Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Useful Articles and Links (Read 1137 times)

Just wanted to add - that these articles are just a starting point for your own research to help you understand your thyroid concerns and as a guide to questions you might want to address with your doctor. Smile This is an article explaining GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and LPR(laryngopharngeal reflux) which can mimic the swallowing/ hoarseness of thyroid disease Gerd and LPR I believe this to be the most comprenhesive source of thyroid on the internet - it will get as technical as you want, but there are also many sections that are easy to understand. Thyroid Manager About.com is another good source - Mary Shomon has thyroid disease and has published several books. living with hypothyroidism Guidelines for treatment per American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists MTA: 11/11/07 Estrogen and Levothyroxine

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Just starting out - and will be working on more links and such this week Smile please feel free to share any you might have as well If you are having trouble finding info about a certain question/concern. Ask Smile sometimes it just takes knowing the right keywords to use for your searches.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Lab Tests: Basic tests Free T3

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Great book for general info especially regarding tests Thyroid Paradox Links to lots of articles about ferritn levels and what it means to your thyroid function Ferritin articles article on thyroid testing excerpt from above article... To follow the TSH while you are treating someone for low thyroid is also going to lead to under-treating the patient. The pituitary cells, which have TSH in them, are the most sensitive cells in the body circulating thyroid hormone. Therefore when one treats hypothyroidism by following the TSH and trying to make it normal the pituitary cells are happy but the rest of the body is short-changed by a considerable amount

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Goitrogenic Foods

are foods that can interfere with your thyroid function - it doesn't mean that you can't eat any of them, but maybe use moderation. Some of the effects are lessened in some of those foods if consumed cooked rather than raw. If you do a search on "goitrogens" or "goitrogenic foods" you will find more info.

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Awww man, spinach?  I love spinach.  Thanks for the link Cheryl.  I did not know this.

Top 'O the World!

I knew about spinach, but peanuts, soy, coffee, peaches, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, sweet potatoes...DAMM! many things that I eat regularly
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Okay, I have to say that coffee doesn't show up on all of the lists.....

& I found this website: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Tell me whatcha think?

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Okay, I have to say that coffee doesn't show up on all of the lists.....

& I found this website: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Tell me whatcha think?

Cindy - I have found a lot of good info and articles on that site - BUT - I am personally not in complete agreement with everything that is being promoted. I don't think that everyone should be on Armour, and not everyone can tolerate it. The main point being made is that our bodies need to take in T3 as well as T4. The problem, when you take T3 orally, it isn't hitting your system the same way as when it is being released into your bloodstream by your thyroid. Some people can't tolerate taking T3, even in small doses, other people do just fine with it. There is no question that just taking T4 replacement is a much safer way to go - and  I think it's worth giving it a sufficient trial before adding T3 to the mix - especially if you still have at least partial function of your thyroid. The other hormones being produced are calcitionin which helps control calcium flow in/out of your bones - your parathyroids also function to do this and they are not affected by thyroid disease. As far as T1 and T2 go - we just don't know enough about them to say what effect they have, if any. I've looked at the molecular structure of thyroxine (with the help of my DH who is a ChemE), as well as reading research articles, and the current thought  is that they are just remnants of the breakdown process of T4 to T3 - do they also help with conversion? We just don't have the technology yet to say. Armour has set proportions of T4 to T3 and those ratios may not be optimum for you, and right now there is also a shortage in some areas as so many patients are requesting to switch to this brand. If you do decide to go this route - check availability in your area first. I've known people who swear by Armour and others who simply couldn't tolerate it at all.

I do believe that I have a problems with conversion. I have supplemented with everything I can come up with to assist conversion, in particular paying attention to getting adequate selenium and getting my ferritin levels up to the 50-70 range. I did have a trial of cytomel and synthroid - I went hyper on a relatively low dose (even though my thyroid levels never went above the "normal" range). Ask anyone who has been hyper - it is not a good place to be.

The hardest thing about thyroid disease - is that there is no quick fix. It takes time to find the right dose, it takes time to reach stable levels, it takes time for your body to recover from being hypo and for your symptoms to resolve after you do reach stable levels.

If you are wondering whether or not adding T3 to your medication would help - you need to get your FT3 levels checked as well as your FT4. If you have autoimmune disease, than you should be having your FT4 checked by direct dialysis - that method cleans out any antibodies that could be interferring and giving a false high result to your FT4, and that false high will definitely affect how your doc is going to want to adjust your doses.

I do believe that you have the right to be symptom free and you should pursue it, but I also think that if T4 alone can work for you (and it does for many people), then it's a safer and easier way to take your thyroid meds.

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

MTA: dead link removed

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

http://nahypothyroidism.org/deiodinases/

This is a link to the National Academy of Hypothyroidism. It was started by an MD who currently runs a clinic on anti-aging in California. There are quite a few interesting articles on their site.

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Elly.

Hypothyroidism in endurance athletes

This link does not seem to work. 

I have hypothyroidism and have been treated with Synthroid or levoxyl for over 10 years.  I saw my doc today, having gained another 3 pounds in the last three months.  My running times are getting slower and slower, bike times are slower, swimming, well I'm happy that fat floats, so I am buoyant.  Doc gave me 5 mcg of Liothyrnine to take along with the Synthroid. 

I used to think that Thyroid problems were just an excuse for being horribly overweight.  I'm not horribly overweight, but I should not be overweight at all given the healthy diet I try to follow and the hours of training I do. 

Just had to get this off my chest, and see if this addition will help. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

Hi Elly! Love your photos - I even bought the one you took of me at the Monkey 2 years ago Smile.

I couldn't find that article anymore, I'll remove the link.

It's great that you have a doc who is willing to try you with cytomel. Did he drop your dose of synthroid or just add the  Liothyrnine? Have you had your free T3 levels checked? I'm betting that it will make a difference for you, once you get the right doses going. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Cheryl

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

Elly.

I guess it's a really small world with Running Ahead!  I'm glad to hear that you raced the Monkey, and thanks for the compliment.  I live next door to the park, and I run parts of it two to three times a week. 

I'm really interested in the hypothyroidism.  I was diagnosed ages ago, and frankly it's been such a problem trying to keep my enthusiasm up for working out.  A few years ago, I lost around 20-25 pounds.  This winter my weight has been creeping back up.  The snowy, icy winter has not helped.  So my Doc thought it might be time to tinker with the thyroid.  It was slightly low.  She is going to test me in a few weeks.  

I think the test will be if I can get my rear off the couch and run, cycle and swim with the joy as I used to.  If I lose some weight, then I deserve it. 

Thanks for heading up this forum.  Smile

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

your morning coffee may be interfering with your medication absorption....

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/Coffee-Espresso-Thyroid-Medication-Levothyroxine.htm?nl=1

I remember a study regarding a multi-vitamin doing the same years back which had me moving my multi's to at night...I'm to the point now where I think I'll just take my thyroid meds first thing in the a.m. and wait 60 minutes before I eat or drink ANYTHING. As if this stupid disorder wasn't frustrating enough.