Running-Wizard

Does an always-encouraging RI suggest I'm not running hard enough? (Read 37 times)

I've been recording my RI factors almost every day for about six weeks now. Unless I have a short night's sleep (due to non-running factors), I get the "fully recovered" status every time. If I get to bed late, I get the "mostly recovered" status. Everything else has stayed consistent.

Am I supposed to be giving more effort on the higher-intensity days? Or since this is the base-building phase, am I supposed to be in a fully recovered state every morning? Or am I just using this as an excuse to brag about maintaining a slow resting heart rate after a forty-one day running streak?

JML

I think that this indicates that you are training properly.  I typically stay in 'fully recovered' status unless I run a hard work out too hard or don't get enough sleep etc.    I have only tripped the 'danger' level once and I knew that I was taking an off day (just felt bad) even before I input the data for the recovery indicators.  I think that the goal in training is to maintain a consistent but manageable level of training stress on your body, and it sounds like you are doing exactly that.

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

zonykel

Maybe RI should also ask how you feel. Sometimes I feel like $#%* in the morning, but RI is all happy go lucky.

however, by the evening time, when I run, my body feels fine.

it's ok, if you can't brag about your low resting hr here, where can you? Srsly, I had the same thing happen - I was almost always "fully recovered", even during the intense intervals phase and even when I felt like £%&#. I agree that this is actually a good thing! Don't push yourself too hard for the sake of having to take an easy day Smile

I've been recording my RI factors almost every day for about six weeks now. Unless I have a short night's sleep (due to non-running factors), I get the "fully recovered" status every time. If I get to bed late, I get the "mostly recovered" status. Everything else has stayed consistent.

Am I supposed to be giving more effort on the higher-intensity days? Or since this is the base-building phase, am I supposed to be in a fully recovered state every morning? Or am I just using this as an excuse to brag about maintaining a slow resting heart rate after a forty-one day running streak?

Thanks guys. Yeah, I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the running every day base building thing, and I'm feeling really good. Interestingly, as good as I feel, I ran a (long) 8K race today and was slower than expected. It was a test race for the half in a couple of weeks, which is also a test race... that's how I'm justifying racing during the aerobic phase. See, I'm not racing, I'm just "testing."

Anyway, the lack of speedwork seems to have affected my ability to suck it up in a race. I just have to remember that I'm not supposed to be able to run my fastest now.

Hungry

... Interestingly, as good as I feel, I ran a (long) 8K race today and was slower than expected.

... Anyway, the lack of speedwork seems to have affected my ability to suck it up in a race. I just have to remember that I'm not supposed to be able to run my fastest now.

I wish my "slower than expected" pace was that fast!  6:14 pace for an 8K is pretty dang fast, at least by my standards.

2013: 2647.2 miles

2014: Boston

So, I am not the best about always entering my RI's. But this new cycle I have been making an effort to get them entered every single day. During my last cycle I almost never had anything but fully recovered, but that is probably because I was inconsistent with my data and I am not sure that the program ever really knew my baselines. This time however, I entered them before my program started and have plugged in my numbers every morning. I knew I would struggle these first few eels getting used to the higher mileage runs, and this time around (so far anyway, just two weeks in) I get the train don't strain every third day it seems....which is fine, I am running the lowest end of every workout and finally starting to feel in the groove, but it definitely took a bit!

Hungry

Hi Christirei!  I was really concerned about the big jump in mileage when I started the RW marathon plan. My Higdon plan from last summer had just 1 week where my mileage peaked at 56 miles -- whereas RW had me starting around 60 mpw in January and building up slowly to 70 over the first 10 weeks. This seemed like an insane amount of running when I started. But in hindsight, I think the hardest thing (for me, anyway) was fitting it into my schedule (as opposed to the sheer mileage). Doing mid-week runs of 10+ miles, while holding down a job, and having a family and a house ... it can be challenging. As much as I prefer the RW approach to training, the Higdon plan I used last summer was much easier to fit into a working/family person's schedule. (Maybe that is what they were shooting for.)

Anyhow, keep using the Recovery Indicators as a guide. Whenever my RI said anything other than "Fully Recovered," I really needed to take it easy! Even easier than the lowest effort levels provided in the plan ranges.  I like having it there to tell me to take it easy -- it relieves any guilt I might otherwise have about "slacking."

Thanks Subdood

soooo, how often did you have to take it easy at the beginning of your plan? And, how did you change your workouts?? I am trying to keep the intensity but shorten the distance...for instance, an out and back last week was supposed to be eight miles at X pace...i ran five miles at that pace instead...what do you think is more important? pace? time on feet? The RI was only "Train don't Strain"

Hungry

Thanks Subdood

soooo, how often did you have to take it easy at the beginning of your plan? And, how did you change your workouts?? I am trying to keep the intensity but shorten the distance...for instance, an out and back last week was supposed to be eight miles at X pace...i ran five miles at that pace instead...what do you think is more important? pace? time on feet? The RI was only "Train don't Strain"

Hmm, the start of my marathon plan was disrupted by me getting the flu. I didn't run the entire week BEFORE starting the plan, and I missed running the first 3 or 4 days of the 1st week of the plan. After that, I eased into the schedule. Maybe just 8 miles total the rest of that first week, then I felt good enough the second week to bring my weekly mileage up to about 50 miles. By the 3rd week, I was doing the recommended mileage, which for me was around 60-ish per week. My mileage increased gradually from there to a peak of 70 miles at the end of the Aerobic Phase.(It might also be relevant to point out that I did an 18-week marathon training cycle last summer, ran a marathon in October, then spent November and December doing some of my own base-building prior to starting the RW plan. In other words, I had done 5 or 6 weeks of 40+ miles prior to starting RW, so that probably helped me with the transition to even higher mileage.)

Once I got over the flu, the base-building Aerobic phase felt great! I RARELY had anything other than "Fully Recovered" for my RI. (For me, I treated the handful of "Train don't Strain" days as a sign to really back off or take a complete rest day -- YMMV.)  I think that using my HRM during this phase helped me keep my intensity down to a level where I could do the scheduled mileage/time-on-feet, without feeling sore or stiff or exhausted afterwards. I would also say that "time-on-feet" has got to be more important than pace during this phase (in my very humble opinion). As this phase went on, I found myself able to run progressively faster at the SAME effort level (based on HR), so that was very encouraging to me.

I can't remember if you use a HRM. I know that you are quite fast! Is it possible that you are doing your runs at an intensity that is too high? I just know that, for me, there were only a few "Train don't Strain" days during the Aerobic Phase. I got more of them during the Anaerobic Phase. You also just finished a training cycle and have done some very recent speedwork -- this might make it even harder to lower your effort level down to where it should be in order to put in the miles/time you need.

I'm no expert. These are just my thoughts and opinions, but I hope you'll find them helpful!

Thanks so much for the input! I looked over my runs the past two weeks, and I am not running to fast right now...I think it boils down to the fact that since the beginning of April I have either been tapering or racing (or sick with stomach virus for a few days)...my three weeks prior to starting the marathon plan and my miles were twenty per week!! Which is pretty low for me, but the spring for me was very busy and I got the race results I was hoping for. Jumping from a twenty mile week to double that was a rough transition and my legs let me know they weren't exactly happy with it! This week has been better, and ironically enough...it might be because my husband was traveling and I was doing runs on my treadmill!! Softer landing surphase  Smile   I am hoping this third week to not cut any of my runs short and get all six runs in. We will see!!

Hungry

My Recovery Indicator told me to take it easy and hydrate this holiday weekend. I always follow my Recovery Indicators.

hydrate

Have a great weekend!!

Supersono99

That's hilarious.

zonykel

Excellent reminder. Gonna get a cold one!

My Recovery Indicator told me to take it easy and hydrate this holiday weekend. I always follow my Recovery Indicators.

hydrate

Have a great weekend!!