakes)  not too long before this. (and have previously done many runs longer than 2.5 hrs, both this year and past years)

If you're relatively new to running (long run < 1hr) and your races haven't been hilly trails (slow times, but don't have pounding of asphalt), I can see where it might top out at 5mi.

As suggested, you might want to indicate what you gave the program as starting inputs to see whether your inputs might have been misinterpreted.

Ed to add: I was writing while you were posting. Is there a reason why you're starting with a HM, rather than a 5k or 10k? Usually having more base is really helpful.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            wilke925

I went with the HM because I am already almost at the 5K mark in my 0-10K training and since I had 19 weeks I thought that was just enough time to train for the HM.  At this point I am not that much of a "race" person.  I more enjoy the training that goes along with preparing for a race and I figured I could probably add in a 5 or 10K race along the way to get familiar with the dynamics of race day.

Based on your inputs to the pgm and what I've seen in my pgm, I'm thinking that it is not an error. RW makes some assumptions about what longest runs should be.

Couple thoughts:

1. Follow the pgm as written, and either try to run the HM (I'm skeptical), or run/walk it. BUT RW doesn't prepare you for a run/walk race.

2. If there's a 10k associated with the HM, can you run that? Having a 5mi long run would be fine for that.

3. Maybe modify the pgm so you spend more time on the endurance / base part and build your volume.

Some people adapt to distances quite readily, others don't. RW tends to be conservative trying to prevent injuries

Neither you or us knows which you are yet.

If you enjoy the training, then I'd focus on that.

Good luck.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I think AKTrail's second suggestion is very good. Use the program as it is, but shoot for a 10k. Maybe a half next spring?

Based on your inputs to the pgm and what I've seen in my pgm, I'm thinking that it is not an error. RW makes some assumptions about what longest runs should be.

Couple thoughts:

1. Follow the pgm as written, and either try to run the HM (I'm skeptical), or run/walk it. BUT RW doesn't prepare you for a run/walk race.

2. If there's a 10k associated with the HM, can you run that? Having a 5mi long run would be fine for that.

3. Maybe modify the pgm so you spend more time on the endurance / base part and build your volume.

Some people adapt to distances quite readily, others don't. RW tends to be conservative trying to prevent injuries

Neither you or us knows which you are yet.

If you enjoy the training, then I'd focus on that.

Good luck.

wilke925

Thanks for all the suggestions.  There isn't a 10K scheduled for around that time but there is a 5K so that's a possibility.  Do you think it would be better to change my program to a 5K (or maybe 10K) and complete that first and then do a HM program so I can be better prepared for a HM in the spring?  Or would my HM program that has 5 miles as the longest run be basically the same as a 5K or 10K program? 

Thanks for all the suggestions.  There isn't a 10K scheduled for around that time but there is a 5K so that's a possibility.  Do you think it would be better to change my program to a 5K (or maybe 10K) and complete that first and then do a HM program so I can be better prepared for a HM in the spring?  Or would my HM program that has 5 miles as the longest run be basically the same as a 5K or 10K program? 

If you can change your program to a shorter distance, that would make a lot of sense.

I just looked at my 10k program from 2 yr ago and compared with my current marathon program, and there are some differences (strides in 10k vs jog in marathon; shorter max intervals in the 10k; 2 hills/wk vs 1 hill and 1 general aerobic run; and probably some others). (Both of those pgms were based on running for several years, 2 hrs long run before the program, and wanting to run 5 days/wk. Different # of days/wk might have other or fewer differences.) There's a lot that's the same, but there are some differences. For a newer runner, I think the 5k or 10k pgm would give you a stronger foundation to build from.

Now that I've written that, I know there are differences between shorter and longer distance programs, but can't remember whether the dividing line was 10k or HM. Maybe somebody else can clarify, but it might be 10k and shorter are similar, and HM and longer are similar. Strides was one of the differences - being present in shorter, but not longer distance programs.

wilke925

If you can change your program to a shorter distance, that would make a lot of sense.

I just looked at my 10k program from 2 yr ago and compared with my current marathon program, and there are some differences (strides in 10k vs jog in marathon; shorter max intervals in the 10k; 2 hills/wk vs 1 hill and 1 general aerobic run; and probably some others). (Both of those pgms were based on running for several years, 2 hrs long run before the program, and wanting to run 5 days/wk. Different # of days/wk might have other or fewer differences.) There's a lot that's the same, but there are some differences. For a newer runner, I think the 5k or 10k pgm would give you a stronger foundation to build from.

Now that I've written that, I know there are differences between shorter and longer distance programs, but can't remember whether the dividing line was 10k or HM. Maybe somebody else can clarify, but it might be 10k and shorter are similar, and HM and longer are similar. Strides was one of the differences - being present in shorter, but not longer distance programs.

The difference in the 2 programs makes sense.  I sent an email to Nobby about possibly changing my program to a shorter distance but I haven't heard back yet.  So at the least if I can't change it I can use the HM one and modify it as people suggested.