Running-Wizard

Is soreness normal? (Read 33 times)

Supersono99

I'm using a 5K plan essentially for the purpose of building up the length of time I can run without a walk break. When I started the plan in March,  hadn't run more than 3 minutes at a time before a walk break. Nobby helped me select a program starting out with a 30 minute long run. It's been many weeks now and I still feel slight soreness after some of my runs. It isn't pain and doesn't stop me from running my next run as planned. Is it normal to have soreness? Am I pushing too hard? I haven't done the RI, so now that I feel sore, is it too late to start? I apologize in advance as this feels like a stupid question.

I would start the RI now, but I think it takes a few days (5?) to get enough data to have enough for a baseline, recognizing this baseline isn't when you started. Change is the big thing.

I think you still have to monitor the way your body feels, esp. any fatigue (muscle deadness) or sharper feeling (DOMS=delayed onset muscle soreness). Many people will feel some soreness for awhile while others adapt faster.

I'll have to confess that my legs will complain a long time before the RI moves, and I don't always remember to fill it in (thanks for the reminder). A lot of that is just running on hills, etc (and being older).  Granted, I have trouble remembering when I went to bed, so don't know how long I slept when I get up (when I wake up). And usually any shortness of sleep is a result of staying up late working on a project and having a morning meeting. (only thought I was retired)

Sounds like you're making good progress, and your log looks nice and steady. Good work.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Yep, I think some soreness is normal and not necessarily something you need to worry about. Just monitor it. i experience some soreness, not doms, just slight soreness, whenever I start doing something different in training. More mileage or faster runs or whatever.

Recovery  indicators are a good idea - even just the fact you're keeping track of them can make you more aware of your body's recovery needs.

agree that your log looks solid! Nice work right there.

JML

+1 on using the recovery indicators.  This will help you to differentiate normal soreness due to training from something that indicates that you should take a rest day.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Supersono99

thanks, guys. I guess I'll have to start using the RI. One of these days.

I started using the RI's as well and they helped me out alot, but more in a confirmation way, I could typically tell already that my body needed a break, but the RI let me feel okay and not guilty about taking it easy for a run or taking a whole day off.  Like AKTrail I almost always know when I am just getting worn out a few days before the RI's move downward, but seeing that little guy next to the thermometer let me feel like i wasn't just slacking off, but really did need an easy day

Supersono99

I like the potential for getting justification for feeling sluggish!