Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

How's everyone doing? (Read 524 times)

I am happy to report that my levels finally seem to be in order and stable!!!!!! I feel great!!!! It's been very quiet in here so hoping this means that everyone else is doing well and enjoying summer running Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Hey Cheryl! Great news!! I am also feeling good (I haven't felt this great in over 2 years and I have to say it's wonderful). I'm not getting tested again until Labor Day and I'm interested to see what my labs are then. I am having trouble maintaining my weight with the injury/surgery but I think it's due to my body type and tendancy to put on weight quickly, not thyroid/ metabolism issues. I noticed we have a few new members, so "hi and welcome" Smile
      HappyFeat

Thanks for the inquiry. I'm really glad you two are feeling tip-top. I'm doing ok. I've been stable on my long time dose of 100 mcg Synthroid once again, although I have yet to go in for a follow-up lab test. Been procrastinating, but must do it soon because I have "no refills left!" I'm glad all the frightening hyperthyroid symptoms are gone, but feel too tired to run most days or the day just plain gets away from me. I need to whip myself back into shape. As of this week, I'm down to a measly 3 miles when I do go out. Our local half-marathon happens tomorrow and I hate hearing myself say "I used to do that." After practically a lifetime of running, it's come to this? I have a family reunion next month out of state, so I'm going to use that to motivate me to get back in shape.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi Amy - sorry to hear that you are dealing with fatigue issues. It will be interesting to see if your levels have anything to do with that or not. Keep us posted when you get the results. Let us know if you need a kick to help you get out the door - Shaunna and I are pretty good at that too Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Well I tested low enough, I get to start the next higher dose of Synthroid tomorrow and get retested in 6 weeks. I've been continuing with my 3-milers, but it's all I can do; so I'm really looking forward to seeing some improvement. That said, other things can also sap your energy. For example, I had to put my 18-year-old cat Calvin to sleep today. It's very sad and painful even when it's necessary and kind and humane and all that. I'm wiped out. Hope to have more cheerful news next post.

((((((((Amy))))))) sorry to hear about Calvin. Sad Do you have a picture of him? What kind of cat was he?

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

This was Calvin just 3 years ago. He was doing well until just recently and then he went downhill very quickly. We got him as a kitten, and he lost an eye when he was 4 (probably to a racoon), but it was never a problem for him. He was a very loving cat and and we'll miss our special buddy. Thanks for asking about him.

Aww Amy I'm really sorry about your loss. It sounds like Calvin had a very loved life. What values did you get tested that came back low- was it just TSH?
                  HappyFeat

Yes it was just TSH and it's just at the edge where normal meets low, but it's enough that it makes a big difference to me. I happen to be very sensitive to how my body feels. My nurse practitioner says people generally feel best when their TSH is around 1 and so that's our goal. Usually I get tested for TSH, T3 and T4, but this time she only wanted to see TSH and the same in 6 weeks. I like to see all the numbers, but I've only been seeing her for a little under a year and she's been so much better than the doctor I was seeing for the last 6 years, I'll just go with it and not ask for other tests unless I don't see improvement.

Calvin was a big cat! He was a beauty Smile I've known a number of people who have had better luck with a nurse practictioner rather than a doc when they have had trouble getting their dosages straight. I'm glad you have found someone who is looking at you as a total package. I don't think that some people even realize that they can go to a nurse practicitioner for their thyroid.

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi: I am wondering if anyone experiences any wide swings in energy and moods from day to day? Yesterday was awesome. I ran 5 miles at a rate of 11:48 per mile, which is speedy for me. I came pouding in that last mile, almost at a sprint and I felt I could continue for miles. Just felt really strong. And my mood was energetic and postive all day long. But this morning, I am a total crab with no, zero, zip energy. I was able to crank out 4 miles, but it wasn't enjoyable. Here I am at work, still crabby and still trying to find some spunk to get through this day. Are these swings typical for a hypo thyroid problem? Or is it just me? What can I do to snap out of it? Kate
                          Hi: I am wondering if anyone experiences any wide swings in energy and moods from day to day? Yesterday was awesome. I ran 5 miles at a rate of 11:48 per mile, which is speedy for me. I came pouding in that last mile, almost at a sprint and I felt I could continue for miles. Just felt really strong. And my mood was energetic and postive all day long. But this morning, I am a total crab with no, zero, zip energy. I was able to crank out 4 miles, but it wasn't enjoyable. Here I am at work, still crabby and still trying to find some spunk to get through this day. Are these swings typical for a hypo thyroid problem? Or is it just me? What can I do to snap out of it? Kate
                          Kate, that's a hard call. You are still dealing with the anemia issues, you ran hard yesterday, you are working...lots of stuff going on. How much sleep are you getting? Wish I had something to offer, but all I have is a (((((HUG)))))...hang in there, and hoping tomorrow is a better day for you. Cheryl

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

jpnairn

straw man

I agree that it's hard to call. Until you know that it's an ongoing problem, I would just chalk it up to "you have good days and bad days." Doing the runs on the days when you don't feel like it is what makes it possible to have those days when you feel great.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Thanks for the insight Cheryl and Jerry. Today was a much better 4 mile run and my legs even feel springy right now. I think that sleep definitely played a factor. I only get about 6 hours each night. The night before the bad run, my 10 year old daughter came into our bed with a stomach ache around midnight, and after uncomfortable tossing about, I packed it up for a few hours on the couch. Certainly not an ideal rest.

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Had a blood panel the other day and got good news--things are now in the normal range, although the anemia is still somewhat persistant as my red blood cell count in the very low area of normal. I am now taking 137 mg of a generic Synthroid as my maintanence amount daily. Anyone have experience (good or bad) with a generic brand? This is all so new to me. Engery levels are still high and I have been running like crazy--for me anyway--since a few months ago I was not running at all. Hope everyone else is taking care of themselves. Kate