Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

running effecting levels? (Read 302 times)

cml2002

I was diagnossed with hypothyroidism about 6 years ago.  I just recently started running earlier this year (I have completed one 5k and my second one is coming up on the 16th) 

Recently I realized that I have been feeling super sluggish so I had my endo check my thyroid and it turned out my tsh was a little on the highside so he raised my dosage.

My husband seems to think my levels have changed because of the running.  Has anyone had issues with this?  In a good week I go to the gym 3 mornings and run atleast 2 evenings (only about 2-3 miles)

HappyFeat

I have not had the amount I run affect my thyroid levels. I believe what seems to affect my thyroid the most is female hormone fluctuations.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I do think it's possible - and I believe I've had problems with this as well. I think of it as supply and demand. Metabolism is driven by thyroid hormone - if you increase your body's demand (running) and your thyroid gland can't compensate, you "could" end up more hypo. It's a weird thing - I think there is individual variation as to which body system is more sensitive to decreased amount of hormone. For me, it's always my GI tract  - the first thing I notice when my levels drop, is a loss of appetite, the effect on my exercise/running is a late symptom  For someone else, it could be something different.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group