Running-Wizard

New here -- with a question (Read 39 times)

Philliefan33

Hello.  I’m new here and thought I’d introduce myself a bit before jumping in to ask questions.

I’ll be starting my RW half-marathon training on July 1st, in preparation for a race on 11/16.  This will be my second HM.  I ran my first at the end of April, about 15 months after doing C25K.  My training for that HM consisted solely of building up my mileage so that I was confident I could cover the distance.  I ran almost all “easy” miles (occasionally some fartleks out of sheer boredom when the weather relegated me to the treadmill) and managed to peak at about 37 miles/week with a LR of 12.5 miles.  My finish time was 2:26.

I’m hoping that the RW plan will help me improve my time to sub-2:20.  (The plan predicts my finish time to be just under 2:10  Shocked).  Like many of you have posted here I think the paces in the aerobic phase are a little slow, but I am willing to swallow my pride and trust the plan.

Here’s my question.  Under the “details” on the recovery indicator page, it says that it takes 14 days for the resting HR data to establish your baseline training rate.  Can I start entering RI data now, about two weeks before my plan starts?  I’m running now, I’m just not officially in the RW training plan yet.  Will I mess up my baseline if I start entering data too soon?

Oops, forgot to say that I am a 48-year old female.

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler

JML

Phillefan33,

I believe that you can go ahead and start using the Recovery Indicators now.  They will actually start functioning after you have entered four days worth of data and will become more accurate over time.  Using them consistently is an excellent way to protect against over-training.

As someone who is on his third RW training cycle, my advice is to stick with the slower paces during base building.  The resulting aerobic base that you develop is what will carry you to your sub 2:10.  I also find the early phase paces very much on the easy side but trust the plan to do the job.

Welcome aboard!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

Here’s my question.  Under the “details” on the recovery indicator page, it says that it takes 14 days for the resting HR data to establish your baseline training rate.  Can I start entering RI data now, about two weeks before my plan starts?  I’m running now, I’m just not officially in the RW training plan yet.  Will I mess up my baseline if I start entering data too soon?

I just started my plan this Sunday and entered the recovery stuff for at least a week before the plan started without issue. So I think it should be fine and maybe even a good idea so that RW has a baseline before you start.

Mt Cheaha 50k 2/23/2013:  7:34 :D

Lake Martin 50; 27 miles: 5:29:07

Run For Kids 50k, Birmingham, 5/4/2013: 6:26:33 Woot!

Philliefan33

Thank you. I started entering data  today.

Since I will be working through the aerobic phase in the heat of the summer it may not be too hard to keep to the slow paces.

Future Races:

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Just saying hello.... another B&B Penguin doing a RW plan yay!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

HI Kristin!

Are you using the RW plan for your HM in Baltimore?

I start my plan next week, with the goal a HM on November 16.  So its a 19-week plan, which might be a little too long for me to stay focused.  But of course I have good intentions, and hopefully the different phases of the training will keep me motivated.

Future Races:

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Yes....my HM is un Baltimore October 12th and I have a 20 week plan.

Good luck!

HI Kristin!

Are you using the RW plan for your HM in Baltimore?

I start my plan next week, with the goal a HM on November 16.  So its a 19-week plan, which might be a little too long for me to stay focused.  But of course I have good intentions, and hopefully the different phases of the training will keep me motivated.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:21:47 (10/12/13)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to