Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Medications (Read 718 times)

post your med questions here

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

In my research on different thyroid meds I had come across something called ThyroidArmour. Has anyone else herad of this or know anyone who uses it? I am constantly having to have my levels changed and never feeling quite 100%.
        Hi Emilee - in your intro post - you talked about doing well on Synthroid and your insurance co switching you to a generic. THAT IS NOT OK. There is a big difference in how our bodies respond to the different brands - and even though the "dose" may read the same, apparently how our bodies process it is not. Your doctor needs to write your prescription with "BRAND MEDICALLY NECESSARY". Insurance companies are not allowed to force you to change brands when your doc writes that on your prescription. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other - some people do better on Levoxyl than Synthroid. Armour is a combo med - contains T4 and T3. T4 is the prohormone - it needs to be converted to T3 (done at the cellular level) for your body to use it. Your thyroid also releases T3 (as well as a couple of other hormones). More on Armour and T3 later today Do you still have partial function of your thyroid? What dose are you on now? What kind of doctor is managing your thyroid meds? Family Practice? Ob/Gyn? Endocrinologist? Did your not feeling 100% start when you switched meds ? pregnant? same time? I've been working on the T3 info stuff - so your question came at a good time Smile I should have more info up in a day or two Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Burninated Peasant

Hey, that's the medication I take. I can't really tell you much about how well it works (beyond the fact that my labwork looks better), since I didn't really notice any problems/symptoms even before I started taking it.
            armourthyroid here is the link to the Armour site. Although Armour is made from pork thyroid - there is another combo drug that is beef thyroid. Caution - the armour site refers to Synthroid as "synthetic". Although it is man-made - it is bioidentical - chemically the same as the hormone produced in your body.

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

The switch to Levoxyll occured a little over two years ago. I remeber, because the shape of the pills freaked me out (who makes a jagged arrow shape for a pill?). When I was younger I could see and endo. now, my insurance won't let me see one unless I'm referred. Perhaps now isa good tiem to get that taken care of. It's just become a normal part of my life that I've accepted, so honestly I don't stay on top odf things as much as I should. I've never felt 100% to be quite honest, but I struggled with some major exhaustion and depression before the levels got settled, so now I think I feel so much better that I'm dealing. I've not felt any changes since I got preggers. I'm 11 weeks right now. My most recent change has been upped to 125 mcg. On a side note, my Mom was diagnosed shortly after I was, due to my diagnosis.
                Don't settle. I know what you mean - but "relatively" better may not be the best that you can be (no ad intended Big grin) I'm guessing that it could be a little tricky with the pregnancy, changing needs and all - and you are on a pretty good sized dose of thyroxine right now (not that it matters). With your mom having it too, I wonder if you have an autoimmune component? If you haven't already, it would be a very good idea to keep a folder with copies of your labs.

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

I'm currently on Levothyroxin - generic Synthroid. I have a prescription for Synthroid, but the pharmacy gives me the generic by default. Think I should switch to having the name brand? Anyone have much experience with those two?
                    Hi Jen, Welcome! Glad to have you in the group. It sounds like you've been through a lot this year. I think the brand choice is a personal one. I know I didn't mind being on the generic when my levels were good, because I felt OK and couldn't see paying three times that much. Other people say that for thyroid the brand name is best. Neither doctor I've been to has agreed with that, but again if you get your levels balanced and still feel bad it might be worth switching. You can just ask you doctor to write "do not substitute" on the prescription. Yay, another grad student. RunningAhead is full of us! What are you studying? Cheryl and Joni are both away for awhile, they are really active in this group so it's been quiet lately. Hopefully they'll be back soon. Welcome again.
                      Hi Shaunna! Good to know I'm not the only crazy grad student trying to juggle school and training. Smile I'm getting a degree in Integrated Life Sciences doing a project that uses genetics and statistics. I'm trying to figure out which genes are turned on in Pulmonary Hypertension. What are you studying? I've read in a few places that the name brand is usually better than the generic. I've never had anything but the generic. My doctor writes it for Synthroid but the pharmacy always fills with the generic. I have to get a recheck in a few weeks, so I might ask her about it and see if she thinks there's any difference. In theory, the generics should work as well, but that hasn't always been my experience with some other medications. Maybe it's the same for the synthroid, too.
                        I'm working on my PhD in meteorology, studying turbulence within clouds. I am sooo ready to be done with school though! I just finished my masters in the spring, so I've got a few years to go. Our computer system where we store and process all of our data is called Artemis, kinda ironic Wink
                          I've read in a few places that the name brand is usually better than the generic. I've never had anything but the generic. My doctor writes it for Synthroid but the pharmacy always fills with the generic. I have to get a recheck in a few weeks, so I might ask her about it and see if she thinks there's any difference. In theory, the generics should work as well, but that hasn't always been my experience with some other medications. Maybe it's the same for the synthroid, too.
                          Jen- here's the thing - if the generic is working for you - that's great - it's not a good idea to switch back and forth between the two. Does your doc know that you are taking generic and not Synthroid? If she writes "brand medically necessary" the pharmacy will fill the prescription with Synthroid - BUT if you switch to Synthroid now, it's possible that you would require a different dose than what you were taking with the generic - in any case, it's important that your doc is aware of those things. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

I am collaborating with an endocrinologist who treats a lot of thyroid patients. I talked to her about it this week. She said there can be up to a 25% difference in the bioavailability (how much gets into the blood stream) between Synthroid and the generics. She said she usually has her patients take the Synthroid. In my case, she recommended not switching, since I am probably on a higher dose than I would need on Synthroid and it would be hard to switch between the two at this point.
                            Running Mama

I started Levoxyl 75 mcg last week, and I'm starting to wonder if what I'm experiencing as far as side effects is "normal." I have trouble sleeping, even though I'm totally exhausted, I end up feeling like I'm going to vomit and need to eat ASAP simultaneously by the end of the night (though I take the actual pill at 5AM) and I have to pee all the time. You know, I feel like I'm pregnant! Is that normal? And if so, is it going to go away? I'm reading all of these scary things about gaining more weight when you go on the hormone pills.....I thought the idea was to STOP gaining weight since its supposed to even out your hormone levels!!

Any help is appreciated. I want to feel better soon. I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time!

Running Mama - dosing can be tricky. It's possible that your dose is too high for you. Some of your symptoms don't sound typical of levoxyl side effects, but everyone is different. Call your doctor and tell him about your symptoms. Are you checking your HR? Have you noticed any changes? Heart rate is a pretty sensitive indicator when it comes to thyroid hormones and again - you have to compare to what is normal for you - as an athlete, you probably run a low HR anyways - that's why it's so important to monitor HR and note changes from your normal values when you are going through dose adjustments.

Hang in there - it is a slow process. Have faith, you will get better!

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group