Thyroid Q and A or Running Hot and Cold

Updates Please (Read 636 times)

HappyFeat

*Soapbox Alert*  Let me first say that as far as I'm concerned there's no such thing as "whiny and self absorbed" here.  This is the place you can share what you're going through without worrying about being judged because we really do understand the mental and physical challenges involved in dealing with thyroid issues. OK I'll get off my Soapbox now

Kate, I know very well what you're going through with the fatigue and back and leg problems. It can be so discouraging; but over time you can work through it and enjoy your running again.  BTW, did you know you can take a chewable Vitamin C?  I have trouble swallowing pills, so I take chewable Vit C and calcium, and I consider the Synthroid to be chewable.  Mine is sweet.  Also, when I was anemic, I also had to take a Vit. B12 supplement to correct the problem. I don't know if that would speed up your response to the iron supplements or not.  I still take the B12 because I'm vegetarian and realized I should have been taking it all along - it's the kind that dissolves under your tongue (kinda like chewable) I hope you get your energy back soon and I'm glad your leg/back injury is on the mend.

Also, did you know not to take any mineral supplements within 4 hours of your Synthroid? This is very important because the minerals (especially iron) will bind up the thyroid hormone so you can't have it. This includes fortified cereals and I've also been told: any products with bran or high fiber. There's other guidelines like that pertaining to taking your thyroid hormone - which you might already know about - but I thought I'd throw this in here, especially since you're taking iron.

Cheryl, thank you for your words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.

Do your doctors think your thyroid levels are connected to your bone loss?  You feel best at the high end of normal, so I just wondered since I've read that a hyperthyroid state is connected with bone loss. Maybe for you, it doesn't have to be hyper to do that. Doesn't it have to do with robbing calcium from your bones when the thyroid is overactive? Does boosting your Calcium help? What about Vitamin D supplements? Has your Vitamin D level been tested? That's the big thing here right now.  If your D is low, it doesn't matter how much Calcium you take, you'll still lose bone density. Just a thought. 

~Amy

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Kate - +1 to what Amy said - no worries about venting in here - we understand how helpful it is to be able to say that stuff out loud sometimes!

Amy - I have my Vitamin D and calcium levels checked regularly - I've been supplementing for over 3 years. My thyroid levels have never been at the high end of normal, in fact, it's been a battle to get them to just over the 50% range of normal, other than my TSH. The fact is, I have stable weight, a resting HR of 54, no tremors, and every thyroid lab in the mid-normal range other than my TSH. That one value is just not a valid overide to all the other data that says I am euthyroid. I was also checked out by a bone endocrinologist after I had my 4th stress fracture and it was his opinion that my bone loss was within range for normal post menopausal loss and not due to my thyroid dose. Both my mother and grandmother had osteoporosis, so there is a likely genetic link. Research still has not shown why  women go through a period of accelerated bone loss for approximately a 5 year period beginning with the onset of menopause - it's called "bone pause". I'm just trying to cover all my bases and do everything I can to help slow the process down. It's one of the reasons that I started strength training - running alone isn't enough.

There is something else - being hyperthyroid can accelerate bone loss by increasing the activity of osteoclasts - those are the cells responsible for tearing bone down, BUT if you are hypothyroid, that can suppress the activity of the osteoblasts - those are the cells for building your bone up - same result for your bones just a different route.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Oh sorry, Cheryl, I guess I thought your TSH alone being high might translate over to bone loss; but that's obviously not the case. You have such a thorough understanding of the the subject - I'm in awe. Thanks for providing the further info on bone loss. I'm going to start printing and saving your posts in a reference file - really!

Amy - no apologies - but as you can tell, it's a sensitive issue with me  - I've been fighting this bias with my docs from my first post surgery labs, and I fear that I will be fighting this the rest of my life. My first TSH post surgery was .39 - I was dropped from a dose of 125 mcg to a dose of 100 mcg and 6 weeks later my TSH was down to .18 with a dramatic drop in my FT4 levels. I was decreased to 88 mcg, and still my TSH kept dropping. That should have been a big clue that "something" wasn't right with how my TSH was reacting to synthroid, but it still took many months of hell after that before I could even get other thyroid labs done. That was when I really started doing a lot of research on thyroid disease. In the meantime, I have been subjected to a ridiculous amount of testing, and still no clear ideas on why my body is responding in this atypical fashion. I appreciate your comments and questions - both show that you have done your homework! Thanks for all your input 

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Hi all,

I must say, I love reading all your experiences (bad thing though, to enjoy another one's misery) but I learn a lot, I am still a greeny on this thyroid issues.

3 weeks ago I have been to my "second opinion" endocrinologist and she put me back on 50mg Euthyrox and I feel me again. It feels like I have been in another body those last months and now I am back.

Together we have made a plan on how to handle the medication when I would get palpitations or a too high HR. ( my pulse in rest is already about 68-76) It is great to have a endocrinologist who treats me, in stead of only my blood results.

I am running 5k runs again, not fast but I enjoy every minute of them.

Today is another beautiful day

HappyFeat

Yaay! Joanne that is great news! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Awesome news, Joanne! I am so happy for you!

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Joanne:  you are 100 percent faster than the person who never runs!  Its amazing how well you can feel when the medication is at the right dose.  I know exactly what you mean; it is life changing to have energy again.  Keep moving forward.   Thank you for spreading some sunshine here!  Kate

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Ok today was an amazing 7 mile run.  I felt I could have gone miles without any effort.  I am back on the iron tablets (thanks for the hints Happyfeet about chewables), and I can't wait to see how I feel after the iron tablets have taken effect.  A good day that I thought I would share with you all.
                      Great news, Kate! Those runs are so worth sharing - thanks

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

HappyFeat

Loved hearing that you had such a great run today, Kate...here's a celebratory (((hug))).

Well Kate,

You are spreading sunshine as well. Great to read that you can also have good runs again thanks to you medication.

Joanne

Today is another beautiful day

Top 'O the World!

Terrific news Kate!  

Sorry I'm not in here much....busy Summer stuff....

Not sure how much my medication is helping yet...maybe in subtle ways....maybe not quite yet...I dunno.  only been 5 wks so far...daily's are feeling better, but I don't know if thats the meds or my committment to easy daily runs...???

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Cindy:  Your  log looks great.  All those miles and the Bolder Boulder.  I am a Colorado girl, also, who happened to fall in love with a midwestern flat lander--how in the world does that happen?  I see that  you run with your dogs, too.  I love having a resident training partner, so motivating. 

I think it does take several weeks if not months to get the right levels of medication in your system.  But you are probably feeling the effect of the meds starting to work and the mileage has a kick-back too.  Keep it up.   

Driver, Runner, Bestie

Hi Everyone:  Just gave a small tube of blood today for a six month check of my thyroid levels.  Its always nerve racking because I dread any change in my dose.  I've been on my  meds for about one year now, have been steadily running and kept off about  25 pounds without any real struggle.  I know what I felt like before I was diagnosed and I don't want to go back.  

Now I know I haven't been as faithful to the iron supplements as I should, so I suspect I will be scolded, nothing new, though, I survive the lecture about flossing on my bi-annual dental visits. 

Hope all is well and I'd love to hear from you all about how you are doing.   Kate